Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: GFI Outlet Boxes for Outside

As Al pointed out, if BOTH circuts are not turned off one may be in for a surprise. Most panels have the phases alternating on the same side. This is done so that a tandum breaker or double breaker is used. With this application, both circuts will 'trip' or be turned off (as the 2 breakers are connected via a pin).

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, we had verified that my box is has the phases alternating down the side. I will ask Dariusz about putting tandem breakers on each box's twin circuits...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I have the good fortune of having a modern low-pitched roof that I can walk around on easily. I can walk right up to the roof peak outlets while standing on a lower roof. The outlets in the peak will be sitting just about eye level. Very simple to walk up and reset them.
    Denny, the part of this that concerns me about resetting the GFCI is physical safety - the same issue that may cause the things to trip may also cause your roof to be icy. But then, I'm speaking off the top of my head, not having actually seen your house. The pictures I've seen don't have enough detail of that area, but I'd hate to have you fall off the roof because of ice.....or leave footprints in the snow on the roof. Not that snow is likely during our display season in this area, but it has happened.

You've got me thinking about doing this again; if I could eliminate the extension cord going to the roof, I think the cosmetics on my display would be better. And if I go wireless, even less wires going to the roof.....

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I plan to add a small subpanel to the roof behind the chimney.I have some much crap up there that I need one. I find that I am up on the roof everyday replacing lights anyway. I may just add the subpanel to the ground and add breaker style GFCIs for the circuits on the roof. GFCIs in general due tend to nuisance trip and resetting them from the ground would be better. I can remember going on the roof after dark and thinking I was going to trip over some of that crap up there and wind up like Wile E. Coyote with my head rammed down in the dirt and feet up in the air.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I checked with Dariusz today and I WILL be using ganged 20a breakers for my "Common Neutral" two-circuit wiring. Using 12-3-G wire is a great way to get two 20a circuits out of one run. And since I never assign more than an 80% peak load to each circuit, I don't anticipate any issues.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The nominal trip point of a circuit breaker is set to about 116% of max current or about 23.2 amps for 5 minutes to a maximum of 10000 seconds for a 20amp breaker--if my memory is correct. The MINIMUM trip level is greater than 100% and generally is 116% of rated current. What that means is that you can load a 20 amp breaker to 20 amps and never trip it. Generally, you should be able to load a 20 amp breaker to 23.2 amps for about 300 to 10000 seconds before it trips. If you are not using an inductive loads (motors, pumps, etc) then load the breaker up to 100% without problems. If you are loading the breaker from an AC controller with intermittent current usage then you will likely never trip a breaker on overcurrent with it loaded to 100% of its rating.

I worked with breakers off and on for several years. They are really predictable. Here is a trip curve for a 20 amp QO Load circuit breaker. The gray band is acceptable tolerancing by NEMA but generally is much tighter for those breakers. QOs and Homeline are the best in my opinion.
    http://static.schneider-electric.us/...kers/730-3.pdf

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's good info Al, never knew that.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Finally done. Dariusz and I finished my outside GFCI outlets today. They are wired and live in my main panel. Two new 20a on the left roof, Two new 20a on the right roof, and Two new 20a added to the front of the porch, behind one of my bushes. Yahoo !

Now to finish the darned Mighty Minis and get the last two songs from last year updated to this year's channel grid ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole