Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using DIY (Do it Yourself) SSR4 module and iDMX (Lightorama version of DMX Control)

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Using DIY (Do it Yourself) SSR4 module and iDMX (Lightorama version of DMX Control)

We successfully got the SSR4, iDMX, and S2 to play nicely today. We actually got 2 SSR4s to play nicely.

What this means: the do it yourself (DIY) controller SSR4 (4 channel very small controller) will work nicely with Lightorama's software (S2) and Lightorama's iDMX (means of talking to controllers other than LORs protocol) and are compatible with each other. I plan on using 16 each SSR4 this year and the test went successfully with integrating it with LOR's stuff. It took a while to program this stuff and get it working but we made it.
    Alo
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 08-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Using DIY (Do it Yourself) SSR4 module and iDMX (Lightorama version of DMX Contr

I haven't tried my new iDMX1000 other than to see the pretty blinking light on it, but was going to do the same thing shortly. I still have to build an adapter cable to get the cable into an RJ-45/cat 5 format.

I need to find my Ethernet cable tester; I know I put it someplace where I could remember where I put it......I want to check to see if the SSR4's carry through pins 4 and 5. The LOR controllers carry through pins 1 and 2 without altering them; I want to be able to run a single set of cables with both LOR and DMX on them. Everything I've read says I should be able to; pins 4 and 5 are defined as a secondary DMX control channel, but it's not required they be passed through the connectors.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Using DIY (Do it Yourself) SSR4 module and iDMX (Lightorama version of DMX Contr

Jack,
    I pulled out one of my SSR4 boards that haven't been built yet. There are no connections between the RJ45 jacks on the PCB for pins 4 and 5. Which means that it doesn't pass thru anything on those pins. However, there is a connection from pin 4 on the input to a pin on the PIC and the TRIACs. Reason for this is that the SSR4 can be built as a DMX device or just as external SSR to a controller like the Grinch or Freestyle. Now, you could modify the boards with some wire to pass the signals between jacks. But you would have to cut the trace to isolate those pins. It looks like most of RJ's designs don't connect anything to those pins - the MR16 DC controller also has no connection. Haven't checked my Lynx Express controllers to verify those.

Interestingly enough, RPM's DMX16DCSSR boards do pass those pins thru untouched.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mark -

As soon as I saw your mention of that, I realized I was doing wishful thinking. Yeah, those things (SSR4's) are SSR's with a DMX circuit tacked onto it, not DMX with SSR's tacked onto them. Oh well, two sets of wires out there until I can get it all wireless. Which brings up another issue; unless, as Al mentioned elsewhere, the transmitters can do channel hopping, it's either going to be all DMX or all LOR wireless in my display.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The SSR4 is pretty slick Jack. It is super small, lightweight, and cheap. It will control about 80% of the stuff in my yard. It does have its share of problems though. It is a little tough to assemble and the wiring is really tough both due to lack of space inside the box. One thing that I absolutely adore about it, is that I can program it to any starting channel that I want instead of certain addresses. In other words, I can set it to 9-12 or 67-70. This makes it super easy to use. When we set up controller numbers, we usually have to set the starting channel at increments of 16, not with the SSR4. This becomes very important when selecting controller starting addresses which are usually in increments of 16. Four SSR4s will fit into the same 16 channel increment.

An example would be my leaping arches. The arches are actually 2 ten foot pieces of conduit that connect in the middle and are bent into an arch. Each ten foot section has 4 sections of lights (segments) which means I put an SSR4 at the base of each side of the arch and no drop cords are involved at all. That one little fact will save me 31 each 50' long, expensive drop cords. BUT, the SSR4s only take up 1 controller's standard starting address ( it takes up channels 1, 5,9, and 13 instead of 1, 16,32, and 48).

When I told Deb about the drop cord savings, instead of saying wow that is a tremendous cost and time saver, she asked me what I was going to do with an extra 31 each fifty foot drop cords. Some people aren't tuned into this as much as me.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It would be nice to start a document that defines how the numbering rules combine between LOR and other brands. You have a great start here, so I can try to pull out the text and keep it for future additions. Does LOR mix back in when you are not in the their groups of 16 ? For example if you SSR is set to 67 - 70 and a LOR standard controller is next, will it run 71-86 or does it want to be 80 - 96 ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, the LOR controllers are whatever you set them to be. For example I use the following number scheme for my controllers,

LOR AC controller - Number + Number ie: 01
    LOR DC controller - Number + Letter ie: 0C
    LOR CCRs - Letter + Number ie: A2
    Dmx - Letter + Letter ie: BB

It doesn't matter what order you wire them or sequence them
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John, yes and no. The DMX stuff requires 32 addressable increments beginning with 0 ending with 31. Furthermore, the iDMX busts up each into 32 addressable chunks. The SSR4 is a little confusing in that the iDMX address 0 is actually SSR4 increments 1-16 and controller 1 is SSR4 increments from 17-32. I think that is correct, I am tired and I might have missed a detail. I have glossed over some terms that I should have used but for simplicity you can think of it this way. I can show the TASL guys in person.

Anyway, the iDMX requires the first 32 controllers be for iDMX. Period. So, controller 3 (remember controller 0 is first and controller 3 is actually the 4th controller) would be SSR4 addresses 49-64. The starting address for the SSR4 can be ANY channel number. So you could start it at 49 or 60. It is a little confusing but simple when somebody explains it.

I will try to explain this better in the future.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK.

I don't have the idmx yet, but the CCRs while using 157 channels, still only use one unit ID. I thought perhaps the idmx might work similer as far as unit IDs. I'll stand corrected regarding the dmx stuff.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That is a better way to call the LOR addressing--unit IDs. The iDMX has 32 unit IDs beginning with E0. Here is from the iDMX manual. It explains it better:

The following table shows the mapping of LOR Unit ID and circuit numbers to DMX channels when using the “multiple of 16” Unit ID scheme. See the
    Assigning a Unit ID section for more information.

In the following table, ‘x’ is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A,
    B, C, D or E. It is the most significant hex digit of the
    Unit ID. Unit ID LOR circuit=DMX channel
    x0 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, 4=4, 5=5, 6=6, 7=7, 8=8, 9=9,10=10, 11=11, 12=12, 13=13, 14=14, 15=15,16=16

x1 1=17, 2=18, 3=19, 4=20, 5=21, 6=22, 7=23,8=24, 9=25, 10=26, 11=27, 12=28, 13=29,14=20, 15=31, 16=32

x2 1=33, 2=34, 3=35, 4=36, 5=37, 6=38, 7=39,8=40, 9=41, 10=42, 11=43, 12=44, 13=45,14=46, 15=47, 16=48

x3 1=49, 2=50, 3=51, 4=52, 5=53, 6=54, 7=55,8=56, 9=57, 10=58, 11=59, 12=60, 13=61,14=62, 15=63, 16=64

etc.
    The SSR4 is addressed starting at any DMX channel.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, I agree.

With the LOR hex numbering system, 240 controllers are possible on one network.

Using the Unit ID scheme I prefer, my controllers use the following convention:

AC controllers - number + number = 99 possible controllers

DC controllers - number + letter = 60 possible controllers

CCR s - letter + number = 51 possible

DMX - letter + letter = 30 possible IDs

When I receive my iDMX unit, it will be assigned unit ID of AA. I don't think I woiuld ever have more then one, but a second one would begin at hex address of CF (If my hex counting is correct.

Here again, this is the way I label and number my controllers, as keeping the unit ID range seperate for AC, DC and CCRs just makes it easier for me, of course, to each his own.

from page 5 of the iDMX manual:

The iDMX-1000 supports two addressing modes.
    1. Unit ID set to a multiple of 16 (e.g. 10, 20, 30,
    E0 in hex)
    2. Unit ID set to any other Unit ID between 1 and
    F0 hex

So Al is referring to address mode 1 (multiples of 16) and not address mode 2 ?
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am glad you guys cleared that up. I have another comment. It would be nice to start a document that defines how the numbering rules combine between LOR and other brands.

As the definition start to bloom, I will be happy to capture it .. A live demo will certainly help, since I am now more confused than when I first asked. Clearly there seems to be different views of this. And the next step would be contrasting how LOR and LSP view the hardware ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    .............. It would be nice to start a document that defines how the numbering rules combine between LOR and other brands.

............. And the next step would be contrasting how LOR and LSP view the hardware ..

Which other brands? There are quite a few out there, but I don't understand your question or its relevance. DMX is different then a 16 channel controllers. Then there are "special" controllers for each brand that are different then a 16 channel AC controller.

LOR CCR is defined as as CCR - up to 157 channels under one unit ID 150 RGB pixels
    LOR Servodog 8 ..... maybe Al can answer
    LOR DIO-32 ?
    D-Light standard controllers same as LOR.
    D-Light Firefli - program like a 16 channel RGB appliance
    Animated Lighting ..... Mark has some maybe he can answer this.
    Olsen 595 ?
    Renard ?
    Grinch ?
    Firegod ?
    Helix ?
    Lynx Express ? ( I have one, but not assembled yet)
    Lynx Freestyle ?
    Galaxia - an animal unto itself

and LSP, just like in LOR, you select the controller type you have, and the software sets up to properly control it. So, once again maybe I'm not understanding or I'm missing your question.

EDIT: to add Galaxia
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, I'll give a demo sometime soon. There are too many buzz words here that confuses the non-technical types to which I do my best to not talk in acronyms. It irritates me to no end when listening to people talking in acronyms. Walter (mostly) and I have not figured out a great number of details on the iDMX but our way is simple and will work for others too. It is tremendously confusing when shifting the "unit IDs" from default. DMX does not care about unit IDs (only LOR) it cares about DMX addresses.

Those of us with or will soon have DMX stuff should get together and make the white paper.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK, let's clear up some terminology.

LOR Unit ID - provides 2 things - an LOR "address" that LOR software can use to talk to the HW, and 2) A way to set a DMX address of a LOR controller (not iDMX) when not using LOR protocol

The LOR Unit ID of an iDMX converter is still an address that LOR software uses to talk to the iDMX, and to devices that are connected to the DMX side of the iDMX.

DMX address - a number from 1-512 that designates a DMX channel. A single device (like an intelligent moving fixture) can listen and use multiple DMX channels. A light controller (like a Lynx Express or SSR4) can use multiple DMX channels. How many channel per device depends on the device. A Lynx Express uses 16 channels. An SSR4 uses 4 channels. You set the DMX address of the board either via jumpers or buttons or a combination.

AL controllers have a Unit ID setting on the board, but probably like LOR, this can be changed via software.

Interestingly enough, Renard controllers use relative addressing - meaning that if you put a 2nd controller after the first, the nature of the firmware means that that 2nd controller get the next set of channel addresses after the 1st. This is dependent on the firmware in each PIC, which strips off the "settings" for that PIC and passes on the rest.

It looks like I may have to add a section in my presentation/demo at the convention to show how an iDMX can work in this way.

One last thing - if you're using something other than LOR Software, you can separate the LOR stuff from the DMX stuff by using an extra USB dongle to talk the different protocols on different wires.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!