Thread: Controller Light Stand

wbottomley

Default Controller Light Stand

Daryl Brown has made and currently selling these controller stands.

Looks to be a great idea!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Controller Light Stand

Makes it easy to run off with the controller. John would you please buy some of the holders? Put your CCRs on it too.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That was my first thought too. I am soooooo paranoid about people stealing my controllers. My outside ones are bolted and buried under the megatree, including black plastic over them. This year I am agonizing over how to get more of them out near the lights .. but I can't bring myself to leave them in the open. I was even thinking of putting a locked vault in the ground with pipes to the surface that could be removed each year. Some PVC pipe with an upside down trap would let the wires out without water and snow getting in. Off season I would take out the controllers and seal up the vault. Oh what the heck, I might as well just make an underground control room in the front yard.

Seriously, I am looking for ideas on how to secure them close to the light displays without offering them up for theft. I am not sure this is possible in my front yard without significant investment ... Ideas welcome !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, Don't fret so much about people stealing your controllers.

I've only heard of one person that "lost" one, and he admitted that he lived in the 'hood.

Vandeliziam of display elements is sooooo much more likely then somebody digging around in a display trying to find the "magic box". Most of my display elements are worth more then a few controllers that only cost $100 or so each.

Those controller stands would make it very easy to find the contollers, unplug the wires, pull the bracket thing out of the ground and walk off with them.

Al, I left town for 4 days, just returned this morning. Both CCRs were setting on the front porch, waiting for you to come by.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    To be honest, I haven't had any problems with controller boxes walking away. And I've had at least 15 boxes sitting out near the lights for the last couple of years.

Most of mine are mounted on a home-built frame of 1x2 with a cross bar that the controller is mounted to. They could be pulled out fairly easy, but haven't been. For the 3 controllers out by the arches, which for the last 2 years have been right out near the road, they are mounted on short (2') steel fence posts that are pounded in the ground. Not easy to remove. But I also have 4-6 controller boxes just lying on the ground, mostly behind bushes near the house. They're not highly visible, but if someone wanted to go near the house and pick them up (after unplugging 16 cords, of course), they could.

Most folks don't realize the value of the controller boxes, unless they are as crazy as us, and so don't think to steal them...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, you could get a website and tell everybody what electronics you have in the yard and where it is located. You could then make a link to LOR and point out the value of the electronics. Next you could tell them you have a computer that controls it. Be proud of the work the thieves will take. My website says my stuff is controlled by elves. I could care less about advertising for LOR.