Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Window Outline With Pixels

Does anyone outline there windows with pixel strips/modules? And which ones do you think would work the best? What about controllers? Will probably be using smart pixels. Maybe @kidcole @mschell or @Fasteddy can give some input.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Window Outline With Pixels

I use strip to outline my windows, gutters and roof line.

I find that the strip will give less wash back onto the house than using pixel strings. I see this as an advantage because i also use flood lights. So now i can control the amount and colour of my light wash as the strip has very little wash back onto the house when used as outlines. I find that i now have an added element of control which is the washback being controlled by my floods. I can have the the walls and windows one colour and then have the outline a different colour. I can use just the floods or just the outline, so it does afford a lot more sequencing and effects option by using the strip

For windows i also prefer this because i have coro elements within the window frames and I dont want them to be washed by the colour of the window frame light

So really it goes down to do you want to get a lot of light wash back or do you want to instead have control of your washback.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm going to be outlining my front door and bay windows with "pixels" this year. The pixels will be the GE Color Effects (GE CE) bulbs spaced about 6-7 inches apart. Since the GECEs come with clips that allow the bulbs to be pointed directly at the viewer, I screwed the clips to some 1x2 strips which were then painted black, since the outline of my door is dark green. The bay window frame is white, so I'll probably paint those white. I used pressure treated lumber, and just painted it with cheap $1 cans of spray paint from Lowes or Walmart.

Don't have a picture right now, but will post something in the next day or so once I get a chance to get one.

The rest of the windows on the front of the house won't be outlined, mostly because there's something else nearby partially covering that window.

PVC and/or PT lumber is a good way to do this, however you put the pixels in place.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    I'm going to be outlining my front door and bay windows with "pixels" this year. The pixels will be the GE Color Effects (GE CE) bulbs spaced about 6-7 inches apart. Since the GECEs come with clips that allow the bulbs to be pointed directly at the viewer, I screwed the clips to some 1x2 strips which were then painted black, since the outline of my door is dark green. The bay window frame is white, so I'll probably paint those white. I used pressure treated lumber, and just painted it with cheap $1 cans of spray paint from Lowes or Walmart.

Don't have a picture right now, but will post something in the next day or so once I get a chance to get one.

The rest of the windows on the front of the house won't be outlined, mostly because there's something else nearby partially covering that window.

PVC and/or PT lumber is a good way to do this, however you put the pixels in place.
    That was kinda what I had in mind, the GECEs. I'm going to put out my 4 gece arches this year and see how I like them. My biggest concern is the distances of the lead wire. I mean it don't seem efficient to me to have two or three 682's just to run 5 windows. It would be nice if they made a smaller version if the 682. Or if the smaller Joshua boards would support GECEs.
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There's always the E680, which is smaller, but still handles the full 680 pixels, if you want.

For me, I already had an E681 up in the eaves that's running my 192 pixel single line, so I plan to use the remaining channels for the outlines. I do need to test to see if the longer leads will be OK. I do have a few "extra" GECE single bulbs that I could always make a "null" pixel to drive it better.

Thanks to @SWood for the reminder.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think it boils down to the look you want. Pixel strips are really easy to use on window frames since they lay flat. But if you wanted a bigger spacing between bulbs, then using pixel strings would also work out fine. Although the standard pixel strings do not appear to be as bright, since the strips use 5050s and the strings use something else. I like the look of large bulbs around my windows, so using GECEs would be another nice alternative.

I am going to keep my windows incandescent but if I was going to put pixels on my windows, I would use strips and then I would mount 2" or 3" wide white coroplast strips in front of the strips, to diffuse the look and take down some of the pin-point intensity that you see with pixel strips (and bulbs) .. I am going to put coro in front of my pixel strips this year in my display.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If I were doing windows frames, I would most likely go strip. Just easy (KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid), plus you can have the same effects that @Fasteddy was mentioning how you can wash the house in one color, and have the outlines another. There is a thread somewhere on DIYC about a new strip that has the IC built into the 5050 LED's, and packed in 60ct per meter. With something like that you don't really need to diffuse it, just lower the intensity.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    If I were doing windows frames, I would most likely go strip. Just easy (KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid), plus you can have the same effects that @Fasteddy was mentioning how you can wash the house in one color, and have the outlines another. There is a thread somewhere on DIYC about a new strip that has the IC built into the 5050 LED's, and packed in 60ct per meter. With something like that you don't really need to diffuse it, just lower the intensity.
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 4m WS2811 LED digital strip,60leds/m with 60pcs WS2811 built in the 5050 smd rgb led chip,waterproof in silicon tube,DC5V input from Reliable ws2811 strip suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store is where you can find the 60 LED/M with the 2811 IC inbuilt into the LED.
    Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/AVERYE...75898062427442
    Leran all about DIY WWW.AUSCHRISTMASLIGHTING.COM
    Download the ACL Lighting 101 manual at http://auschristmaslighting.com/foru...ic,1889.0.html
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What about the corners using strips? Do you cut them or just use a solid strip all the way around?
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i just cut them and rejoin them and seal up with some non corrosive neautral cure silicone.
    Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/AVERYE...75898062427442
    Leran all about DIY WWW.AUSCHRISTMASLIGHTING.COM
    Download the ACL Lighting 101 manual at http://auschristmaslighting.com/foru...ic,1889.0.html

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I saw that Ray is also working on stocking a 30ct per meter version of this if 60 is too much. This would eat up channels like crazy. A single 4 meter strip would be 720 channels, just a heads up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I saw that Ray is also working on stocking a 30ct per meter version of this if 60 is too much. This would eat up channels like crazy. A single 4 meter strip would be 720 channels, just a heads up.
    You need a controller like the ECG-P2 that can output more than 1 universe of data on a single output to use this strip. I wonder if the cost of the 2811 strip will be even lower than the $32 2811 strip if using these 2811 5050 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh, I hope so. Be careful though, the $32 strip is 5m, these are only 4m, so that has to be taken into account. However, the integration of the IC reduces cost and complexity so it should be very close. I would guess they would be about the same price per meter, making it a no-brain-er.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

making it a no-brain-er.
    Easy with the harsh words, @Rupert may get offended.
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Easy with the harsh words, @Rupert may get offended.
    Dude, he aint talkin about anybody I no. Besides, I put them LED thangs up in the portapotty out back and they rock.