Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Giant Show Selector Button

While reading the Motion Detector topic in the Carolina's section, it got me thinking about a physical show trigger. Seems like it would be easy to make a Giant button on a spring loaded momentary contact switch. Some wood pieces that slip on multiple bolts, with large springs on the bolts, and the lower portion mounted on a pedestal of some sort. That should let you make the "button" to any shape you want.

The switch obviously wired back to something that would trigger your software (hmmmm, that's where I could use some ideas for triggers that would interface to the show software. Then you could have two shows, one with some background Christmas music going and mostly static lights - - some motion but not necessarily synchronized. Then the second the synchronized lights show.

When somebody pushes the button it triggers the synchronized show .. maybe sets off a cool display of light explosions before the music kicks in .. And of course the safety loop to make sure you don't look at the button signal again until after the show completes.

Hmm .. Something like this might fit nicely into my setup for next year, since I am sitting on a corner lot. I will see how many people get out of their cars for the show... But the button would be a nice challenge anyhow .. and of course weatherproofed somehow. I am using LOR software this year but I plan to shift to LightShowPro next year.

I am sitting here looking at my son's "EASY" button .... Naw ....
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Default Re: Giant Show Selector Button

Denny... I made an easy button work with show triggers two years ago. I had a five year-old push the button and the show began.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    While reading the Motion Detector topic in the Carolina's section, it got me thinking about a physical show trigger. Seems like it would be easy to make a Giant button on a spring loaded momentary contact switch.

The switch obviously wired back to something that would trigger your software (hmmmm, that's where I could use some ideas for triggers that would interface to the show software. Then you could have two shows, one with some background Christmas music going and mostly static lights - - some motion but not necessarily synchronized. Then the second the synchronized lights show.

When somebody pushes the button it triggers the synchronized show .. maybe sets off a cool display of light explosions before the music kicks in .. And of course the safety loop to make sure you don't look at the button signal again until after the show completes.

LOR Controllers provide for Trigger inputs by buttons (or motion sensors) and the software supports this already, different buttons equal different shows. Upto six different shows.(from memory)

William and I demonstrated this at the mini in Charlotte in June.

A year or so ago, there was a surplus house selling the GIANT button switches used on commercial video games, I think William posted on SCL that he bought all of them. lol

While LOR software supports this capability, I don't know if LightShowPro does.

EDIT: I see that William posted while I was typing, but as usual he left out a lot of detail of his good stuff. Including how he can select multiple shows from his handheld wireless device!
    Last edited by John; 11-16-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

An x-10 wireless remote with the momentary switch modules will do that. Wire the contacts to the inputs (6 max or six songs ) on your LOR card.

I believe they use the modules to incorporate your garage door opener into the x-10 home system.

It's so easy a cave man can do it.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The ServoDog has inputs built in to trigger multiple events. Very simple to program and setup.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was not aware that my LOR cards had inputs other than RS485. I have the model CTB16PC controllers ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    Yes they do you need to get one of these: http://store.lightorama.com/ctinco3in.html
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

The PC card series have I believe 3 inputs per card (from memory )

The are accessed from the 18 pin header. LOR sells an adapter that plugs into this header for easy connections.

Almost all LOR controllers provide for trigger inputs, 1600 series, PC card series, servodog as Al mentioned, the DIO32, and even the Cosmic Color Ribbon has two trigger inputs. The Mini-Director provides for three trigger inputs and the Showtime MP3 Director has 6 input triggers.

Edit: I see Vic posted the link while I was typing
    Last edited by John; 11-16-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

wbottomley

The controllers alone do have inputs.

The PC series only have two because input one is not used just yet.
    The Deluxe series has three inputs except the old green boards. Those boards only have 16 pins which is NOT usable for the header connector.

I know of some ramblings of making the deluxe series have eight inputs but nothing etch in stone.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Excellent info guys. I will buy one right away so I can play with it for next year !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole