Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Dave's MR-16 Light Cannon

I thought I'd offer up the DIY side of LED floodlights for your viewing pleasure. Here's one of my MR-16 light cannon assemblies I've built. I'm using Wirekats MR-16 LED lights mounted in some PVC mounts I made (plumbing supplies). I have 6 Red, 3 Green and 3 Blue, each has 32 high output LED's, photographing them proved to be a challenge, I had to turn them down to 30% in the photo so you can actually see the LED's. I have spent some time outside in my front yard in the wee hours figuring out how many I needed to cover one side of my house. I'm using a 16 channel DMX controller designed for the MR-16's from the Lynx family of controllers, the controller and the MR-16's operate on 12 volts DC. The box is 2x8's (FREE) and will have a 1/4" plywood back and a 1/8" plexiglass front cover. They will be mounted about 20' from the house, one on the ground and the other on the back of my "Tune to Sign" along with a Light Flurries unit. I have a 1/2 acre corner lot so I will mostly have 2 of everything so there won't be a bad spot to view my display from.

Here's a link to several DIY designs of MR-16 mounts:

http://www.christmasinkent.com/howto/HowToLEDspots.htm

And a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -205christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -200christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -203christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -204christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -201christmas-carolina-diy.jpg  

-dsc_0029-8.jpg   -250christmas-carolina-diy.jpg  
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Dave's MR-16 Light Cannon

WOW! Nice job. I'm sure you saved alot by constructing them yourself.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Your light cannon look good. About how long did it take to make them, the light units themselves. Wishing I had more money to spend too.
    Thomas

Carl B Zachary

Looks Good David. Awesome work.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very nice work, Dave
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nice work Dave. The MR16 controller is new to me and definitely not LOR. Could you tell us a little about it?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Nice work Dave. The MR16 controller is new to me and definitely not LOR. Could you tell us a little about it?
    I'll let Dave add any details he wants about the MR16 controller, but this is another of RJ's creations. For the whole scoop, head over to the DLA web site - www.diylightanimation.com.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by TGabriel View Post
    Your light cannon look good. About how long did it take to make them, the light units themselves. Wishing I had more money to spend too.
    Thomas
    The body of the light is a 2" x 1 1/2" pvc reducer with a short piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe glued in the back. The MR-16 light is hot glued in place with the wires already attached to the light sticking out the back. I added a 3/4" piece of 2" pipe to the other end to give me a place to add a 2" circle of lexan for a cover lens. I got a contractors pack at Lowes for the reducers and they were less than a buck a piece. A 5' piece of 2" and 1 1/2" pvc pipe were a couple of bucks each. The lexan I had on hand and drilled out with a holesaw without the center bit. The Mr-16 controller was about $35.00 from the COOP at that time. The boards are available most of the time, just need to PM RJ over at DLA about availability. The power supply I also had on hand but several use computer power supplies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    All the Lynx products from DLA work together. They are all DMX. The MR-16 is a DC dimmer made with the MR-16's that Wirekat sells in mind. They can control any 12vdc leds, but the dimming curve may not be as smooth as with the MR-16. I haven't tried any others out. The LE (Lynx Express) you ordered on the current COOP is the latest and greatest of the Lynx AC controllers. All run off DMX, so in my display I will have (5) Lynx 16 channnel controllers (orignal Lynx) (3) 16 channel LE's (current Lynx like you ordered) (4) DMX SSR4's, 4 channel controllers, (2) Lynx DMX splitters, and (2) Lynx MR-16 controllers that are 16 channel. The Mr-16 controller can have up to 15 lights per channel, I only have one light per channel but that goes with they way I will be using it.

When you have some time go over to DLA and read through the different type of controllers and you will find alot more information on each type. I hope this answers your questions.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A picture's worth a 1000 words.

Maybe this makes more sense, 1st picture is the 2" to 1 1/2" reducer, 2" PVC pipe to support the lexan lens, 1 1/2 PVC body piece, and 2" lexan cover.

Put them all together with a MR-16, 1/4-20 nut and bolt and 2" shelf bracket with some 14 gauge wire and a little black paint. The Mr-16 and Lens are hot glued in place. Friction fix for the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -270christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -271christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -272christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -273christmas-carolina-diy.jpg   -274christmas-carolina-diy.jpg  

-275christmas-carolina-diy.jpg  

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very cool, Dave!!!
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave
    Thanks for the info and the pictures are a great help ($1000)
    Thomas

wbottomley

That my friends is a job well done!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by davetv102 View Post
    The body of the light is a 2" x 1 1/2" pvc reducer with a short piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe glued in the back. The MR-16 light is hot glued in place with the wires already attached to the light sticking out the back. I added a 3/4" piece of 2" pipe to the other end to give me a place to add a 2" circle of lexan for a cover lens. I got a contractors pack at Lowes for the reducers and they were less than a buck a piece. A 5' piece of 2" and 1 1/2" pvc pipe were a couple of bucks each. The lexan I had on hand and drilled out with a holesaw without the center bit. The Mr-16 controller was about $35.00 from the COOP at that time. The boards are available most of the time, just need to PM RJ over at DLA about availability. The power supply I also had on hand but several use computer power supplies as well.

All the Lynx products from DLA work together. They are all DMX. The MR-16 is a DC dimmer made with the MR-16's that Wirekat sells in mind. They can control any 12vdc leds, but the dimming curve may not be as smooth as with the MR-16. I haven't tried any others out. The LE (Lynx Express) you ordered on the current COOP is the latest and greatest of the Lynx AC controllers. All run off DMX, so in my display I will have (5) Lynx 16 channnel controllers (orignal Lynx) (3) 16 channel LE's (current Lynx like you ordered) (4) DMX SSR4's, 4 channel controllers, (2) Lynx DMX splitters, and (2) Lynx MR-16 controllers that are 16 channel. The Mr-16 controller can have up to 15 lights per channel, I only have one light per channel but that goes with they way I will be using it.

When you have some time go over to DLA and read through the different type of controllers and you will find alot more information on each type. I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks Dave. I thought you had some arrangement like that. We talked about the SSR4, and Lynx Express at our meeting. I am proud to say that I know somebody with the controllers in place.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm glad you guys liked the DIY project. I'm working on another DIY that I'll post soon and just to make it interesting I'll do it in quiz show fashion. Each day I will give another hint (photo) till someone guesses what it is. Hopefully it will be fun for everyone and another installment of DIY theater......

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sounds like fun Dave.

I see Michael H. jumped into the Lynx Express coop. I've got one planned too. Having 2 of us testing the LE with LOR will be really good. I see good things ahead.

On the LOR forum, there was some thread activity on the LOR flood today. I've thought about coming up with something with the new super LEDs but will wait. Those LEDs are far brighter than MR16s but the light is more collumnated which is good and bad depending on how you use it.
    Al