Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Bang Star

TomD brought up a very good question today that I feel needs to be shared with the group. For those folks wanting to build The Bang Star that Denny and I made this year, and you want to buy LEDs at the CDI presale, I will post later an actual drawing. But for now, and if you make it identical to mine, here is a list of light strings. Denny made his stars a little different, and he will post his list later.

The Bang Star has 4 stars at top. The post leading to it is 10' long and is segmented similar to a leaping arch. The stars are different sizes and the inner stars are tough to add minis to. So, we used a special right angle mini clip to hold the lights onto the star. We used right angles on some and regular parallel clips on others. I can't give you a totally straight answer of which clip goes where until I make the drawing. But, here is a list of strings that I used. Your actual strands may vary.

The smallest inner star used 1 each 50 count white strand only-- no colored. There isn't room for 100 count strands.
    The 2nd star used 50 white and 100 blue. You could substitute 50 blue with good results. if you use 100 count strands you may find them too close.
    The 3rd star used 100 green and 100 white.
    The largest and 4th star used 100 red and 100 white.

The pole leading to the star from the roof used 100 count strings of 24' total lighted length. If you use shorter or longer then the segment length will vary. I would not use longer than 24' strands and use 7 segments as you will run out of pole.

There are 7 segments with 100 count white bulbs. Each strand was 24' total lighted length.

Summary for each Bang Star (assuming you use a 50 count Blue instead of 100 count:
    Star:
    2 each 50 count white
    1 each 50 count blue
    1 each 100 count red
    1 each 100 count green

Pole:
    7 each 100 count white

Al
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Bang Star

Al -

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions:

I know you prefer 1/4" steel rod. Would anything fit better with the 3/16" and using the appropriate clips? I'm thinking at the points of the stars where things get really tight.

How many right angle clips did you use per star, and how many parallel? Denny mentioned the best prices for same are during the off-season, which we're probably in, or going into very shortly. Time to think about a group buy on those?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

When I built my star back in 2007, I used:
    (from smallest star to the largest)

Today I ordered the RGB pixel strings for my off season rebuild.

Jack, I don't believe Kellogg makes the right angle clips in 3/16, only in 1/4. If I remember right, my last order of the Right angle clips I paid approx $45 for 2500, that was last spring.
    Last edited by John; 01-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Deb says that she used right angle clips on stars 1-3. The only one that was not right angle was the largest one with red and white wires. Jack, in my opinion using smaller than 1/4" rod would cause structural integrity problems with the star. I am wrong a lot, and I am told that fact on a regular basis even when I am right I am wrong thinking I am right.

This has not been confirmed. If in doubt buy far more than you need.

Jack, do you want to do a group buy? The right angle clips are ONLY available from Kellogg Plastics. And Doris at Kellogg's sent them to me in a big box uncounted. If someone has a counting scale I will send Walter to kiss them on the mouth. Or a sincere thank you could be arranged.

Please let it be known that there are 50 million ways to make this stupid star. I know one way, and it worked splendidly for Denny and me.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was able to use all parallel clips and got 150 bulbs on both sides of the outer star. I also made 8 channels instead of 7, with a tiny 35 bulb inner star. I used right angle clips on the smallest inside star only. My color order was also different that Al's .. just to show that there's flexibility according to your personal taste. Here's my channel count:

1 - 35 clear
    2 - 50 clear
    3 - 50 green
    4 - 50 clear
    5 - 100 red
    6 - 100 clear
    7 - 150 blue
    8 - 150 clear

That's 650 parallel clips and 35 right angle clips per star. This beast is a bit of effort to get it wired .. but then it's done for a long time .... assuming I figure out how to store it safely .. I'm working on that thought now ! I also have to figure out how to store about 35 blowmolds .. Yipes (and I want more) .. !

Al and I made our light segments on the base the same. We made Seven individual tubes 14" long with 100 bulbs each.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here are a few daytime pics of my Bang Stars. Mine were simpler to mount because I have a roof edge that was almost exactly 70" from the lower roof. So I added a 2x8 as a base and then made a side mount about 70" up the post (right after the 5th light segment).

The first pic is the star with the clips on it .. ready to start wiring. You'll see the spacing with 15 clips on the outside star. Nice and bright .. but it took some extra finger power to get them in that tight.

Pics are included showing a light segment, front, back and side views of the star. Also my base which is quite simple compared to making a free-standing star. I also included a couple pics of Geoff 's Bang Stars in Australia. He calls them Firework Stars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -0915000916.jpg   -1003000932.jpg   -img_1818_sm.jpg   -img_1819_sm.jpg   -img_1821_sm.jpg  

-img_1824_sm.jpg   -img_1822_sm.jpg   -p1010114-firework-star.jpg   -p1010395-fw-star-800.jpg   -p1010492-fw-star-800.jpg  

Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The pics are informative and helpful Denny. The Star height appears to be about 36" with 1 1/2" spacing between strands.
    Thanks for the info.
    Grady

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Grady. The last few pictures are stars made by Geoff in Australia. His stars seem to have more spacing than ours. Ours are closer to an inch between bulbs. We'll be giving dimensions and a homework assignment to prepare the rods prior to the workshop (welding) day.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Until my videos come out, all I have is my new animated GIF for my avatar. Before tear-down, I made a quick sequence with the roof stars and flags turned on, and using 4 Mighty Minis and two Bang stars, I made each "frame" last for 3 seconds. I shot 15 frames from a tripod catching the bang stars in each of its channels. Then assembled them into the animation.

I guess now I can make variations of the GIF, such as running just the Green, Red, and Blue channels. Or just running them in reverse. Etc. I'll make a few different versions of this animation and change them on the site from time to time.

Since this is now the Bang Star Topic .. There are some really interesting patterns possible with the star (in addition to just in and out). One that I found has the outside of the star staying fixed and then moving inside with a bunch of fades on the inner stars. When you run it real fast in and back out it reminds you of a tennis ball hitting an elastic racket Boi..oi..oi..oi..oing ! I'll try to point out this effect and others once I get my videos done.

I ganged my two stars to save a controller, so mine always mirror. Al had separate controllers on his and had some gorgeous effects where it looked like one was jumping up and then down the next one. And hopping effects. Very cool this way. I hope to add another controller next year, but the wife is already challenging my spending on this hobby. I have a lot of hobbies, so she's right ! I may have to keep the "Christmas Crap" changes tamed down for 2011 to keep the peace at home. She won't argue with me if I over-spend .. she'll just increase her allowance too... Ha ! We can't afford that .. Maybe I can start hiding cash at night when she's sleeping ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here are a few pictures of my Bang Stars. You will notice 2 types of mount in the same picture. One mount is a saddle for the gable mount (2 separate mounts) and one opposing gable mount with a star on each side of the opposing gable. The mounts come apart easily and are painted to match the roof. The rear part of the gable mounts are used to hold controllers. It holds about 5 or 6 controllers on each mount. The remainder of the photos, drawings, and assembly instructions will have to wait until later. The top of the star was patterned after Dave H's star drawing that he so kindly made available for us. The star design as a whole was patterned after Geoff Harvey's in Brisbane QLD, Australia whom I hope he and his family is alright due to the flooding.

One picture is of my chimney mount for the roof controllers. The chimney mount fits into one of the grout lines of the chimney. It has 2 screws that tighten it together. It mounts in 5 minutes and holds up to 9 controllers.

-chimney-mount.jpg-bang-stars-rear.jpg-bang-star-mounts.jpg-bang-star-front.jpg
    Al

Registered User Scott Lorbacher's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al when are we going to get some drawings and a material list.

Thanks Scott

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will post the drawings when I have time. I don't want to give myself any deadlines. The drawings and assembly instructions require a great deal of my time. The workshop is in April. It will be before then I hope.
    Al
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I will post the drawings when I have time. I don't want to give myself any deadlines. The drawings and assembly instructions require a great deal of my time. The workshop is in April. It will be before then I hope.
    Al

Yeah, right, Al....."I don't want to give myself any deadlines....." "The workshop is in April." Isn't that a deadline?

I'm looking forward to the drawings. From your pictures, it looks like I may be able to re-purpose my Walter Star base for holidays other than Christmas.

For those of you who want to put a value on this star, there is another enthusiast selling a 60" version of this, with a different type of mount, for $150 plus shipping, star only, no lights or post. I think DoItYourselfChristmas is where I saw that.

Edit: OK, I went and found the link. Sorry, it's not DIYC. Also, the price is $175 each, going to $150 each if you buy 3 or more.

Shipping is not an option; it's local pick-up only.

You may have to be a member of this place to read the link:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/sh...ncentric-Stars

One of his videos - the concentric star isn't quite as tight as the ones Al and Denny built, so the in/out transition isn't as smooth. This might be a bit of overkill:

Last edited by Jack Stevens; 01-14-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: correction and update

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow ! I love all the stuff around the stars and the flames rushing up .. And it looks like he only put one channel of lights per physical star. They could be wired with two sets per star .. and with the option to do what Al did by only putting one set on the inner star. Mine is two channels for each. The more channels you put on there the more explosive it will look. With our bang stars each channel of lights is very close to the ones on each side. So it gives a really smooth look when you run the software.

I am going to offer some more software classes this year and we can include Bang Stars.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm knocking the dust off of this thread for a few questions since I will be making two of these for next year.

Has anyone used led mini/m6 bulbs on a bang star and was there any problems with the resistors getting in the way.

Since CDI only sells by the case, is there another vendor you would recomend to purchase quality single string leds?
    Last edited by SWood; 09-26-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: caint speelz
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter