Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Tiger DMX DC controller

Now this is a good idea. This dc controller is being developed in Australia and is designed for RGB applications. The controller can handle up to 3 amps per channel to a maximum of 30A per 24 channels (48 or 120 channels total). This could be an excellent driver for the Mighty Minis and other RGB (red, green, blue) LED applications. It is DMX controlled. I keep harping on DMX for a good reason.

It will cost around $110 USD (may drop to$75) and 48 channels. There is another version that controls up to 120. Sounds like most of the electronics will be installed as surface mount components are being used. "This will leave the Christmas light fanatic to solder the input and output connectors and load firmware. Bare boards will be available for the brave and/or experienced. "

The only thing that could make this better is for it to be a constant current source. I doubt we would get a constant current source controller for that price.
    http://www.auschristmaslighting.com/...gerdmx48hc.php

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Tiger DMX DC controller

I'm looking forward to seeing these get out of development and into production. I'd be willing to let someone else with SMD experience do that part of the board; I don't think my eyesight could handle that without making solder bridges.

The Tiger DMX120LC immediately brought the shooting stars to mind, with 120 RGB LED pixels on each star. Also, leaping arches........

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I liked his board layout too. He has prototyped the boards a few times to get it right without offering it to the world I might pay extra for a constant current source (per channel) if available. Maybe I will design one. I could make a healthy profit doing it. I might call it Al-O-Rama.

A constant current source would make the LED's intensity the same regardless of the interconnect wiring distance. Also, it would prohibit overcurrenting the LEDs which is a big no-no. The extra hardware and design problems are why we don't have one now.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

[
    A constant current source would make the LED's intensity the same regardless of the interconnect wiring distance. Also, it would prohibit overcurrenting the LEDs which is a big no-no. The extra hardware and design problems are why we don't have one now.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the Broad Band store doesn't have an enclosure to house it in

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post

Maybe I will design one. I could make a healthy profit doing it. I might call it Al-O-Rama.
    Except I have already trademarked the name - Al-O-Rama I might consider issuing you a license to use the name for a percentage of the "healthy profits"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -al0rama..gif   -al0rama2..jpg   -al0rama1..jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hello to everyone
    Found this thread the other day and thought i would join and give an update seeing as the TigerDMX range is mine.

The 120 ch controller is alive and going though testing and firmware tweaking at the moment. The video shows it driving a string of RGB LEDs using 24channels. Right at the start of the video you see two boards the one on top is last years 48ch board and on the bottom is the 120ch board.
    The 120ch is optimized for RGB and is limited to 100mA per channel

The new 48ch board was built today and is about to start testing when the firmware is completed, it is 3A/ch or 30AMax per 24ch.

As for constant current designs, for boards that need to deal with widely different current needs of different LED strings then it is effectively not possible. I have a number of things in the pipeline that will use constant current drivers and design but for general use it's easier and cheaper just to use some resistors.

Cheers
    Aussiephil