Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Peanuts!

We talked last season about adding a few "Peanuts" characters to our show this year.
    I truthfully couldn't find any templates to make these ourselves. So with a little creativity, and an overhead projector I snagged off of craigslist we were able to make ours.
    Playing around on youtube, I found the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving show, and paused it when we seen a pose that we liked.
    With a smart phone, took a picture of the pose, then emailed it to myself. Then printed that picture, and traced it out onto clear transfer film for the overhead projector, then project that image on our plywood sheet.
    We moved the projector back until our image's were about 30" tall then traced onto the plywood.
    A little time with a jig saw and some paint and we have our Peanuts!-20151121_110402.jpg-20151121_110646.jpg-20151121_131255.jpg-20151121_131303.jpg-christmas2015-8.jpg-christmas2015-9.jpg-christmas2015-10.jpg
    Likes rcktpwrd, AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Peanuts!

very cool!

Nice job!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

After some digging, I found some earlier pictures.
    Bob-20151114_181406_resized.jpg-20151114_181414_resized_1.jpg-20151116_122535_resized.jpg-20151116_135158_resized_1.jpg-20151116_135203_resized.jpg-20151121_110646_resized.jpg-20151123_141146.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow Bob .. I am just now getting around to seeing this post. Awesome idea and spectacular results. I can't wait to see them live. Over time when you have more channels to "spare" you could put small spot lights or lights strings near each one .. and sequence them.

If you do consider mini spot lights, it might take some experimentation to figure out ones that will work. I tried several sets of LED DJ spot lights for my front porch guards. And I found that they all had delays of between .1 and .2 seconds. Unfortunately this was enough delay to mess up the precision look of the lights, so I ended up going to back to mini incandescent spot lights. I have noticed that they sell warm white versions of the same spot lights that are sold as RGB spots. I am curious of those would have a delay to them. The other thing that you have to consider when you buy spot lights is the lens. Spot light lenses have different degree ratings. If you want your spot light to just illuminate a face (like my guards) then you need something like 6 degrees (or smaller). This keeps the light into a tight circle. If you want wide coverage like the RGB spot lights., those are much wider. Probably 30 or 40 degrees.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Way ahead of you Denny, they each do have an LED spot light on them, and each character has a channel of their own, except the twp piece Group has one spotlight for both pieces.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    Way ahead of you Denny, they each do have an LED spot light on them, and each character has a channel of their own, except the twp piece Group has one spotlight for both pieces.
    Excellent. I am curious if your LED spotlight has any delay or not? The way to find out is to set up a bunch of short pulses in your software, and assigned them to the a spot light and also to a regular light string that is near the spotlight. If you see them coming on at exactly the same time, then yours is a good one (and I'd like to know the brand).

I would love to replace my incandescent spotlights but I'd like to be sure first.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I really haven't noticed a delay, but also haven't looked that hard either. I'll see if I can find that name brand for you. These are some $7 cheap ones from Home Depot.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I really haven't noticed a delay, but also haven't looked that hard either. I'll see if I can find that name brand for you. These are some $7 cheap ones from Home Depot.
    Yes I am very interested. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I had mine running for a couple days and didn't notice it until I some some accent points where everything was supposed to be together. And the spot lights flashed during the "dark" portion of the accents. I contacted American DJ, the maker, and they confirmed that their spot light have power on delays and would not work for light sequencing. Since them I have been suspicious of all spot lights but I really don't know if this is a chronic thing or if it was just the American DJ design .. FOr $7 I would grab one and try it here, but we don't have Home Depots here .. just LOWES. I might go to their website to see if I can tell which one you have ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We're making Snoopy's dog house to ad to our Peanuts characters for this years display.
    And last season we only had four channels left that we could use on our Spiral Tree that my son and I made on the back deck. This season the Spiral Tree has 2 Light O Rama controllers all to itself. We're really to start stringing that tree and see some lights!
    See more on our Facebook page we're working on!
    Wheeldon Family Lights:smiley

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We're making Snoopy's dog house to ad to our Peanuts characters for this years display.
    And last season we only had four channels left that we could use on our Spiral Tree that my son and I made on the back deck. This season the Spiral Tree has 2 Light O Rama controllers all to itself. We're really to start stringing that tree and see some lights!
    Be sure to share progressive construction pictures, rough dimensions, design and tracing details, paint and primer used, etc. That helps others to build their own custom signs.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole