Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Bang Star

1000bulbs.com, ActionLighting.com.

I'm using LED nodes on mine next year. I just have to figure out how to mount them.
    Al

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm using LED nodes on mine next year. I just have to figure out how to mount them.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post

I'm knocking the dust off of this thread for a few questions since I will be making two of these for next year.

Has anyone used led mini/m6 bulbs on a bang star and was there any problems with the resistors getting in the way.

Since CDI only sells by the case, is there another vendor you would recomend to purchase quality single string leds?
    http://www.holiday-light-express.com...mas_Lights.php

Single strings or case. Good customer service too. They let me swap out a partial case from Warm to Cool whites earlier this year.
    2014 Specs: 11,739 Channels of RGB Basic and Intelligent pixels. 5216 Total RGB, LEDs
    WebSite: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....istmasLightShow Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user12233488

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post

I bet the people making wireframe clips are now working on Pixel bulb clips. They have to be hearing lots of requests by now. We should check some of the wireframe sites periodically.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The star I'm planning on making this year will be similar to this star, and with pixel nodes. Hopefully it will all be done by December and I'll post some pictures as it is built to give some ideas.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah as you said before they would be spectacular. What type of nodes would you buy?
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Yeah as you said before they would be spectacular. What type of nodes would you buy?
    I've considered these. or this--package style not the IC. But these styles are not as waterproof on average as other styles. I likely will use these. which have excellent sealing on average and can be cable tied to the star. The problem with the current version of Bang Star is the star is made of round stock and pixels don't are tough to mount. Thus, I plan to redo by Bang Stars and make them of angle iron or at in the lease weld the angle to the current bang star design. I have 4 Bang Stars which makes this a mildly expensive endeavor if I redo them. However, I plan to redo the stars and the support with a yet to be determined pixel node.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've considered these. or this--package style not the IC. But these styles are not as waterproof on average as other styles. I likely will use these. which have excellent sealing on average and can be cable tied to the star. The problem with the current version of Bang Star is the star is made of round stock and pixels don't are tough to mount. Thus, I plan to redo by Bang Stars and make them of angle iron or at in the lease weld the angle to the current bang star design. I have 4 Bang Stars which makes this a mildly expensive endeavor if I redo them. However, I plan to redo the stars and the support with a yet to be determined pixel node.
    The packages you linked to are in fact very water proof, i have used lots of this type of rectangualr module on my roof (around 600) and after 2 years of use on my roof tiles I have only had one failure. These have a resin coating put on them that gives these modules excellent IP protection.

Now the pixel you did link to that you liked is only a 6803 with 5 bit dimming for $23.16 a string when you can get the 2801 with 8 bit dimming for $20 per string instead

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddy View Post
    The packages you linked to are in fact very water proof, i have used lots of this type of rectangualr module on my roof (around 600) and after 2 years of use on my roof tiles I have only had one failure. These have a resin coating put on them that gives these modules excellent IP protection.

Now the pixel you did link to that you liked is only a 6803 with 5 bit dimming for $23.16 a string when you can get the 2801 with 8 bit dimming for $20 per string instead

As I mentioned above the packages are what I wanted to illustrate not the IC. Several people from the forums have stated the rectangular packages are prone to be problematic not sealing correctly at the wire entry point. The last module package I mentioned has been used in lots of props on DIYC with success due to superior sealing of the wires on the side of the package. Besides, the smaller node would be more characteristic of the Bang Star shape.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

As I mentioned above the packages are what I wanted to illustrate not the IC. Several people from the forums have stated the rectangular packages are prone to be problematic not sealing correctly at the wire entry point. The last module package I mentioned has been used in lots of props on DIYC with success due to superior sealing of the wires on the side of the package. Besides, the smaller node would be more characteristic of the Bang Star shape.
    I agree with you that the single node pixels would be far better for your application.

As far as the rectangular modules, treat them like any other led light that you get and inspect to ensure they are all sealed correctly. the last batch of 2811 pixels i got I found 2 where the resin coating wasnt enough to give a decent seal, the rest were great. I must say though out of the 1000 + of these rectangular modules i have within my display I have not seen the issue you have mentioned with water getting through from the wires.
    I have seen the single pixel you refer to having issues with water but they were the 12vdc ip66 type, the IP68 tend to actually have the wires coming out the back where as the soft silicone (ip66) ones seem to come out from the side so if its importnat that the wires come out from the sides then i would talk to Ray first to ensure you get what you want.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks. I planned to experiment with the rectangular modules next year for another project.
    Al