Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Home Made Snow Fluid

I found a DIY sheet on Snow Fluid last year. And even tho I don't have time this year to deal with a Snow Machine, I thought I owuld share this for any of you who might make a snow machine. The snow fulid appears to very sinmple to make, yet it is crazy expensive to buy ! My file is attached. I would also enjoy seeing some posts for how to make a really good snow machine. I have a retired shop vac that I have always thought might work well, so I didn't throw it away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -making-snow-fluid.pdf  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Home Made Snow Fluid

Does anyone know if that's what Don Williams is using at http://LakeMyraChristmas.com?

He's the only one local I know that has snow machine experience. That sounds almost too simple.

I have to curb my enthusiasm. I have a very limited amount of time to do all of waht I plan to do, may not get it finished, so I don't need to add more. But I soooooo want to!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I would also enjoy seeing some posts for how to make a really good snow machine.
    Denny, you did say "really good". These two links are for home use snowmakers that make real snow, in quantity. None of that "juice" stuff for the toys. These are "really good" parts and plans if you want a White Christmas and have the right weather conditions. I've had these bookmarked for several years, thinking "one of these days"

here is one link:

http://www.snow-maker.com/combo.html

and another with a weather tool calculator so you can optimize the results and free plans to either an internal and/or external mix nozzles.

http://www.snowathome.com/

(I wonder how long before Al wrecks this thread)
    Last edited by John; 10-02-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's rare to get steady cold weather here. So typically we'll have to make the fake stuff. I seem to recall that Don was using a commercial unit. We should eventually expand the knwledge base for snow machines on this site.

There's a guy on Maynard Road in Cary that has a very prefessional high pressure snow making system. He's been in a local news a couple times in recent years.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Denny

Sounds like your display is coming right along.

You have seen our display and we use plain old Wal-Mart bubble bath. I mix it 6 to 1 . 6 parts water --- 1 part bubble bath.

The alcohol does not have to be use if you are using it outdoors. It only helps the evaporation of the water.

I use just plain tap water. After using it for 3 years I decided to go into the pump and see how everything looked. It was perfectly clean. NO RESIDUE !

I have use a little glycerine which will make the flakes a little larger.

I have thought about making a snow machine out of a vac. also. It can be done. One day I am going to tackle this, cause they are simple devices.

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I took a shot and tried running this fluid through my Halloween Fog machine, No luck The machine they sell for this looks awful similiar, wonder what the difference is?

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am not totally familiar with the internals of the snow machines but I do know that they do not heat the fluid. The fog machines heat up the fog juice. Do some digging on the internet and see if you can find some DIY plans for snow machines. I used to have plans for making one from an old shop vac. But lost them. With some digging, you might find similar on the good ole internet ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

WOW !! Don't use this fluid in a fog machine. A fog machine use a glycerine base and water formula. I have look into this and the glycerine is rather costly. I have had better luck at buying the fog juice after the scary nite at wal Mart. This year I was able to buy the 1/2 gal sizes for $3.50 which is cheap for fog juice. I am running 3 fog machines and will use around 4 gallons a season.

Now the snow machine we use a lot of fluid ----- 40 to 50 gallons !! These machines are very simple. and I am sure you can build one. Like I have said I am going to attempt this when I get ahead of the game. A Vac motor that will blow a large volumn of air into a sock shaped like a triangle and a small tube hooked up to a low vol pump for the fluid . I believe I have everything to build it. Will keep everyone posted but not anytime soon cause I have my other props that needs to be built.

Bubble Bath and water will make snow !!!

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Don! A little late for me ... I was so anxious to try it, didn't think of the consequences. Hopefully my fog machine is OK. If not, it was a smaller one, won't be too expensive to replace.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Don't think you damaged your unit. Think of your fog machine as a coffee maker, it works the same way. Get some distilled water and mix it 50/50 with white vinagar and run a little into the machine. Then empty it and run some fog juice into the machine. Always store your unit with fog juice in the machine. Try it and let me know if it is ok. I have done this for years and have had no problems

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i have tryed this resipy and had little luck all it did was shot little drops of liquid out the "sock" and the hit the towel i had in front of it (to test it) and foam up like carpet cleaner at close range to the carpet.

Official Lurker bobbieanddaniel's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Why is it better to use a relay on snow machines?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The triacs in your controller are designed to control lights not motors. Snow machines use motors for the fluid pump. You risk damaging you controller or snow/fog machine.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS