Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Mini String Testers

When your display has tens of thousands of light, you will have strings that fail everyday. Finding the bad bulb that keeps the string from lighting can be frustrating. Here are three tools that I use.

Light Keeper Pro. This is a handy device. I must admit that I don't always reach for it first.
    http://lightkeeperpro.com/

Greenlee Non-Contact Voltage Tester. You simply run this up and down the string until the voltage is not present. No voltage on one side of the socket and voltage on the other side means the voltage stopped at that socket. I like this tool.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-12&lpage=none

Buzz box. This is an interesting device. It sends a high voltage pulse through the wiring. An open circuit condition will buzz. The buzzing is soft but audible. This is the tester to use if you are at wits end. It is fast too. The price at this website is not the best. You need to read the instruction sheet throughly before you use it.
    http://www.christmasdonebright.com/l...s/light-tester

A small plastic tool box filled with replacement bulbs and fuses is the way to go. The Lightkeeper and Greenlee tool fit inside nicely.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mini String Testers

Al,

All good suggestions. I have used all of them except for the buzz box.

You forgot to mention the last, and to me most important thing when none of those work, rip the dang incadescent string out, and replace with reliable LEDs. I'll be about 90% LEDs this year, I run of of patience quickly if a string of minis don't work when I plug them in.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mini String Testers

I have a "buzz box". It has been the best thing I ever purchased. I didn't get it from CDB, but it works on the same principle. It's a great tool to find where there's a loose wire, loose bulb, or a broken one...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!