Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: How to build Walter's Bethlehem Star

al sence the work shop will be after the tasl meet if yall need some i ve got the 1 inch tubing i can bring some of it and drop it off with who ever when i come up it will be in short peices tho 3 foot or so anhy takers its free
    are you sure we checked every bulb?why is that one pixel staying on
    ]www.thelightsonpurserroad.com20200 rgb channels for2018

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yepper. That would be very nice of you. We can make something out of it as lots of stuff isn't designed yet. The April welding workshop is only one of the welding events for this year. The rest are not published on CC.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

well i guess my secret decoder ring has quit working how much do you wish to store il be glad to transport what i can its the square tubing i showed you

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, I might be coming your way before then. I'll PM you about it.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you have some square tubing that's 3 ft long, I need to build/construct some posts for my arch fans and these sound like just the ticket.

Also, I need a free-standing stand base for my Walter star. I don't plan to put it on the roof, just have it on the ground - probably above a nativity scene...

So if there's some "extra" or if I need to pay someone to buy some, please let me know...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A few pics of the original Star.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -walterstar-1.jpg   -walterstar-2.jpg   -walterstar-3.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    If you have some square tubing that's 3 ft long, I need to build/construct some posts for my arch fans and these sound like just the ticket.

Also, I need a free-standing stand base for my Walter star. I don't plan to put it on the roof, just have it on the ground - probably above a nativity scene...

So if there's some "extra" or if I need to pay someone to buy some, please let me know...
    mark i have more than enuff i will brig it to the tasl meet the 21

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mike dont give Mark any of that steel. He will want us to weld it for him too. Geez.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Has anyone attempted to make a smaller version of this star? I'm interested in making one for my Nativity, however that is entirely too large. I'm thinking half size with mini's? The only issue then would be to size it properly so that strands of 50's would fit nicely.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Some folks have resized them. You could too just by cutting the 1/4" steel rod to fractional lengths.
    Al

Ssgt. Blinky, to you! cpnbnanamn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Yepper. If you buy the steel at Dillons in Raleigh, it comes in 20' pieces I believe. To transport it in 20' pieces is tough. I have a boat trailer that I use for it. Dillon will cut the steel for you to more manageable lengths if you want. The trick is to have the lengths cut into sections that minimize the waste. You could take a pair of bolt cutters to Dillon and drag the steel outside into their huge parking lot, and cut the steel rod there with the bolt cutters. To cut the angle steel you would need a Sawzall to cut it to the proper lengths which is pretty easy considering there isn't that many cuts. A battery powered sawzall would really do the trick here.

Your estimate above does not reflect the steel for the diagonal uprights. Look at the instruction sheet and find out if you have a gable or reverse gable. The diagonal braces are a little different for each. The length of those braces depend on the pitch of your roof. For the gable version at my house (reverse gable), Walter and I welded a short piece of angle steel to the rear of the roof support to connect one end of the diagonal braces. The other end was connected to the uprights. On Walter's star which was for a gable the diagonal braces went directly to the roof support (saddle) with out the short pieces of steel. You will certainly have to study the pictures in the instruction sheet to understand which is which. Regardless of which gable version you have, the length of the diagonal braces should only be cut after you place the saddle (completed roof bracing) and then the uprights (star and perpendicular stuff) onto the roof and have someone hold the star plumb then cut those braces otherwise you will need some complex mathematical modeling to figure the lengths. Just determine which gable you have (gable or opposing gable) then measure the roof pitch and Walter and I can figure it out the rest for you. If your brace is like mine (photographed on the roof) instead of Walters (photographed on the asphalt) we will need to know the roof pitch. To measure the roof pitch, take a board of know length (say 2' long), a ruler, and a spirit level onto the roof. Place the board flat onto the roof with the spirit level on top, raise one end of the board (other is touching the roof), then measure from the bottom of the board to the roof holding the tape measure straight up and down (plumb). With a 24" board the distance to the roof should be 6",8", 12", or maybe 24" (you will be trying to fall off that steep roof with that pitch). That distance will tell me the pitch of your roof and we can pretty well determine part of the bracing. If this sound too confusing call me. I will walk you through it.
    Al
    Ok, I read over this twice to make sure I had it down.. and I do.. but I have thought about the design. Is it possible to make the saddle adjustable to accommodate different pitches?? Reason I ask is that I don't own the house I'm in. Pitch on the next house is likely going to be different. Maybe that was already built into the design.
    My roof is gable... I've been trying to think about the best way to transport the materials needed. Might have to borrow a trailer or something. Either that, or supply them with the materials list and see if they can cut them to length for me (for a fee, I'm sure.)
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
    Ok, I read over this twice to make sure I had it down.. and I do.. but I have thought about the design. Is it possible to make the saddle adjustable to accommodate different pitches?? Reason I ask is that I don't own the house I'm in. Pitch on the next house is likely going to be different. Maybe that was already built into the design.
    My roof is gable... I've been trying to think about the best way to transport the materials needed. Might have to borrow a trailer or something. Either that, or supply them with the materials list and see if they can cut them to length for me (for a fee, I'm sure.)
    The pitch is adjustable. You add a little more steel or take a little away. To add steel you drill holes into the diagonal braces and scab on another piece. To shorten it just cut it off with a hacksaw. The pitch on the next house will likely be the same or 4" in 12". I have been on a lot of roofs with that pitch. You can make the diagonals adjustable by simply cutting the diagonals long and only using what you need.

If you next place has an opposing gable, then you bring it back to us and we add a little steel and take off a little steel and make it work. It is as simple as that.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok,
    I've finally gotten my star MOSTLY built.. A LOT of thanks to Jack, Al, and Walter... I'm trying to plan for lights. Thinking of going the way of C-9 warm-LED's, but I'm curious about where you guys got those clips, and also how you did the string routing, how many lights (and strings) you ended up using, etc. I like the idea of having the separate parts of the star light up... so I would like to see how you guys have done it.
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
    Ok,
    I've finally gotten my star MOSTLY built.. A LOT of thanks to Jack, Al, and Walter... I'm trying to plan for lights. Thinking of going the way of C-9 warm-LED's, but I'm curious about where you guys got those clips, and also how you did the string routing, how many lights (and strings) you ended up using, etc. I like the idea of having the separate parts of the star light up... so I would like to see how you guys have done it.

Here
    is the place to buy the clips.

Most of us used c9 incandescents and we cut the strings to to match the number of lights each segment needed. You can't do that with LEDs unless you either use the exact same number of lights in each string or you add a resistor to drop the voltage of the missing LED lights. For example, on my star one segment need 22 light so I cut the 25 string incandescents and put on SPT-1 plugs. I left off 3 bulbs. If you cut the 25 LED string to 22 bulbs, you will have to add a resistor for the missing 3 lights. You can leave the 3 bulbs and put heat shrink over them if you want. You can cut the LED strings and add SPT-1 wire and connectors to make the strings "jump" to a new segment of the star. If that doesn't make sense now it sure will when you put the lights on the steel.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

How many C-9's did you end up using?
    -Roger