Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: hows everyones pre season going

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    well it begins i can t do ladders any more so this is what i use i can run the eves of my house with 3 strands and 2 rows of icicles lights in 3 hours with this and it was free it will go to 20 foot high and its 20 foot long it can be moved by hand or lawn mower or pulled with your car or truck if needed after fold downAttachment 2700
    It doesnt look like you need to go 20' to get to your eaves in that photo?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

no paul i don t but it comes in handy doing tall trees and my mega thats 22 foot tall with topper its also dandy to have in the spring when trimming.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    no paul i don t but it comes in handy doing tall trees and my mega thats 22 foot tall with topper its also dandy to have in the spring when trimming.
    Yes- I'm jealous!

I'm doing a mega tree for the first time this year and realized I need to rig some sort of winch/pulley system to get the lights to the top!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I made some good progress yesterday. The megatree got all new light strings. As I've mentioned before, I wore out a set of strings in four seasons by installing them in early October each year. It was a bit of extra work since all new strings, so I still went a little early this year. I'll wait until the weekend beofre Thanksgiving from now on. I would like to get 7 or 8 seasons from a set before the color wears off.

Bob Wheeldon and a few guys from my Christmas setup group came by. Bob's son Tim also pitched in too.. Got the shooting stars and the pixel snowflakes on the roof too. I was wiring up my talking Christmas trees last night. The power and controllers are installed, Now I've got 18 4-conductor wires to finish, then I just need some feet to lean them back a little.

I only work 4 days this week, then Friday I start my "vacation" that runs through Dec 1st. I plan to have everything on the roof, wired and tested by Friday night, so I don't get "stuck" with snow on the roof and no way to finish (like I did in 2011). Then I'll have about 9 days to finish the yard and update my software.

@Paul Lowe the best place for mega tree crowns and pulley systems is ChristmasLightShow.com Here is most of their accessories but they have other stuff in the RGB area too:

how to make an outdoor christmas tree

I did a similar frame to their large PVC frame but my own dimensions. But if you don't want to make a fancy frame, they have some neat ring anchors.

For my 21' megatree I use 1 1/4" pipe and these fittings:

Mega Christmas Tree Pulley Head
    Mega Tree Hook Head - outdoor Christmas decorations

I also bought their small rope light Bethlehem star for the top. Their design includes a threaded female at the top of the pulley system for adding a star or whatever you want.

You can buy their winch or another goo place is Northern Tool. Northern costs less but sometimes they are out of stock. You will also need some Steel cable for your winch system and for your guy wires. I use a couple trees for some of my guy wires. You may need some ground anchors for those too. The wind can kill a megatree quickly if you don't use heavy guy wires. Mine are 3/16"

Swing by an check it out if you want ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    @Paul Lowe the best place for mega tree crowns and pulley systems is ChristmasLightShow.com Here is most of their accessories but they have other stuff in the RGB area too:

how to make an outdoor christmas tree

I did a similar frame to their large PVC frame but my own dimensions. But if you don't want to make a fancy frame, they have some neat ring anchors.

For my 21' megatree I use 1 1/4" pipe and these fittings:

Mega Christmas Tree Pulley Head
    Mega Tree Hook Head - outdoor Christmas decorations

I also bought their small rope light Bethlehem star for the top. Their design includes a threaded female at the top of the pulley system for adding a star or whatever you want.

You can buy their winch or another goo place is Northern Tool. Northern costs less but sometimes they are out of stock. You will also need some Steel cable for your winch system and for your guy wires. I use a couple trees for some of my guy wires. You may need some ground anchors for those too. The wind can kill a megatree quickly if you don't use heavy guy wires. Mine are 3/16"

Swing by an check it out if you want ..
    As usual, your post has answered about 20 current and future questions!

As I look at that site, Im now wondering if Id be better off building a megatree from scratch using 1 1/4 pipe and using their accessories for it.

The tree I have is 2nd hand. I got it as part of a huge clearance sale of stuff I got prior to last season (15 mini trees, 8 arches, 6 controllers and megatree frame and lights).
    All I used last year were the 32 light bundles that they gave me with it on an existing (real) tree in our yard.

It consists of:
    1 - 10' bottom section made of 5" PVC with a steel pipe core
    1 - 10' top section made of 2" PVC slid over a steel pipe core.
    The base is made from more 5" PVC
    the very top is capped with a 2" PVC union, females threads exposed.

