Thread: Attn: Denny - Info on your icicles please :)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Attn: Denny - Info on your icicles please :)

hey Denny,
    I looked through and didn't see anything on how you mounted your icicles.... am I correct in that you strapped them to PVC pipe, drilled a whole in each end and hung them from the outside of the house? Please let me know Thanks!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Attn: Denny - Info on your icicles please :)

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    hey Denny,
    I looked through and didn't see anything on how you mounted your icicles.... am I correct in that you strapped them to PVC pipe, drilled a whole in each end and hung them from the outside of the house? Please let me know Thanks!
    Hi .. Yes, I use 1/2" PVC pipe. I had 7 sets of icicles on each run. Double white (clear), double red and triple blue - on each pipe. Of course that is only 3 channels but the lights were multiplied for more density and also resistance to holes showing up if bulbs go out. I used Removable Zip Ties (aka Tie Wraps), to hold the strings to the pvc. Then I drilled holes in the center of the pvc about every 30 inches to screw the pipe onto the fascia board. But if you have gutters, it would work well to bend white coat hangars into hooks that could be wrapped around the pvc pipe and a small hook to catch the gutter. I would probably double the coat hangar for strength.

Off season I stored the ice in the top of my garage by mounting shelf brackets on the wall. Then at the end of the shelf brackets I placed a long bolt standing up and being held in place with the nut. With the bolt standing up as "stop" the the pvc pipe could not slip off the end of the shelves. The nice part of this is the icicles hang down in place all year, so they looked perfect all the time. I highly recommend this method ..

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I stole Denny's idea and tweaked it for me display.

Rather than PVC, I bought 8' strips of wood/moulding from Home Depot. They were already primed white, and I added another coat of external latex for protection.

I went with the wood for a couple reasons:
    1. It was more rigid than the PVC
    2. It sits flatter against the trim of my house
    3. From about 10' away and farther, it disappears against the trim of my house.

Same concept, just slightly different spin.

Feel free to stop by- mine are up right now for my Halloween display....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wonderful! Thanks Denny and Paul - and My mother in law is in town this weekend, so we might just stop by Sunday night and take in the show

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I stole Denny's idea and tweaked it for me display.

Rather than PVC, I bought 8' strips of wood/moulding from Home Depot. They were already primed white, and I added another coat of external latex for protection.

I went with the wood for a couple reasons:
    1. It was more rigid than the PVC
    2. It sits flatter against the trim of my house
    3. From about 10' away and farther, it disappears against the trim of my house.

Same concept, just slightly different spin.

Feel free to stop by- mine are up right now for my Halloween display....
    Excellent idea ! I would add one more spin to yours. When I lived in Ohio I would mount lights to painted boards. But the problem I had was they would start to rot on the edges and the ends after just a few seasons. Of course winters are rougher up there too. In Cary I switched to using Cedar wood. It is lighter but it is very rot resistant. There is still a down side .. it's a lot more expensive. But my roof boards that held the C9s around the roof since 2006, are still in great shape. And they were only clear coated the first year. If you prime and paint Cedar, it's probably good for 25 or 30 years of Christmas seasons. For any screws you need, I recommend Stainless Steel. They will never rust or corrode.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control