Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Lor, pixes, dumb rgb ?

starting to look at getting a supply list together and haven't been able to wrap my mind around this completely. i'm looking at running 2 or 3 LOR controllers using my computer off a RS485.

then use my Ethernet out port hooked up to a switch for me e131. i'm familiar with how to hook up the ecgp-12s to the switch. my question is for the dumb RGB can i just plug that into the switch after i have it programmed to the correct universe and channel? just looking at the basic 3 channel rgb controllers like
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 10W RGB flood light, with IR remote controller,AC100 240V input from Reliable rgb light blue suppliers on Ray wu's store
    3 Channel RGB DMX Controller - 12v DC Bare Lead Input/Output - $8.74

any cheap switch should work i'd assume. considering these 2
    8 Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch - Monoprice.com
    16 Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch - Stackable - Monoprice.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Lor, pixes, dumb rgb ?

I used 16 of those last year. You just have to get a separate DMX output to drive them. I have two different DMX outputs running from the E681s. So each DMX network has its own channels ranging from 1 to 512 .. I don't know the ECG gear but you should also be able to get a direct DMX from one of the outputs, since pixelnet is DMX already but just not amplified. Another way to get DMX is by a separate E1.31 bridge .. or just another USB device. Many choices for DMX ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

was thinking of getting the output from the switch. i've run the 3 channel ones before playing around with it but dont remember how i did that (guess i need to look at that again). plugging it directly into the switch wont work then.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

my dmx is e1.31 out of my computer tru a step Ethernet card to router then its outside to a 4 port switch then to each 658x 1 use a seperate card to keep the dmx traffic off my dsl line
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    my dmx is e1.31 out of my computer tru a step Ethernet card to router then its outside to a 4 port switch then to each 658x 1 use a seperate card to keep the dmx traffic off my dsl line
    my setup would be using a show computer only totally separate from my home network. was going to use a lor dongle for the 16 channel lor controllers i have. then use the Ethernet out put to run to a switch just for the e131 which i was hopping to run my pixel and dumb rgb 3 channel controllers off of. but thats where i could be wrong and need to find out.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

light i tryed to run my 68xs ctru my one card i found the increased traffic slowed my internet speed greatly i can t afford a second computer so a seperate card it was the only thing is i had a dickens of a time finding the new port number to direct the e 1.31 to the right card
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

o i remember i used a Active DMX Dongle to get the dumb rgbs working.. so to do dumb rgb, pixels and lor controlers. i'd need the lor dongle, the active dmx for the dumb rgb, and for the pixels can come out of the Ethernet port?

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading you right, but it sounds like you're wanting to drive regular DMX512 straight off of the switch. That won't work. e1.31 is not compatible with DMX512 without some kind of a bridge. I use my SanDevices 6804 to output DMX512 on one port (functions as a bridge) to drive my LOR boxes (in DMX mode) and dumb elements and the other 3 ports can output various pixel protocols. It's nice to just have one ehternet cable coming out of the basement to handle all the various traffic. Plus I'm trying to transition to a Raspberry Pi, so everything needs to run off of e1.31.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I'm reading you right, but it sounds like you're wanting to drive regular DMX512 straight off of the switch. That won't work. e1.31 is not compatible with DMX512 without some kind of a bridge. I use my SanDevices 6804 to output DMX512 on one port (functions as a bridge) to drive my LOR boxes (in DMX mode) and dumb elements and the other 3 ports can output various pixel protocols. It's nice to just have one ehternet cable coming out of the basement to handle all the various traffic. Plus I'm trying to transition to a Raspberry Pi, so everything needs to run off of e1.31.

thank you thats what i was wanting to find out. didnt think i could run dmx directly out of the switch. a bridge as you call it is what i'd need. just realized the ecgp-12s is supposed to have 1 or 2 universes for dmx output so hopefully i can get that to work.

ready to start playing and figuring this all out and havent taken my lights down from this year. maybe the neighbors wont mind if i leave it up all year!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    thank you thats what i was wanting to find out. didnt think i could run dmx directly out of the switch. a bridge as you call it is what i'd need. just realized the ecgp-12s is supposed to have 1 or 2 universes for dmx output so hopefully I can get that to work.

ready to start playing and figuring this all out and havent taken my lights down from this year. maybe the neighbors wont mind if i leave it up all year!
    You are on the right track. I didn't realize that you had an ECG P-12. But it's the same as I mentioned below. You should be able to get a direct amplified DMX signal from at least one channel of your P12. I suggest that you read the manual to find out. I'll check the specs from their website .. it should say ..

I don't know ECG as well, but we got a great testimonial for the ECG controller in our TASL tour last night. We went to a house that was entirely smart pixels. 10,600 of them ! That's over 30,000 channels - - Holy Moley :-) And he was using almost entirely ECG P2s. Even tho that ECG only has two outputs, he was running 4 Universes from each output by linking lots of his pixel strings together and using a lot of power injection. I was surprised to hear that his system was all 5V 2811 pixels too. And the big shocker was the guy who built it had been coming to some of our houses over the last year or two .. but he was not aware that we had a local club. Scott and Dariusz left him their show cards, and he said he would come out to our next TASL meeting. Here's a surprise .. this is the guy's first year ! I look forward to getting to know him. The only person in NC with more pixels that I'm aware of would be William Bottomley with his 6 pixel megatrees. I am still not sure of his user name .. he thought he may have signed up here, so we'll hopefully chat with him soon .. Paul Lowe posted a link to a couple of his videos .. take a look:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    218 Station Drive, Morrisville, North Carolina

Maybe Im wrong- but it looked 100% smart rgb/pixel to me.

Attachment 2554

I found one of his shows on youtube... after watching- perhaps the trees and bushes aren't pixels - but the arches, giant snowflake, star, mega tree, house outlines, etc sure look like it.

A few more details. I believe he said he's using 13 350W power supplies. Even the icicles are made from zig-zagging pixel strings 5 bulbs at a time, with the little plastic spacer tube added every 5 bulb, so he can keep the spacing even .. That allowed for some really neat horizontal color effects on the icicles. He is using HLS software - - the one that William Bottomley said he's moving to. Pretty neat for a FREE software package that is fully integrated with Nutcracker ..
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes mrlightmadness liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i'd love to see how he did the star / spinner on the garage and if the door still opens. i've always thought what a waste of space!!!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

light you can run dmx off a 68x if you have one just set one of the outputs to dmx like you set the chip type for that port

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    i'd love to see how he did the star / spinner on the garage and if the door still opens. i've always thought what a waste of space!!!
    Yes ! Amazingly enough that was my question to him. So we all walked over there. Each of the legs of the star is being held to the door by tiny loops where he cut off some silicon tubing just larger diameter than the outer jacket of the pixel strips. Then when the door goes up, the strips slide in the little tubing guides. They were only about 1/2" long. Amazing idea for sure !

btw - it looks like he did join CC last night. His user name here is @petulka7 .. his is petulka77 on DIYC .. We'll get him to write an intro in our New Member Introductions section of the Forum ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

we need pix of this one!!! was wondering if we could cut the stips at the joints and make it work as well with magnets or something

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you watch really close you'll see that the patterns on the bushes and trees don't change even though the colors do, so it's all rgb! Impressive.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.