Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Neighbor problems and displays

We've talked several times at the Triangle meetings about involving our neighbors in the display. Here is a post on PC about what happens when a display gets out of hand.
    Help Run in with police tonight! - Forums of PlanetChristmas

I would have monitored the situation and shut down the display early and profusely apologized to my neighbors. This is a typical situation of how a display gets out of hand and instead of being a responsible person, he lashes out.

I am extremely happy this guy is not my neighbor. Not to mention it is "flips a 180" and not "flips a 360".
    Al

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Neighbor problems and displays

I would just shut mine down until things cleared out. Fortunately my neighbors have all been giving great positive comments (so far). And there's a second house with a lot of lights about 5 houses down in a cul-de-sac. When he saw my show he ran out and bought the Gemmy controller to sync his windows and bushes to some kind of squeaky music .. It's really cute tho. We've always liked their display ..

Also looks like the "word" is out on my address around Cary. We had two large busses last night - one from a Baptist Church with everyone cheering inside. And the other some kind of <gorgeous) tour bus with giant windows. Could not see anyone inside that one and they never made a sound.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al,

I took your advise, went door to door and visited all my neighbors prior to the first night of our show and explained what I was doing and that there was the potential for a traffic jam. I also told them that the relationship I have with them was more important than some blinking lights.

Since then every neighbor on this street has stopped me to tell me how cool the display is and they have talked me into running it on Sunday nights too. I really hope our display doesn't draw too many cars. I would hate to shut it down, but I will.

In the future I plan to focus our fun with this hobby on quality and not quanity. Ever see that movie "Deck The Halls"?

Well, like I always say: "It's easier to prevent a problem, than it is to fix one"

Thank you Al, Your wisdom has saved us alot of heartache.

Vic and Cindy Weston
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you Vic. Those are kind words that I don't deserve. You did the right thing from day one and it is paying of. I am really glad to hear that.

Wow, tour buses? Denny you're in a good place to have a big display.
    Al

The Man's In The House Lightaholic's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with the man on PC...it's my decorations, my yard, my gift to the community. It is my property.

If someone can't handle it...sorry. I don't complain because you paint your house pink or park your car on the side of the road. I couldn't tell you how many in my neighborhood have parties or get togethers with people parked everywhere. I just slow down and drive around.

As a matter of fact, my house is across from the community pool. They park all over my grass during the swim meets. As long as they are not more than 15 feet from the center line...it's city property and legal for them to park there. (Trust me, my neighbor had the police out several times).

I don't have this problem...never have, but I would not give in...period. I have way too much invested in my hobby to let some idiot take that away for no apparent reason. Just my opinion.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I value my standing in the community, and I value the peace, harmony, and lives of my neighbors. It may be your property,but when your actions effects my life then your actions are now my concern. I don't live on an island.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well everyone, old grandpa here has got to climb aboard on this subject since I have got years of experience of dealing with different situations. Deal with neighbor situations quickly and apologize and try to correct the situation. The two situations that will effect the most of us is noise (music) and traffic. We can correct the noise (music) very quickly but the traffic can be a huge headache.

Last night Lake Myra Christmas set a record in attendence which we estimate 1000 to 1500 people . We gave out over 500 cups of hot chocolate ! WOW ! When I came out at 7:00 to present our magic show I was blown away from the crowd and said to myself " where is everyone parking ? " After the magic show I ask the ones helping out about the traffic situation. Sure it was a mess and we only had to move a few further off the road. But the road was not blocked.

A lot of you have been here, and as you know we are located on a rural road, but the road has got to be open to tru traffic. This is the Law !! We were able to maintain 2 way traffic but it took a lot of hard work walking the road. We had buses. limos. even a hummer limo that look to be 50' long. LOL That was the longest thing I have ever seen !!

Everyone has different situations, but deal with them quickly and don't let it get out of hand. We are bless to have help to keep it under control.
    In Wake County there is a law on noise level which I believe is 55db measured 5 ' from your property line. I will try to locate this and post it. But you can control this. We also have a private road close to us and we post no parking sign on this road. If someone parks on it , then they are at fault not us.

Above all stay on top with any situation, be nice to your neighbors, work with your local police and enjoy your display and don't think that you are always right. Just use a little common sense. Most laws are really on your side.

Don
    PS: This will be a great topic at our next meeting in April ! What does everyone think ?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I only have one neighbor that may eventyally be problematic. He has made the comment to my wife that he thinks we do not like him b/c he is a Jahovah's Witness!! I told my wife..."no I don't like him b/c he called the law out to my house at 9pm b/c our dog barked in the afternoon." We have a beagle, and beagle's like to let you know if they see something (cat, rabbit, etc... etc..) After a good discussion with the neighbor and the officer I don't think he will complain again especially since the neighbors wouldn't back him up on a petition to get the Home Owners association to make me tell my 7 year old son that he has to get rid of his dog b/c it does what God gave it the ability to do. I have never had any complaints on the Christmas display even though some of my music (Christmas with a capital C and Away in a Manger) could be offensive to Jahovah's witnesses. I don't have a lot of traffic which is ok with me. I like to see people outside watching but this is mainly done for the enjoyment of my family, friends, and neighbors who choose to come watch it. I would definitely stay on top of any complaints and try to fix the problem asap. I wouldn't want to take the display down but if I had to I would take the animation out of it and make a big static display. If any of you are going to be out toward the Bunn/Youngsville area and would like to come by to see the display email me at lsalter28@yahoo.com and I would be glad to give you an address and directions.

Lee

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Lee, you are a good man.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Neighbor problems (NONE SO FAR !) .. !

Well ... if I can get through tonight without any neighbor complaints, then I should be golden for the season. Yipes... the traffic is pretty crazy. I might film some of it for future reference. Tonight has been closer to 30 cars at a time. Lots of people standing in front instead of just staying their cars. Heck, the house looks better standing outside anyhow.

And talking with people I get a lot of ideas presented. One of the ideas is so good, I am going to implement it in the morning. We were talking about how the trees block my mega-tree from many of the angles. And sadly I cannot do anything about the large trees. We have serious rules here about taking down trees, and I would not be granted permission to do that. BUT .. the great idea is related to the mini trees in front of the mega tree. There are 8 of them in a 180 degree radius in front of the mega tree. He said, "why don't you move them outside the treeline so they are easier to see" ..... wow, that one hit me immediately as a great idea. I have even been tempted to go out there and move them while the system is running .. but a few of the wires may need extensions. I'll do it in the morning tho. I can't wait !!

I've been out all evening talking with people. They are out there with their kids and the kids are really pumped. They don't want to leave .. <cool> !

Many of the sequences have the mini tree moving with the mega-tree
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Neighbor problems (NONE SO FAR !) .. !

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    We were talking about how the trees block my mega-tree from many of the angles. And sadly I cannot do anything about the large trees. We have serious rules here about taking down trees, and I would not be granted permission to do that.
    I love not having to get permission to do what I want at my house... ****Looking left and right... no wife around***** Yea I do what I want...

The second year of doing animated lights I had all the trees in my front yard cut down because they were a "danger to the house" if they fell.... That's my story and I am sticking with it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo_060208_001.jpg