Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default CG enclosure waterproof gasket?

There is a channel/track to install a waterproofing gasket.

Has anyone installed gaskets, and if so, what size and where did you purchase it.

Thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: CG enclosure waterproof gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    There is a channel/track to install a waterproofing gasket.

Has anyone installed gaskets, and if so, what size and where did you purchase it.

Thanks!

Frank
    I have always wondered about this. This would be a great one to figure out. It looks to me like the right round stock would work. It might take some experimentation. I am tied up with building my garage today, but we should keep this topic going to see what we can find.

Once we find the right diameter, there are definitely places like Granger and others that sell rolls of solid round rubber. W also need to be concerned about the heat properties, so we don't pick something that melts at a low temp. That would get ugly !

On the flip side of this discussion, we should explore the need for the gaskets: Supposedly if the CG cases are mounted with the back standing vertical (upright), then water can run down them but is supposed to be directed away. It also appears that the cases could be mounted with the bottom flat (parallel to the ground). Water would roll off the top, but in this position any sideways water could get into the area where the cables come out.

Do you have a situation where you need to seal it up better ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

Thanks for the feedback.

I just want to be "safe" and not sorry, and not cover my enclosures with trash bags.

There is a gasket channel there and it should be easy enough to find the right size material
    to fill it, where it is hose or silicon.

Thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    Denny,

Thanks for the feedback.

I just want to be "safe" and not sorry, and not cover my enclosures with trash bags.

There is a gasket channel there and it should be easy enough to find the right size material
    to fill it, where it is hose or silicon.

Thanks!

Frank
    I tried searching for CableGuard Enclosure Gaskets. Unfortunately I did not find anything. Since the cable companies first used these for their electronic gear, I am not aware of any allegations of moisture encroachment. I've used them for 7 years with no problems. A couple of mine just sat outside for 3 months because our move left me with no place to put things until the garage attic was ready. I found no moisture in them. I have always mounted mine vertical, which is the way they were designed to be mounted. Any other mounting direction might result in moisture.

As for the black plastic bags, I like those too. Although I don't use them for everything, the biggest benefit is helping to make the cases invisible. Black plastic bags also help to keep your enclosure boxes looking nice, in case you ever want to sell them.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post