Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Cable for SSR4s

I got out the SSR4s (tiny 4 channel DIY controller) from storage and started mounting them to wreaths. As part of the mounting process, I verified operation of the controllers to make certain the controllers were working fine. Then I noticed something really, really strange. I was using the iDMX (LOR's DMX "dongle") and each channel would turn on fine, but when I commanded the second channel to turn on, and this only occurred on the second channel, the fourth channel would come on too at the same intensity but channel four operated normally by itself. This phenomenon only happened with the SSR4 not with other DIY controllers, but the anomaly occurred at different controller starting addresses and on different SSR4s. So, I thought something was wrong with the controllers and verified the operation with an DIY DMX dongle and all was fine. These SSR4s were fully operational 4 months ago. So, I sat and thought about the problem and concluded the problem was either the iDMX or the cabling. I downloaded all new firmware to the iDMX and the problem did not abate, so I checked the cable visually and it seemed fine. Then, I made a new iDMX to SSR4 cable and the problem quit. Something was really screwy with the cable. I didn't and don't have time to put the cable on the oscilloscope to find out how this anomaly was generated, but it goes to show that a bad cable is capable of anything.
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Cable for SSR4s

I haven't put mine out yet; I'll have to check that. I need to make my cables for them yet.

Yeah, bad cables can do anything; we were accused to doing web-site censoring at one of our customers. They couldn't get to any of "those" web sites, plus couldn't get to many others, but many worked fine. According to the tech who ended up making several trips to the customer location, it was the cable going from the demarc to their router. Never had one that did specific web sites consistently like that before or since; usually it's just a noisy cable that degrades everything.

I have no idea how a bad cable could cause channels 3+4 to come on when you turn on channel 2; everything is supposed to be going across pins 1+2 on that thing.