Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mighty Mini LED RGB Flood

Hey that looks like mine. Nice job. Did Walter help?

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yup, it's wired to the TASL standard so we can steal each other's components and still work !

Sadly, I don't have a Walter. I could probably use a Walter. Heck, my wife could use a Walter - - - as long I was designating the tasks ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There has been the on=going discussion of the correct resistor values for the MMFL with the alternate solution of using a constant current driver for the LEDís. The one CC driver that is receiving the most publicity is the V-Drive which costs $40. Plus shipping.
    I came across this thread over in DIYC where they are mounting current limiting circuits mounted to the back side of the MMFL PCB. It appears that the components would cost no more $5-6 per board.
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ad.php?t=12418
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ead.php?t=7799

Can anyone comment on this technique??
    Is it equal to a separate board like the V-Drive??
    Are these LM-317 TO-220 Regulators safe or better than using just the current limiting resistors??

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. My 3 years of electronics lab in high school is a vague memory at this point.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave, there's a bug with your first link but I was able to find it by using the second link and pasting the last 5 digits of the first one to get the correct post. This one should work ..

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ad.php?t=12418

I really like this ! I hope Al and Mark ring in on it !

Here's a PDF file that one of the guys on DIYC had posted for the MM constant current upgrade ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mighty-mini-current-limiting-conversion.pdf  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It will work ok. The lack of an input cap worries me some. The input cap aides in keeping the regulator from oscillating due to noise and our displays are full of noise. In my opinion, the wiring that feeds the MMs if inadvertently placed near an AC PWM (output of LOR controller) line, it will couple noise and then oscillate. It might not too. I would prefer seeing the LM317 placed near the voltage source (DC controller) as in the Vdrive. This mod might work just fine but may do something weird occasionally like flash for no odd reason due to noise. If I had my druthers, I would buy the Vdrive or that other constant current source controller that the name eludes me right now. I own the MMs and will not modify them since I have 16 of them.

As anyone that knows me has heard me say, I have a saying that sums it up. "Be thankful with what you have." Driving the MMs with voltage is not ideal but will work just fine.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I plan to run my MMs this year with resistors. I'm also planning to turn down my 24V PS to about 23-23.5 V, since that's what I had when I was testing my resistor values. I'm considering changing them to using the LM317 or something else CC next year, depending on how this year goes. There's also a mod on DIYC that "converts" to running them on 12V. I'm looking to standardize on fewer DC voltages so I can have fewer power supplies out in the yard. My LED strip stars that I showed at the convention run on 12V, so that might be the way to go.

I only have 6 or so MMs, so it's not as big an investment as the 16 that Al has.

I may consider going the VDRIVE/VFlood route or something similar if I need more floods. However, the RGB pixel stuff is probably where I'll invest first - I've got a few bare boards and some TP3212's on order to be ready.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!