Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default What should I use for this?

I have purchased two solenoids for a project I am playing with. If you are not familiar with a solenoid it is just a valve that allowes air or liquid to pass through it when the current is on and closes the valve when the current is off....similar to a sprinkler system valve.

Anyway... the solenoid I have bought say the valves most commonly use a 12-volt DC wall transformer with a 200mA minimum output.

I am wanting to control this valve using LightShowPro.

I am thinking a Renard24 would be able to allow me to control these valves using LSP, but im not really sure and am still pretty new to this.

Would a Renard be my best option for this or is there a better way of doing this...?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: What should I use for this?

I'm only marginally familiar with the Renard line of controllers, although I'm waiting for a couple through a group buy. Are you using a DC controller or an AC controller?

If DC, I think it'd work, but make sure you have a damper diode at the solenoid to minimize the inductive kickback. The kickback would probably kill your driver mosfet / transistors.

IF AC, feeding a wall wart, you should be OK, just make sure none of your sequences tries to do any type of dimming - strictly on and off. You'd still probably want the damper diode, just to keep the solenoid from degrading the power supply with the inductive kickback.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I too am vaguely familiar with the Renard24. But I just looked at the schematics and yes you could drive this solenoid but I would not recommend it. As Jack mentioned, a "flyback" reverse EMF diode would be necessary and must be connected (reverse biased) at the coil and not the controller. I would use a solid state relay (SSR) and not take the risk of blowing up the transistor output of the Renard. BTW, you could substitute an LOR CMB-16D or a couple other DC controllers.

There are other controllers that would work, what devices do you presently own? What controllers do you presently own? Do you already have a communication network (i.e. DMX)?
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The Renard 24 is just another AC controller, which talks Renard protocol, rather than LOR or DMX. you would need to use a wall-wart to power the solenoid. As suggested, using any normal controller should work, but may require the flyback diode or something else to handle any reverse EMF when you turn it off quickly.

Using a DC controller, like the LOR CMB-16D or a DIY DC controller like RPM's DC16DCSSR one should work as well, and you could use an old PC power supply to provide the 12V DC power. Again, because a solenoid typically uses a coil to turn things on/off, you should have some EMF protection for the controller output section.

In any case, you'll need some type of USB-RS485 dongle to talk to the controller - whether you use Renard, LOR or anything else.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!