Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mighty Mini LED RGB Flood

Glad I could clairify. lol

Now all the solid colored wires will represent the color they control. Will be much eaiser, IMO, then trying to see the trace color.

On the LOR card, each "half" is totally separate from the other half, so the positive from one half of the board, is NOT connected to the positive on the other half, allowing each 8 channel bank to control different voltages.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John, I appreciate the post for the good prices on the RJ45-ECs. Unfortunately I searched the internet last Saturday and could not find anyone lower than them .. so I bought 4. You guys have all these secret companies !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Let's clarify something. There are 8 connections on the Mighty Mini PCB. Each color has it's own pair of connectors. It's important to remember the current that you're asking to flow thru the Cat-5 cable. Each color on the PCB takes about 100mA. If you use a single connection (i.e. only one white wire), you're getting close to the full capacity of that one white wire.

So, if you choose to, you can connect all the white wires together at the controller end, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at the flood light end. So you need all the connectors/wires in a normal Cat-5/RJ45 to connect to each flood.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

hee hee Yes we do Denny. They are "secret" sources, that we reveal only to select people.

Couple of years ago, over on SCL, a guy posted a link to a company having a sale. And it was a GREAT sale. For example, the same M6 LEDs that Paul at CDI sells, were only $4.15 per string, or $99 for a case of 24 DELIVERED! Any color! I bought 192 strings! Then a week later, went back for some more and they were all gone! They were also selling 1000 ft spools of SPT wire for something like $59.00 delivered! I bought 4,000 feet and I think William did about the same. By the time the poor guy that made the original post got his paycheck and was ready to order, everything was sold out!

AT the last convention, during our presentations, William and I shared this story with the group. Moral, be selfish, get your stuff first, then share! Horrible philosophy to have isn't it!

I did have the Sparco source listed on my website, in my HOW-TO on building the Mighty Mini's on the Resources page, where I list everything I purchased.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Let's clarify something. There are 8 connections on the Mighty Mini PCB. Each color has it's own pair of connectors. It's important to remember the current that you're asking to flow thru the Cat-5 cable. Each color on the PCB takes about 100mA. If you use a single connection (i.e. only one white wire), you're getting close to the full capacity of that one white wire.

So, if you choose to, you can connect all the white wires together at the controller end, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at the flood light end. So you need all the connectors/wires in a normal Cat-5/RJ45 to connect to each flood.
    Mark, you are the one that actually has the pcb in your possession, so I defer to you. My comment was from looking at the pcb that Frank has posted on his website. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm only seeing 5 connection points.

I totally agree on the current flowing through the cat5. I am using all 8 wires, all the way through the whole path. But from the way I interpreted the pcb silk screening, it appeared to me that all the commons would have to be wired together at the flood head, since I only saw a single connection for each of the 4 colors, and only one point marked C for common. What am I'm missing? Or maybe the board design has changed?

I noticed that the pic I posted is board ver 1.1 Wonder what Frank will be shipping to us?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mighty_mini_floo-100.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh, here is the schematic that Frank posted on his site. Still showing only 5 connections. If you get a chance Mark, can you look at the boards you received last year, I'm courious about their version level number. I wondered how I was going to attach the terminal strips in my package from CeCe to a board with only 5 holes.

Once again Mark, thank you for your correction and clairification to the post I made. I hope the boards that are actually shipped do have 8 holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mighty_mini_floo-100.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK John. Now you are in trouble. The group knows you have given out the secrets. Your secret decoder ring just stopped working. William ban his butt. Tennessee traitor.

Mark, I must have missed something which is highly likely. I know that tying leads together at sources and loads is bad news for high frequency stuff, but the total resistance should be the same regardless. Again, I must have missed something. I don't work in this industry anymore.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    OK John. Now you are in trouble. The group knows you have given out the secrets. Your secret decoder ring just stopped working. William ban his butt. Tennessee traitor.

Mark, I must have missed something which is highly likely. I know that tying leads together at sources and loads is bad news for high frequency stuff, but the total resistance should be the same regardless. Again, I must have missed something. I don't work in this industry anymore.
    Hey, I just followed the "rules". Get your own stuff first, then share the links so anyone else can get whatever the supplier has left.

Al, The only place I was planning to tie any leads together was at the flood head, if there were only 5 connection points. If there are 8 connection points, then nothing would be tied together, except what the controller card did internally with the two separate banks on the common positive.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John on Frank's site "Building the Mighty Mini Flood Light" the pictures show 8 connection points.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by TGabriel View Post
    John on Frank's site "Building the Mighty Mini Flood Light" the pictures show 8 connection points.

Thomas
    Well DANG! Where did I steal this image of a PCB with Mighty Mini silk screened on it ? I hope they do have 8 connection points, as that would simpliy construction and wiring!

I will stand totally corrected and will go sit in the corner for the rest of the evening, as penance. (I'm taking my laptop with me though!)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John I also have that same image with 5 connection points. So you are not the only one.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John I also have that same image with 5 connection points. So you are not the only one.

Thomas
    Well Thomas, where did you steal your image from ? I'm glad to know that I didn't photoshop the image in my sleep one night, I was beginning to wonder.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It all on the first post of this thread started by some guy name John. One site show 5 connection and another site show the 8 connection board.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It all on the first post of this thread started by some guy name John. One site show 5 connection and another site show the 8 connection board.

Thomas
    OK, that's the problem then. That guy John must be a trouble maker and posted a "photoshopped" image to confuse everyone.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The way my luck is going I will probably get the boards with 6 connection on them. That way the boards can go with my reverse red LEDs.

Thomas