Thread: Help: trying to create a border/perimeter with rope lights and giant candy canes...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Help: trying to create a border/perimeter with rope lights and giant candy canes...

So I have a LOT of these 32" candy canes:

-k2-_9f800795-24c0-4e2b-87bd-d42bf27eec67.v1.jpg

And my plan is to encircle my yard with them, about every 8 feet and string a long rope light across them.

(they are 3/4" in diameter and sitting atop rebar Ive driven into the ground.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to attach the rope light?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Help: trying to create a border/perimeter with rope lights and giant candy canes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    So I have a LOT of these 32" candy canes:

-k2-_9f800795-24c0-4e2b-87bd-d42bf27eec67.v1.jpg

And my plan is to encircle my yard with them, about every 8 feet and string a long rope light across them.

(they are 3/4" in diameter and sitting atop rebar Ive driven into the ground.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to attach the rope light?
    I use the small tie-wraps, two per candy cane. The milky colored ones are the mos invisible for this. Assuming the rope light is perpendicular to the candy cane, put the tie-wraps cross-corner in an "X" pattern to hold them together.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes michaelvhunter liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Help: trying to create a border/perimeter with rope lights and giant candy canes.

I don't know how strong the plastic is, but I have a very similar setup and we used 3/4" cup hooks screwed into the candy canes. Very effective.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is what my border looks like during the night and a close-up picture of one during the day:

-20151203_224142.jpg

-20151213_150247.jpg

The candy canes are made with 1/2" PVC pipe cut to 40" lengths. They are then filled with sand, heated at the end and rolled on a large metal disk the size of the hoop. This helps cool and hold the shape of the cane. We remove the lettering by using Acetone, then use 1/2" red vinyl electrical tape to stripe the cane. Finally, 3 cup hooks are drilled into the pipe and the cane is placed on a 2-ft long piece of 1/2" steel rebar. The bottom cup hook is screwed into the rebar holding the cane into place. It's nearly impossible to remove one without unscrewing the cup hook on the bottom. This helps ensure no one removes a cane and exposes a piece of rebar. They are also not going anywhere, even if running into them with a lawnmower. I pity the angry driver that may attempt to run over the fence, as they will have quite a bit of damage on their vehicle. In the event vandalism does take place, the canes are cheap and easy to make, and the parts can be found at any home improvement store.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nice job ! I can't wait to see your display ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control