Thread: Alternative to Blackout Caps for Mini Lights ?

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Alternative to Blackout Caps for Mini Lights ?

it seems like there should be a cheap alternative to the fancy blackout caps for mini lights. Has anyone tried heatshrink tubing or just plain ole tape ? Or other solutions. Ideas appreciated !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Alternative to Blackout Caps for Mini Lights ?

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    it seems like there should be a cheap alternative to the fancy blackout caps for mini lights. Has anyone tried heatshrink tubing or just plain ole tape ? Or other solutions. Ideas appreciated !
    Back when I used mini's when making wireframes, I spray painted the extra bulb or two with black paint

Heatshrink will also work, have used it with a few M6 LEDs on frames I've built this year.

Plain ole tape may come loose from the weather effects, but I have never tried it.

EDIT: Just had a thought (dangerous I know). Heat shrink on a glass bulb mini, would the 50% shrinkage cause the glass to shatter? No problem on the hard plastic lens of an M6 LED. Never tried it on a glass bulb though.

I do keep a rather large assortment of color caps on hand for slipping over the M6 clear lens to add color detail to wireframes, have them in at least 6 colors, but I've never bought any in Black.
    Last edited by John; 10-28-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, I was at the dollar store at Pleasant Valley Promenade (hunting for stuff to give the kids for Halloween) and they had a bunch of black out caps. 4 packs of 20 each for $1.
    Likes kb7pat liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow, so much for cheap alternatives. I have never seen them for sale until I started looking at the Christmas sites. I appreciate the reference Al ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, I was really surprised to see them. In a dollar store no doubt. I would have bought them up but I knew the TASL folks would want them.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They had them at dollar tree here last year but I have not saw any this year.
    Jen...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Al ! I stopp by and got my 80 Blackout caps for my $1. And I had a choice of green or black to match my wires <green, of course> ...

I have my hardware map finally input to the software. I should start playing around with my light routines within the next couple weeks ! I'll have all my new GFI circuits wired and operational by next week sometime .. Moving along. Now if I coul just get my computer to type itself !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For you Triangle area folks, a black out cap is a plastic cover you put over a mini light to "black it out". This is useful when you are making wireframes and have more lights on a side than you need or you need to transition to a new place with the same string of lights. The caps are also useful when you are making a megatree and your light string is a little too long and you want the extra lights to not be visible. These caps are dirt cheap at the dollar store. You can buy them online but the shipping, hassle, and wait are more hassle than driving and getting these.