Thread: Pure white or warm white for snowflakes?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Pure white or warm white for snowflakes?

I am taking a poll of which lights to use for snowflakes. I am going to make some snowflakes and can't decide between pure white and warm white LED bulbs. I like the warm white look for wrapping trees and most things because they look more traditional and not blindingly bright white, but I can see how the "whiter" look of the pure white might look better. These snowflakes are likely to be among other lights that are all warm white. The snowflakes are going to be custom built using either coroplast or HDPE sheeting with the lights attached at the surface or mounted in holes with only the bulbs sticking out the front. I expect some reflection off the material.

What would you choose?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Pure white or warm white for snowflakes?

I am just now embracing LEDs after 5 years of mostly incandescent. My personal opinion is the warm white embrace what old school Christmas looks like. it's warm and comfortable, and a ton prettier with nice slow dimming. Cool white (bright white, pure what) remind me of Las Vegas. It's in your face, and feels more like advertising.

Unfortunately with pixels, we are stuck with the Bright white look if we turn on R, G, and B to equal percentages. But with some effort, you can even make pixels look warm white.

I try to use warm white as much as possible. I also make sure that I eliminate all LED flickering, since about 1 out of three people see it all the time (without turning their heads). I only see by moving my head but my son will pick out flickering in an instant. He'll point it out when we just drive past a display. And he says it's really annoying. We all need to remember that this is how 1/3rd of our viewers are seeing our displays (when we don't use full wave rectified lights).

Another topic that is also very hard to deal with, is all the different colors of warm white. Frankly I never ever considered that there are many colors of both warm and cool white (pure white), until I started doing this. When I was working with ChristmasLEDs.com a couple years ago, the gal on the phone would tell me when my warm white LEDs would match or not match. It all ties back to the frequency of the light. You can routinely find 2400k, 2500k and 2700k .. with the lower number looking more amber. Around 3200k up to 3800k they will be called soft white. Then in the 4500k to over 5000k range, they are the bright white, cool white, pure white. Lots of names for roughly the same type of bulbs. The numbers I just posed are not particularly accurate but there are plenty of website that discuss this in much more detail. Generally down in the mid 2000k you have warm white and over 5000k you have the bright white. If you go to LOWES and look at the LED packages, they give you the "k" range for that bulb.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's a dilemma that's for sure, pure white and cool white look completely different, I kinda took a themes approach, we use warm white on all trees greenery trim and wreaths while using cool white on most other things that are meant to represent snow type items. Imo I think the cool white looks more like snow which a snowflake is supposed to represent, but all down to preference!!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think you have a good approach already. Consistency of style is key to any theme. And within it, there is a balance factor. Picture (or view live) everything turned on. Then decide if you have the right balance. Sometimes just moving a few things around can make a huge difference. Bright white also stands out more, so you might need more warm white effects around to offset .. but maybe not. As you are installing, start testing and looking at your display at night. You'll know when it's right (or wrong) for what you are trying to achieve.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control