Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hanging icicle lights

I mentioned in the session yesterday that I use metal hooks in my soffits to hold my icicles. Here are a couple pictures I just ran across for how I have them installed.
    -img_2737.jpg
    From this one, you can see that I have the power runs behind my regular icicles.

-img_2738.jpg
    This is a close up of the hooks. As mentioned in the session yesterday, They've been here a while and have been painted over a couple times.

-img_2739.jpg

I hope this info helps!!!
    - Scott M.
    Likes rcktpwrd, kidcole liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Cool Re: Hanging icicle lights

Nice setup Scott.

We did it another way this year, I don't currently have pics. Like Denny we zip-tied our icicle lights to PVC pipe, then I mounted clips to the fascia board just under the gutter that the pipe snaps into. I used 3 clips per section. Our icicle lights are about 10 feet long which matches perfectly with 10 foot pipe sections. I also used couplings between the sections to help keep everything aligned.
    Theses are the clips: 1/2" PVC Pipe Mounting Clip

I think Dariusz @Bartek does something a little differently as well.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hanging icicle lights

Where do people buy good quality zip ties that are cheap?

Denny how do you mount your lights to the furring strips that you binder clip to the shingles, staples or zipties? Do you paint the wood black or dark color?
    This year is all about increasing the speed I can assemble and take down my lights. Any extra advice is always useful.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

here are a couple pics I just took of the clips mounted to the fascia, they are fairly discreet. They are about a inch from the soffit and stick. Try not to pay attention to the spider webs and bug remnants...

I got a zip ties from Amazon...
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post

Denny how do you mount your lights to the furring strips that you binder clip to the shingles, staples or zipties? Do you paint the wood black or dark color?
    This year is all about increasing the speed I can assemble and take down my lights. Any extra advice is always useful.
    Monoprice is the best place for releasablezip ties and they also offer lower prices as you buy more. Currently I think you can also get $10 off on an order ..

Releasable cable tie 12 inch 50LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black - Monoprice.com
    Releasable cable tie 10 inch 50LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black - Monoprice.com
    Releasable Cable Tie 8" for Cable Management - Monoprice
    Releasable cable tie 6 inch 50LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black - Monoprice.com
    Releasable cable tie 6 inch 50LBS, 100pcs/Pack - White - Monoprice.com

I like the clear ones but wish they offered them longer. I still use a couple hundred clear ones each year. And a bunch of black ones.

My icicle lights are zip tied to PVC pipe. I use white wire and clear releasable zip ties. For my new house, I am going to make up my own icicles from pixel strings (this year), and those will also be zip tied to PVC pipe. We learned from Petr how to do this a couple years ago. Someone should write this up for others ..

For roof edges and window frames, I mostly use Cedar strips. I also prime them and paint them good, so they will last. For those I usually Staple on the strings. I ALWAYS use Stainless Steel Staples. Otherwise they will rust out in a couple years. I am working with Sam Wu in China to have him make some oversized pixel bulbs to be used as path lights, funky window lights and exaggerated roof edge lights. Those will have square bases that will screw onto the strips. Each pixel will have three LEDs in the base and the large bulb covers will screw on. I'll be using them around my roof.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you don't care about the reusable zip ties the cheapest place is Home Depot 1000 ties for right under $20 they are good quality also.

8 in. UV Cable Tie - Black (1000-Pack), GT-200STB at The Home Depot - Mobile

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I went in with Denny last year on releasable black zip ties. they were long and UV resistant. I've used them for two 3 month seasons so far and they still look brand new. Definitely a good deal. As mentioned I also have some short white ones from HD that are disposable.