Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Wire and Harness Tagging

I am trying to think through my wiring plan so I can easily remove and re-install wires and harnesses in the same locations next year. I get great replies when I throw subjects out here, so here's another !

Can some of you describe your tagging system, what type of tags do you use that won't get wiped out from the weather a couple months a year ?

I would also like some insight as to what you put on your tags?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Wire and Harness Tagging

I hadn't done that in years past, as it didn't really matter with a mostly static display. My "Mcr. Christmas Lights and Sounds Of Christmas" wiring harnesses were rather obvious, so I didn't need to mark them.

This year switching to LOR I'll have to give that some thought. I participated in the gorup buy of SPT2 wire on here earlier, so it will be more important to mark any custom cords for re-use without re-cutting. I'm looking forward to other's replies.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like these Wayne, but australia seems like overkill ! Ha !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

gezzz, it was just to show them. A search will bring up many suppliers in the USA.

Just a few.

http://www.labelcity.com/rhinopro/Dy...%20Tubes.shtml

http://www.labelmore.com/dymo/18051.html

http://www.ptouchdirect.com/dymo/18051.html

I think I have even seen these in either Lowes or Home Depot, not 100% sure on that.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The first year I tagged my cables... Second year I removed ALL tags...

The tags I had would catch on cables and made clean up a bear... Then the next year it was a pain to sort all the cables by tags... Much easier to just start with your controller list and grab a cable and connect each one as I go... My cable coiler I am making will make clean up a snap....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like the perspecitves. I am thinking I am somewhere in the middle. I have assigned various light groups to the same controller (which is obvious). And I think I will use tie wraps to harness those as a group. I think it will be simple to uncoil a harness and put it back where it came from. I am curious about your cable coiler tho. Post some pics and specs once you have it working ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's what I do. 95% of all my wiring is SPT and vampires. I spray paint the vampires the color of the light strings they will control, then mark the chanel number (sometimes controller and channel #) on each vampire on each end.

Since I am mostly all LED, I also use SPT and vampires as the output on my controllers. Then I'm color coded and numbered and it makes setup very quick. Some of my SPT wires I bundle into cables using heatshrink tubing, and use a silver or white paint pen to label the cable use (shows up great on the black heatshrink.

If I move stuff around, I can reuse the vampires by wiping with laguer thinner, removing the old numbers and apply new ones, plus I save the old SPT for reuse later somewhere else.

Just what seems to work for me. With 320 channels, the color coding really speeds it up and helps prevent mistakes especcially if I have 4 different colors of strings on the same controller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -8x6vampirepaint.jpg   -mtsnake1.jpg   -p2100509.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John that is really a nice system and quite easy to find in near darkness. What color are you planning to paint the connectors for your CCRs so I don't confuse them in the dark while I'm stealing your CCRs? You wouldn't want me stumbling around in your yard hunting for them. Safety first is my motto.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, in that case I'll use that bright flourescent orange color.

I could even use a motion sensor light to illuminate them when you approach. That would make it easier for me to aim the .45 also. Wouldn't want you falling down until after the trigger is pulled.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What, no night vision goggles? Oh wait; the light display would cause the field of view to get washed out.

Al - it's nice of you to consider removing the CCR's for repair, as you're convincned that John's going to connect them incorrectly and blow them up, but why would you want to? Let him learn from his own mistakes and pay for the repairs himself.

Walter had a firefly unit at the meeting you could get repaired. No need to go traipsing around possibly tripping over painted extension cords.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John , that would be very nice. A light would be nice too. Since your gun only has 6 shots, I'll get 6 people from PC to help. Let me get my pencil to write down some possibilities. You would be doing PC a noteworthy cause.

A 0.45 pistol is a large pistol. Now why do you have such a large pistol? Are you compensating for something like women say men do with Corvettes?

Please note that John hijacked this thread.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hmmm ... well. to get back on the tagging discussion.

Great system John. I will try to use some of that with my setup. I only have 96 channels this year .. most likely more next year (of course !) - so I think organization is key to simplifying expansion.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    John , that would be very nice. A light would be nice too. Since your gun only has 6 shots, I'll get 6 people from PC to help. Let me get my pencil to write down some possibilities. You would be doing PC a noteworthy cause.

A 0.45 pistol is a large pistol. Now why do you have such a large pistol? Are you compensating for something like women say men do with Corvettes?

Please note that John hijacked this thread.
    Al
    WRONG: I have 30 round clips (from Colt "grease" guns) for all of my .45 Autos, the full size Govt model, mid size Commander, and the small frame Officers model. Here at home I keep the 30 shot clips loaded in all three. So, bring your Army with you Al, plus a calculator so you can keep up with the
    rounds fired (I know you can't count to 30)

EDIT: and what was your "job" in the Army? (I know, but wasn't going to post it here since you only revealed it in a PM to me.)
    Last edited by John; 10-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    What, no night vision goggles? Oh wait; the light display would cause the field of view to get washed out.

Al - it's nice of you to consider removing the CCR's for repair, as you're convincned that John's going to connect them incorrectly and blow them up, but why would you want to? Let him learn from his own mistakes and pay for the repairs himself.

Walter had a firefly unit at the meeting you could get repaired. No need to go traipsing around possibly tripping over painted extension cords.
    Jack, thanks for your concern for Al and his safety. However, if you know Al, he's the one that would connect them incorrectly and blow them up, not me.

Just ask Al how to change the unit ID number on multiple controllers already out in the display, all at the same time, to the SAME ID number! This was a tip he shared with us last year. No wonder he's not doing a display this year.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com