Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Vdrive constant current source DMX controller

These went fast and just about got burned by procastination. Went to four Lowes and they were all gone except one still had the shelf sample. Manager sold it to me for $2.50. Then went down to the other county and found anouther 5. I see them on e-bau for their original price of $12.95 still. I like this fixture since the lense frame is a true rectangle and will back it easier to still the barn doors I'll need.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK here we go... I will try to start making videos tonight after dark. If I get time this weekend I will show the "super secret squirrel" toys of VDRIVE! This will be something that the PWM DC controllers cannot do (well you can but its a PIA to program)! ( If you are a halloween display person you are going to LOVE this!)

But here it is!

VDRIVE!!

Here is a photo of the LEDS firing at 1 on the 0-255 dmx scale! You can't do that with a PWM DC Board!
    [/

wbottomley

Can't wait to see them in action!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got a little extra time today, so I started working on a few things...

Here is the first VFLOOD assembled on the production boards.

I also have been assembling 2 more beta VFLOODS to mount in different arrangements as demos since it is looking like I may be doing some traveling here and there to mini's. The good news is production boards should be arriving during the week of june 7.

Here is some photos for creating the assemebly manual. There is not really to many parts.

( I know I should be using a flux pen, but Frys was out at the time I needed flux awhile back..)

It took more time to set up for the photos than it did to solder on the SMT items...

I tried to make videos, but IMHO the little Sony just is not cutting it for this... so I am ordering a Panasonic 700 HD camcorder.. should be here in a few days...

I was able to make one decent one of how the strobe part works, I had to aim the camera at the flood and then place a filter over the flood so it did not over expose the camera...

I will upload it to youtube...
    More to come soon!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Time to add more info!

Another Photo of work in progress.

I "was" going to use a small aluminum bar as a heatsink attaching it with thermal epoxy.

These will work and look MUCHO better. These are Zalman VGA chip heatsinks.

I found some nice "sexy" polished ones! The first 125 VDRIVE kits will include 2 of these. (The are large enough to cover 2 pads each.) If your order "Solder my SMT" I will attach them for you too. These should arrive in the next few days!. I will take a photo of one on a board!

I have been mounting a VDRIVE in an enclosure with a power supply. You can fit 4 VDRIVES in this enclosure depending on your ower supply. 6 VDRIVES without a power supply.

I also created a separate BOM for the Mighty Mini owners. You will not need the second 5 position terminal block, and 4 resistors are different.

VDRIVE BOM for use with Mighty MIni ONLY

(if you want to use VDRIVE with your favorite LED project, please email me for further information)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

latest update!

I feel like a kid at christmas waiting to get to ride my first Bike. ( Metallic blue 20incher, with a bananna seat, high rise handlebars, and whitewalls) It was in the room with the tree and I could not touch it LOL

Ok back to the real stuff.

VDRIVE Boards arrived this morning! Everythng is now here but the heatsinks. I am crossing my fingers those will be here next week sometime.

Once they arrive shipping will commence Immediately!

I have placed the assmebly manual on the VDRIVE webpage under downloads. I will be adding a second manual for the SMT's items in a ASAP along with a VFLOOD.

I will also have a user manual posted for VDRIVE shortly.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok here are some, I mean ALOT of updates... I wil do in multiple posts!

VDRIVE and VFLOOD are now shipping!

I have completed a "all in one housing" project. This has the power supply, VDRIVE and VFLOOD all in one housing!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I finally got the new HD camcorder I have been looking at for months... This is after over a year of online shopping, and reading articles on low light HD camcorders.

This is video's of a single VDRIVE and VFLOOD in action. This is the "everything in one housing" unit shown above. I programmed in the strobe macro in a few spots and even did a slow color strobe transition towards the end.. I will create a short sequence and video demoing the strobe features shortly.

This was created using a Panasonic TM700 HD camcorder. The flood is 4 feet from the wall behind the center post.

Here is the street view. Still working with this new camera, and will have to work on finding editing software for it to utilize the AVCHD codec on my PC. I used my wifes windows 7 machine and WMM to put these together for now.

Last edited by twodoglights; 07-12-2010 at 01:56 AM.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What is the cost for the all in one unit, including power supply and all parts ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

VFLOOD 4.99
    C.LEDS 33.97
    VDRIVE 19.99
    Mouser BOM 14.16

housing 8.00 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Power supply 28.95 http://www.power-factor-1st.com/g3-s...ply/rs-25.html you want the RS RS25/12

Misc parts (approx $20)
    1 cat 5 cable,

male and Female DMX connnectors ( you will have to make your own cables like shown, it is very easy. They are actually plugged into the rj45 sockets inside the unit, so there was no mods to the board at all. I cut the cbale in half, then slide them through the rubber grommets before putting on the ends.)

2 packs PC board stand offs, ( I got the one I used at frys electronics) (i'll take a photo of them later for you.)

1 piece of plexi the size of the vflood board. (this is what I used to mount the power supply and the FLOOD board to the reflector that came in the work light housing.)

misc small fasteners.

wbottomley

It would be great to get one for the convention next month.

wbottomley

After contacting him, looks like we have one to play with and another one to give away.

Thank you!

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Great William. I will be neat to see the advantages of a constant current vs the Mighty Minis that a bunch of us are making. Here's my rough comparison of cost for four units. Of course this also means that the LOR users would need to buy an iDMX controller, but then there are a lot of advantages to mix DMX with your LOR. So I am not adding the iDMX to the cost comparison.

Approx $520 for four Vdrive units with controllers and supplies. I like have everything in one unit.

Four Mighy Mini Lights:

$ 90 LOR 16 Channel DC Card
    $180 Four Mighty mini boards and components
    $ 15 24V DC Supply
    $ 10 Case for DC supply and controller
    $ 20 Misc standoffs, stainless parts, jacks, etc
    $ 32 Four small flood cases
    - - -
    $347 ROUGH Total (for 4 units)

I hope I thought of everything with the MM costs. I also left off the optional waterproof RJ45 dongles since the Vdrive proposal does not use them either. Those were about $8 each in quantity group buys.

Then there are the super low cost Rainbow units, but they are RGB instead of RGBW, plus lower power LEDs. But including the boards, parts, power supply, controller case, flood cases and 16 DC channel controller - - Those look like they come in around $240 for 4.

If the Constant Current Vdrive lights can perform better, they may be worth the approximately $40 more (each) compared with the Mighty Mini. I like RGBW better than RGB, so the Rainbow is not a fair comparison..

I look forward to this segment of the Convention - - I hope we have time allocated for it !
    Last edited by kidcole; 07-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-dsc01647.jpghmm for some reason, the picture of the back of the AIOH is not staying.... so here it is in a thumbnail..

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Great William. I will be neat to see the advantages of a constant current vs the Mighty Minis that a bunch of us are making. Here's my rough comparison of cost for four units. Of course this also means that the LOR users would need to buy an iDMX controller, but then there are a lot of advantages to mix DMX with your LOR. So I am not adding the iDMX to the cost comparison.

Approx $520 for four Vdrive units with controllers and supplies. I like have everything in one unit.

Four Mighy Mini Lights:

$ 90 LOR 16 Channel DC Card
    $180 Four Mighty mini boards and components
    $ 15 24V DC Supply
    $ 10 Case for DC supply and controller
    $ 20 Misc standoffs, stainless parts, jacks, etc
    $ 32 Four small flood cases
    - - -
    $347 ROUGH Total (for 4 units)

I hope I thought of everything with the MM costs. I also left off the optional waterproof RJ45 dongles since the Vdrive proposal does not use them either. Those were about $8 each in quantity group buys.

Then there are the super low cost Rainbow units, but they are RGB instead of RGBW, plus lower power LEDs. But including the boards, parts, power supply, controller case, flood cases and 16 DC channel controller - - Those look like they come in around $240 for 4.

If the Constant Current Vdrive lights can perform better, they may be worth the approximately $40 more (each) compared with the Mighty Mini. I like RGBW better than RGB, so the Rainbow is not a fair comparison..

I look forward to this segment of the Convention - - I hope we have time allocated for it !
    Let me add an alternative mounting method here..and shave a few more $$$ for those thifty DIYers. Since cable lengths are a irrelavent point with VDRIVE/VFLOOD, you can mount several VDRIVE boards in an enclosure and run cables out to the VFLOODS..

Here is the Demo unit I created to ship to mini's. Depending on your power supply, you can easily place 4 VDRIVE boards in the enclosure and 6 without a power supply in the enclosure. In this setup use a 6 to 8 amp power supply of your choice....

[/

VFLOOD 4.99
    C.LEDS 33.97
    VDRIVE 19.99
    Mouser BOM 14.16
    Housing 11.00 http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...-11ctegys.html
    5 conductor sprinler wire 100ft 22.00 http://www.lowes.com/pd_37098-295-49...&Ntt=sprinkler wire&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=sprinkler wire$y=12$x=48
    $8 per light enclosure
    approx $30 for a power supply...
    $20 for misc parts