Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Super display

This gentleman is very talented. I plan to copy his stars. This video was posted on LOR. I'll quote him:
    "Some display details - House is on a corner block and arches, minitrees, etc are replicated along each street as far as possible, >70000 lights with >300 LOR channels mostly DC for LEDs, power consumption typically 2 to 4 kW. Display was setup to evaluate various animation and colour change effects for arches, megatree and firework stars - not synchronised. Music is Joy to the World - Beethoven added after videoing."

The Voice Of Christmas thedementedelf's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Super display

WOW! That's a fantastic display. Great use of the animation. even though the display was synchronized to that song it worked. Good luck putting that together Al.
    Demented? yes but in the best possible sense.

thedementedelf@charter.net
    www.thedementedelf.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow, he has more time and talent then I do. Good catch Al.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll be shooting for that next year.
    ohhh. Maybe not. I wouldn't want to kid myself.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was blown away with this guy's raw talent. I really love the stars on the roof. I plan to steal that detail. It is much better on the roof than the yard. I wonder how I can support them on the roof during high winds? Sounds expensive.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow, some fantastic ideas. I love the little "splat" at the end of the arches. I think rope light would make a really easy 4 channel (or more) star.

We have been discussing ways to expand on the American flag theme that is "combined" into my Christmas house design. Helen and I both love this star design. Also, my house is similar since I also sit on a corner. His idea of duplicating the effects on both side is fantastic. I love the symmetry! A simple harness of 22ga wire would tie both sides together if it's all DC.

More confirmation that DC controllers are the way to go for the "effects" displays. And co-located controllers - - so we can just pack up the whole display unit intact for the next year ! We gotta think small too. Small <DC> controllers, small weatherproof case, small wire. But BIG display !

We're still missing some needed invention and new technology tho. I first saw it when I was a kid .. (hmmmm ... last week ?) .. It's that thing that George Jetson uses. He pushes a button and everything collapses into a simple brief case. This would be handy for us when it comes to tear down time .. :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

While I have a four channel wireframe exploding star made with white LED lights, I use color caps on some of the strings for patriotic holidays.

I think using Mel's concept of a star with the CCR is something I'll explore more this spring during build season.

I can imagine using a couple of CCR ribbons to still give the exploding effect, but have the advantage of each of the 150 LEDs on each ribbon being capable of any of 2 million colors. Would be much lighter weight wise, and practically no current draw at all.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Excellent idea John. I spoke with Mel this week, and he continues to find amazing shapes from his star. He also thinks there's a bigger advantage to programming the CCR with standard software channel techniques rather than getting locked into their Macros. Once you find patterns that fit your shape, they are simple to replicate and move around. The macro would never take your physical shape into account ...

Perhaps a half dozen fixed inside layers for a star, with a CCR on the outside .. Whooooo boy ! I am picturing it sitting on the top middle of my roof as I write !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control