Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: SPT cable fire

Was I the only one to take his wife's Press & Seal outside to cover exposed cord ends when they forecasted rain? It kept the dew and dripping water off while the snow was melting. By only using what's needed for each joint, it wasn't obvious.
    Water between a hot and common doesn't create a groung fault only resistance and heat. Heat shrink doesn't water proof electrical joints but you can apply liquid electical tape before heat shrinking to aid in waterproofing.
    Just my understanding of how things work though.
    Regards,
    Grady

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's a great tip Grady. We hope to document a lot of things for a beginner's guide. Hopefully this tip will make it in there. I would bet something like Saran Wrap would also work but might not stay put... Did you use a heat-gun (or something) to adhere the press n seal in place ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, Glad Press'n Seal is a kitchen wrap that sticks together when you press it together with your fingers or on a counter top. I pressed it together with two fingers. It doesn't stick to everything and tangle up like Saran, I hate that product! I tried using all the Saran Wrap to wrap lights in to keep them wrapped tight. It did work for that job. Take some Press'n Seal outside and try it.
    Regards,
    Grady

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ah .. I was thinking of the heat-seal stuff. I think I've seen the Press n Seal but haven't tried it. Sounds like a great tip !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is good info, I have not tried this product either, nor have I seen any other info on the forums with regards to it's effectiveness. I may give it a whirl this year. Thanks for the tip Grady...
    Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Grady View Post
    Was I the only one to take his wife's Press & Seal outside to cover exposed cord ends when they forecasted rain?
    Grady -

Uh, yeah, I think you were.

Why did you wait until the forecast called for rain, though? It sounds like a great idea and probably done better when it's dry.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Jack, I may have used the wrong word. I thought "fore" in "forecast" meant they were telling you before it happened. Oh well, we all mess up sometime. lol
    Regards,
    Grady

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sometimes it takes hearing it's going to rain to interrupt the other thing you're doing to go do that. I'm guilty of that myself.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Cutting corners will cause fires.... Please if you do nothing else DO NOT WRAP YOUR CONNECTION IN ANYTHING!!! All you are going to do is cause water to accumulate and not allowed it out... Then corrosion will become your problem... Yes even Heat shrink will not keep water out... Saran wrap? Come on people get real... If you feel the desire to do something... At most maybe elevate the connection off the ground... Unless it is a place that puddles when it rains no need to even do this...

I do not understand people... People buy the cheapest material they can and then wonder why they have these problems... "Oh if I use GFIs everything is good".... GFIs have a purpose.... And do a good job... But if you think you can cut corners and GFIs are going to save you.... LOL Good luck...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by melwelch View Post
    Cutting corners will cause fires.... Please if you do nothing else DO NOT WRAP YOUR CONNECTION IN ANYTHING!!! All you are going to do is cause water to accumulate and not allowed it out... Then corrosion will become your problem... Yes even Heat shrink will not keep water out... Saran wrap? Come on people get real... If you feel the desire to do something... At most maybe elevate the connection off the ground... Unless it is a place that puddles when it rains no need to even do this...

I do not understand people... People buy the cheapest material they can and then wonder why they have these problems... "Oh if I use GFIs everything is good".... GFIs have a purpose.... And do a good job... But if you think you can cut corners and GFIs are going to save you.... LOL Good luck...

Mel Welch will cause fires.......

Mel - you're right; don't depend on the GFCI to be the end-all; it's just one tool in the group.

I've used plastic for rain shields like an umbrella only; trying to keep the water from finding a path into the controller, not trying to keep it from coming back out if it does some how get inside. I've always left the bottom open for air flow to dry condensation. I generally use those plastic light stakes to elevate connections as my yard generally stays soggy (hoping to fix one of the causes of that today, getting the old cracked water line replaced.)

I never even thought about someone wrapping the controller/cord/etc. so tight that water getting in (and it will get in) can't get back out, but from the reaction of the "experienced" people, obviously it's a problem.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by melwelch View Post
    I do not understand people... People buy the cheapest material they can and then wonder why they have these problems... .
    First off, my education and experience says that using SPT is not a bad idea. Second, the ONLY difference between SPT cable and an extension cord is one is made in a factory and another is made in my home. Third, GFCIs help to save lives. A GFCI was never intended to be a cure all and take the place of common sense, but it does eliminate a very likely path to ground and severes current flow with respect to that. I worked in the industry that made GFCIs, AFCIs, and the like. My original post clearly states that a GFCI tripped whereas the breaker would not. I know, I experimented with it, and it stopped the arc. Fourth, the failure mode was a small wire that was not fully cut during assembly. I am human, and I make mistakes. Chinese extension cord manufacturers make mistakes too. So, would I put cheap crap into my display? No. Not now, not ever.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post

I am human, and I make mistakes. Chinese extension cord manufacturers make mistakes too. So, would I put cheap crap into my display? No. Not now, not ever.
    Say it isn't so, Al! You make mistakes? What will Deb say?

Some how, I don't think the Chinese extension cord manufacturers quality control is much better than those vampire plugs.

Cheap crap, no. Items from the lowest cost provider, yes.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry Guys, I have to use cheap Crap or their will be no display. I agree in part with what MelWelsh said. My intent was only to create a drip sheld that would not blow off the drop cord joints in the yard. As Al had previously recommended the joints were all elevated. The covering had no seams on the top and the wire had drip loops. Granted there is water proofing materials that can be procured but makes breakdown more time consuming. I do not agree with leaving drop cords plugged together in the rain with power on them (I have done it though). The zip plugs on the lights give me even more concern. I had intended to show Denny some examples of how I used the product at the February Meeting to get his opinion whether or not it was a viable solution. There is enough talent on this site to come up with a solution without buying water resistant plugs or just leaving them in the rain.
    I agree with MelWelsh on the Saran Wrap though, but it is the cheaper product.
    Regards to you all,
    Grady

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Grady View Post
    Sorry Guys, I have to use cheap Crap or their will be no display. I agree in part with what MelWelsh said. My intent was only to create a drip sheld that would not blow off the drop cord joints in the yard. As Al had previously recommended the joints were all elevated. The covering had no seams on the top and the wire had drip loops. Granted there is water proofing materials that can be procured but makes breakdown more time consuming. I do not agree with leaving drop cords plugged together in the rain with power on them (I have done it though). The zip plugs on the lights give me even more concern. I had intended to show Denny some examples of how I used the product at the February Meeting to get his opinion whether or not it was a viable solution. There is enough talent on this site to come up with a solution without buying water resistant plugs or just leaving them in the rain.
    I agree with MelWelsh on the Saran Wrap though, but it is the cheaper product.
    Regards to you all,
    Grady
    Grady -

You misunderstood me, and I know why. One person's cheap crap is another's lowest cost vendor.

Your term drip shield is a good one; that's why I used "umbrella" as a description. Keep it dry if possible, let moisture run off of it if it isn't possible to keep it dry, and the GFCI as a safety backup if it gets wet anyway.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A plastic drip sheild is manufactured that snaps over the plug ends and has slits in the bottom to keep moisture from collecting inside. This satisfies my concerns. Walmarts sells them though I had never seen them before. Thanks for everyones input, it does make you stop and consider alternatives. Jack I didn't misunderstand, it was my lame attempt at humor.
    Regards,
    Grady