Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: PEX pipe & pixel strip leaping arches

So when I use a single strip to make two arches, and I define two arches in xlights Layout it will say "two strings" but as long as I separate each arch with the correct channel numbers, I should be good. Does that make sense?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That sounds correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I'm feeding them from the middle. The wires enter there. Then I reversed the pixels for one in the Sandevices E6804. Each arch is 25 pixels or half of one strip. I guess if you were running them end to end or not injecting power it wouldn't be necessary. For me it is easier to run them separate. Plus it makes assembly easier. You really can't tell there is a little wider gap in tweet arch 2 and 3. Attachment 2843Attachment 2844
    If anyone is interested I'm selling these 4 arches from the first page. I'll eventually post this in the for sale section. I'm happy with the HDPE arches so these smaller pex ones have to go to make room. I'm not looking to make much - just whatever I got in them and you get the labor for free. This will be just the 4 pex sections and the bases - no stakes or LEDs. I'll have to add it up but lets say $20 or less for now.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nice job. I want to do the same but make North poles. Do you know if there is any 4" pipe that will let the light through like your pex?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default PEX pipe & pixel strip leaping arches

You are the Mike in Graham I assume. With your 4" pipe if the light is right next to the pipe wall does it show through at all? The only options I know are to use an old North Pole blow mold or coroplast. I debated on doing it with coroplast and a globe on top.
    https://www.superiorlighting.com/Pla...obes_s/174.htm

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Nice job. I want to do the same but make North poles. Do you know if there is any 4" pipe that will let the light through like your pex?
    Hi Mike .. I got your info for the TASL distribution list. I've been busy the past couple days. But I'll get it out to everyone. Write up a post in the introductions area and tell everyone what you've been doing with Christmas and what you want to do this year .. I assume since this will be your first year, you are probably not going for the Pi Players, so our June 3rd meeting won't make any sense. Our next all day meeting is August 12th .. mark your calendar. But we usually have a couple coffee shop meetings in summer. I'll be out of town for a couple weeks, so I won't be on here until May 3rd or after ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Hi Mike .. I got your info for the TASL distribution list. I've been busy the past couple days. But I'll get it out to everyone. Write up a post in the introductions area and tell everyone what you've been doing with Christmas and what you want to do this year .. I assume since this will be your first year, you are probably not going for the Pi Players, so our June 3rd meeting won't make any sense. Our next all day meeting is August 12th .. mark your calendar. But we usually have a couple coffee shop meetings in summer. I'll be out of town for a couple weeks, so I won't be on here until May 3rd or after ..
    I ran a pi player last year with my first computer controlled setup. It's definitely not the hardest thing I've done and I know very little about network setup.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I ran a pi player last year with my first computer controlled setup. It's definitely not the hardest thing I've done and I know very little about network setup.
    Excellent comment. Maybe we hold a planning meeting at a coffee shop ? @Mikeg might be interested in reviewing idea between experts in hardware and software. He's been doing a static display for a while and now wants to move to sync lights and music. Would be nice to get a picture posted. Back in the early days of sync lights we would sequence the everything. But today many folks are mixing static with sync lights and getting gorgeous results with the "hybrid" layout. Just a trickier design challenge.

Of course everyone is welcome to join us to either help the conversation or perhaps put your ideas to the group. Hardware and software. I have every weekend slammed with commitments through June 10th. so for me it would have to be after that.

What happened to the Christmas Lights and Coffee Facebook page ? I searched my groups and it's gone! I can't remember if it was @Chris Gehardt or @FrankP who ran that one.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would be interested in a meeting at a coffee shop. As you said I won't run a pi this year. But you never know. I'm looking to get some animated poles this year. Still toying around on how to do it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I need to purchase a controller and power supply. I'll will download xLights as it seems that's what everyone is going to and seems easy to use.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would be interested in a meeting at a coffee shop. As you said I won't run a pi this year. But you never know. I'm looking to get some animated poles this year. Still toying around on how to do it.
    Great .. met too. I'd prefer something like June 17th or 24th. However, May 13th just freed up. So that's a possibility too. Can you guys make one of these? I'm a long way east out in Clayton and Mike G is a long way west in Graham. So a coffee shop in the middle might be around I-40 and NC 55 (west of RTP).

I need to purchase a controller and power supply. I'll will download xLights as it seems that's what everyone is going to and seems easy to use.
    If you want pixel controllers there are a wide range of them. Lowest cost for proven quality is Sandevices and really low cost if you can solder the kits. But for the latest technology and amazing capacity that leaves all the others in the dust .. Falcon is the way to go. Several Falcon products to choose from. We can discuss in detail when we meet. Falcon has a website and a very active Facebook page.

Falcon Christmas - Index

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1554782254796752/

If you want DMX AC controllers .. there are a lot to talk about including LOR, Renard, and Lynx (among others). LOR is expensive but amazing load capacity for incandescent lights, and unrivaled quality. Lots of people use Renard controllers for AC light strings. Very low cost and dovetail well with Vixen software. Many with large LOR displays have sold off all their LOR and replaced all their AC light controllers with the Lynx Express.. including me. I kept putting it off so last Fall I sold off 23 LOR controllers and bought 18 lynx. Now I have to build 8 or 9 kits, and the rest are assembled as purchased used. Kinda forced me to get off my butt and move to xLights ! I am currently using a handful of Sandevices controllers but my main hub will be a Falcon V3 starting this summer.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Great .. met too. I'd prefer something like June 17th or 24th. However, May 13th just freed up. So that's a possibility too. Can you guys make one of these? I'm a long way east out in Clayton and Mike G is a long way west in Graham. So a coffee shop in the middle might be around I-40 and NC 55 (west of RTP).
    May 13th is probably bad for me. The other 2 June dates should work but it's hard to plan that far ahead especially during boating season.
    @Mikeg, can you start a thread in the intro section with what you are doing. This is your first year synchronizing? Going to have an FM transmitter? What kind of lights?
    It sounds like you are doing some RGB as well as standard lighting. Any details would help. A Pi and FPP could simplify your life depending on what you want to do.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok I'm not going to be using these arches and decided rather than sell them I'm going to donate them to someone. Let me know if you want them. You'll have to pick them up as well as supply your own WS2811 LED strips for inside of them.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Ok I'm not going to be using these arches and decided rather than sell them I'm going to donate them to someone. Let me know if you want them. You'll have to pick them up as well as supply your own WS2811 LED strips for inside of them.
    That didn’t take long, they are spoken for.