-img_1836.jpg-img_1837.jpg-img_1838.jpg

When the previous owner used the tree, they secured the string harness to the top and used their cherry picker to connect the lights...

So, I've got a few challenges re-using their unique design:
    1- rigging a winch system
    1- rigging a top star
    1- keeping the 2 sections sufficiently stable (the union they provided is showing some wear and tear).

Also, since the light-hook-head only fits on the top section, it would only "winch" from about half-way up- to the top.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've never seen that one before. It looks workable tho. As long as you can get some safety guy wires on it from the top, it should work out just fine.

Getting a pulley up there is the trick. Perhaps ChristmasLightShow.com has a pulley top that would fit this ? Although there is not much time. You could plan to cut in the tree in the middle of the month .. That's a better plan than stressing over it ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default hows everyones pre season going

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I've never seen that one before. It looks workable tho. As long as you can get some safety guy wires on it from the top, it should work out just fine.

Getting a pulley up there is the trick. Perhaps ChristmasLightShow.com has a pulley top that would fit this ? Although there is not much time. You could plan to cut in the tree in the middle of the month .. That's a better plan than stressing over it ..
    Yeah... I was thinking I could drill a hole though the center of the steel pipe at the top, feed a lag bolt through and connect pulleys to each side....

I *could* try to adapt their pulley head to the pole I have, but I'd be afraid the pvc union wouldn't be strong enough to hold that head- especially if I was to use it for guy wires and the weight of the light head....

But, weighing all that vs. building the pole from Blake pipe seems like it might actually be faster to rig the new pole than to reverse engineer this one I have...

2 dumb questions as I contemplate all this:

What is the function of that elaborate pvc frame at the bottom? It looks like more than just to secure the lights?

The design for their kit states "for 25' strings of lights, 64 strings recommended"

My light strands are bundles of 6 100-ct incandescent lights (2 white, 2 red, 2 green).... These are standard mini strings so that are about 21-22' long- NOT 25' !!

Also, will 16 "bundles" spread around such a big tree look full enough? Again, each bundle would have 2 strings of each color lit together...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Yeah... I was thinking I could drill a hole though the center of the steel pipe at the top, feed a lag bolt through and connect pulleys to each side....

I *could* try to adapt their pulley head to the pole I have, but I'd be afraid the pvc union wouldn't be strong enough to hold that head- especially if I was to use it for guy wires and the weight of the light head....

But, weighing all that vs. building the pole from Blake pipe seems like it might actually be faster to rig the new pole than to reverse engineer this one I have...

2 dumb questions as I contemplate all this:

What is the function of that elaborate pvc frame at the bottom? It looks like more than just to secure the lights?

The design for their kit states "for 25' strings of lights, 64 strings recommended"

My light strands are bundles of 6 100-ct incandescent lights (2 white, 2 red, 2 green).... These are standard mini strings so that are about 21-22' long- NOT 25' !!

Also, will 16 "bundles" spread around such a big tree look full enough? Again, each bundle would have 2 strings of each color lit together...
    I would suggest cutting slots in the pipe so you can use a larger diameter pulley. It would work best if the inside of the pulley was just slightly larger than the diameter of the pipe. And hopefully the weight would not be too much for the remainder of the pipe to keep from bending in.

The elaborate PVC base creates the bottom of the tree and the trunk. That is why it needs the longer strings. Swing by this evening and I can show you.

My tree also uses two light strings per color. They call that a "slice" in megatree lingo. It servers to give you more light but also if you lost a half strand it still preserves the look. If you lose more than a half strand then you might be lowering your strings for repair. I've only had to do that once. I am not sure what you mean about bundling, but if you are twisting all the colors together, it might be a bit sparse with only 6 bundles. I prefer that the lights are in in straight lines.

As for the density, you can always add more strings and channels. It starts to look amazing at about 128 strings and 64 channels ! I am happy with mine. I am using 32 channels with 8 channels per color and FOUR colors around the tree. Each color channel is two 100-bulb incandescent strings (as you are suggesting). Because of my American theme, I wanted red white blue and green. So I put up with only 8 slices around the tree per color. It's not as smooth as I would like, but it's not been a priority to expand it. I just leave it as originally designed and prioritize new effects each year. Maybe someday I will spring some cash to make it a pixel tree ............... but probably not :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole