Thread: CG enclosure - controller mounting options?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default CG enclosure - controller mounting options?

What type of mounting plates are being used inside Cable Guard enclosures?

Plexiglass seems expensive compared to plywood.

Other options / thoughts?

Precut plates from people like Holiday Coro seem pricey too (as much as enclosure).

I would appreciate your thoughts/feedback on your approach and to recommend any ready made
    templates with hole patterns laid out.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: CG enclosure - controller mounting options?

The cheapest option I have seen people do is coroplast. I have not mounted anything yet.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: CG enclosure - controller mounting options?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    What type of mounting plates are being used inside Cable Guard enclosures?

Plexiglass seems expensive compared to plywood.

Other options / thoughts?

Precut plates from people like Holiday Coro seem pricey too (as much as enclosure).

I would appreciate your thoughts/feedback on your approach and to recommend any ready made
    templates with hole patterns laid out.

Thanks in advance!

Frank
    Plywood will burn and is not safe. Coro works but cannot take any shock or the screws will pull out. Use fender washers if you use Coro. You can ask family members if they have any old cutting THIN boards. You can sometimes find the thin cutting boards at flea markets and yard sales. Generally any kind of used acrylic sheet will work if it's at least 1/8" thick. I prefer closer to 1/4" if possible. There are many kinds of plexiglass, some brittle and some more flexible. People use the term plexiglass for many different materials today. There is actual Plexiglass in retail stores but the term is like Crescent Wrench (the crescent company made the most popular adjustable wrench.

When you find some, treat them all as if they are brittle (drill pilot holes and use washers), you'll get good results even if you don't know what kind you have. Or take a small piece and see if it bends or breaks in a vise. Cutting board types are obviously not brittle. Fiberglass sheets are awesome at 1/8" or thicker. The polycarbonate sheets are incredibly strong.

I found some old printer stands at a yard sale that were made of a smoky polycarbonate. It is about 1/4" thick and there was a top and bottom for the printer with the old fan-fold paper sitting below. I believe I paid $1 each for several of them. I've been cutting them up on a table saw. There are lots of videos on You Tube showing how to cut this stuff, and finish the edges with a torch. Even places like the goodwill might have things cheap with polycarb or thick plexi. Keep a sharp eye out. i have also heard of people finding thick sheets of various plastic materials on Craigs List.

Happy hunting !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post