Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: What the heck is it game?

I'd like to see the plans for the framework.

And I agree; black would probably be better; less reflection off the areas that aren't lit up.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd paint it black. John likes white paint so he won't trip over his wireframes at night in his yard. John goes to the Half Naked Women Store regularly and fills his truck with half naked women. When he gets home he runs around like a border collie trying to coral them into his Palace of Love before his neighbors notice. Now this is where OSHA comes into the picture. Since the half naked women are technically working the black wireframes are considered a trip hazard and must be visible at night thus the white paint.

I'd paint them black unless you bring home half naked women by the truck load.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    ...... Now this is where OSHA comes into the picture. Since the half naked women are technically working the black wireframes are considered a trip hazard and must be visible at night thus the white paint.

I'd paint them black unless you bring home half naked women by the truck load.
    Al
    What's this "technically working" stuff ? For what they cost, they had better be WORKING, and none of that only half naked stuff either!

I do like the white paint on the "Bang Star" (named for Dr Steven Bang, who made the first ones I had seen, and who I copied from).

I like the extra reflection from the adjoining bars, and when the xeon strobe I have mounted in the middle goes off, plus the 600 lights, that thing really shines.

Dave, since you have 2 of them, paint one white and the other black, and see which one you prefer
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok here is the updated "as built" plans.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img044.pdf  
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Those are really cool!! You can bring them up here and I will 'test' them for you this season.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I think Dave has taken care of a huge problem for me here. Denny and I want to build "shooting stars" for this coming year. Dave how much do your stars weigh and how and where did you mount them". Thank you in advance. I like the size that you made. What problems did you run into building them?
    Al

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The only difference is we were thinking 5 stars. I like Dave's spacing and it might fill up real nice with two channels of lights per star (spread inside and outside to give that strong exploding look ! Maybe we also have a little tiny one in the middle .. or we let the outside one get really large !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The only difference is we were thinking 5 stars. I like Dave's spacing and it might fill up real nice with two channels of lights per star (spread inside and outside to give that strong exploding look ! Maybe we also have a little tiny one in the middle .. or we let the outside one get really large !
    I only used 4 stars back in 2007 when I built this one. I'm rewiring with LED's now, to replace the incadescent minis. 4 stars of white, with red, green and blue also added to three of them. I used 2" spacing between the stars, I think Dave used about 1 1/2 inches spacing.

Careful thinking about going really HUGE though Denny. These things get heavy. Mine is 29 pounds without lights!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -8x6_bangstar..jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I think Dave has taken care of a huge problem for me here. Denny and I want to build "shooting stars" for this coming year. Dave how much do your stars weigh and how and where did you mount them". Thank you in advance. I like the size that you made. What problems did you run into building them?
    Al
    The two stars used up nearly 70' of the 1/4" rod. They are currently resting in the attic so I will need to dig them out to weigh them but I would guess its real close to what John is quoting for his. If you look in post #10 last picture you can see the star is welded to a 3/4" coupling that I milled a 5/16" slot into for the rod to set in. (close up shot in post #5) I also added gussets with some of the left over stock to brace up the star from the coupling.

I orginally did the drawing without the outer star and had one smaller in the center but I thought it might be too small and adapted it to what you see now. They were one channel last year and on top of my mega trees but will be four channel and part of a firework type setup for this year. A slip ring and set screws locked them to the pole and set the height.

I could be talked into letting you have the drawings in exchange for a copy of yours and Walters Bethlehem star plans.........
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave, I will try to do some drawings. Maybe I could give you hand drawn and you could do nice drawings like you did. If you could do that I would be your friend, if you didn't I'd still be your friend. The Windows "upgrades" consumed my Autocad years ago.

John and your stars should be about the same weight. Thank you for sharing the drawings. If you could make the Bethlehem Star public I would be extremely happy. Sharing is what separates us from animals.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Plans ? Drawings?

I just start by cutting some rod, welding it together, and act surprised at the finished result.

(or I throw up, cut it up and toss the steel rod back in the bucket to use on another project)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com