Thread: This is why I use steel pipe (actually black iron pipe) for my megatree.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default This is why I use steel pipe (actually black iron pipe) for my megatree.

This is why I use steel pipe (actually black iron pipe) and steel cable guy wires for my megatree. Look at the picture in the first post.
    http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/23777.html

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: This is why I use steel pipe (actually black iron pipe) for my megatree.

I can't disagree with that for anything over 10 foot. I was hoping to do a 20+ foot tree this year, but I'm running out of time. I'm using 2" PVC for my 10 foot, but will switch to metal when I go bigger, and guy it better as well.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: This is why I use steel pipe (actually black iron pipe) for my megatree.

I agree - use something suitable for the purpose. Those aluminum extensible flagpoles are designed to do one thing - fly a flag. The joints are the weak point, and are not made to handle the weight of all those lights. Even with guy wires, if it starts moving, it will probably go down, especially if the guy wires aren't taut and/or unbalanced. Iron pipe is certainly stronger, and the joints are much better with threaded connections.

If I ever go above the 10-15' mark for my tree, I'd certainly consider pipe, possibly with Walter Monkhouse's JUMP pole.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm using a single 4" aluminum pipe (it's actual purpose is for rolling up a pool cover) that is 24' long. I've got it guyed to three large trees, being tensioned by turnbuckles. We'll see how she holds up.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I didn't know it until recently when a mechanical engineer explained that the most intense pressure exerted on the pipe is where the guys are connected. It made perfect sense after I thought about it.