Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Carpenter Lights - I woke up this morning and at some point realized that it's time to setup the show!!! Man that snuck up on me!!! I'll be spending time in the basement today digging out my stuff and getting things ready to put out. And figuring what was broke last year that I didn't bother fixing.

I had planned to convert some stuff to FPP and pixels this year. I never sat down to master Xlights so that plan is out. For me, I lost my job in March and found one again in September. I had my first summer break in 24 years and truly enjoyed it. Lots of family activities and traveling. In addition to the job search, of course. And a little bit of PokémonGo...

For me, I'm glad to have refocused on my priorities this year. Now it's time to sit down, fire up the Christmas channel on SiriusXM, dust off the boxes in the basement, and get ready to go!!!

So how's your show coming?!?!

PS - Anyone got a lift I can borrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Scott M.
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Nothing like waiting till the 10th hour to get started! Not quite the 11th hour yet, but it's getting close!

Our display is coming along, another few days of setup and we should be ready to go!
    Joel

Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i think we are about 95 percent up
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

According to my knees, I was done last week.... but like Joel said, a few more days and we are done
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wait, it's time to start setting up? Crap.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0
    Likes scottmcl, rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We spent most of the day out in the yard and have about 90% of the display setup and ready to go. Just a few more things to put out and some stuff to wire up.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hurricane Matthew dealt us a blow I did not think we could recover from to have a show this year. It hit at the end of a week's PTO I use to start setting up, lucky we slowed down as the forecast was showing us in the path. We live on 5 acres with 60-75 foot tall pine trees, We had trees uprooted, snapped or leaning real bad. We had over 50 trees affected. Our charity found us a tree man in Tennessee that was willing to come help, spent 5 days putting the leaners on the ground. Some volunteers came with chain saws and cut up the trunks. Then the three of us (wife, sister in law and myself) moved the wood to the street and the limbs/greenery to the dump (40+ loads so far). We got the area safe and display area cleaned enough to restart setup. Will have more debris to move after light season is over. We were very rushed this year, but we should be able to take a breather on Thursday. BTY, we were lucky compared to so many, little roof damage to house and one tree that slowlllllly uprooted and laid across our christmas storage building. -dsc01299.jpg
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by koi_plumber View Post
    Hurricane Matthew dealt us a blow I did not think we could recover from to have a show this year. It hit at the end of a week's PTO I use to start setting up, lucky we slowed down as the forecast was showing us in the path. We live on 5 acres with 60-75 foot tall pine trees, We had trees uprooted, snapped or leaning real bad. We had over 50 trees affected. Our charity found us a tree man in Tennessee that was willing to come help, spent 5 days putting the leaners on the ground. Some volunteers came with chain saws and cut up the trunks. Then the three of us (wife, sister in law and myself) moved the wood to the street and the limbs/greenery to the dump (40+ loads so far). We got the area safe and display area cleaned enough to restart setup. Will have more debris to move after light season is over. We were very rushed this year, but we should be able to take a breather on Thursday. BTY, we were lucky compared to so many, little roof damage to house and one tree that slowlllllly uprooted and laid across our christmas storage building. -dsc01299.jpg
    Wow Ross .. You guys had it rough .. That giant tree over the building is amazing that it didn't flatten the building ! Good luck with your recovery and getting the display up !

We lost 10 trees but they were all in the woods. Nothing near the house. I've cut up 9 of them so far. Might finish today.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow!!! Glad the damage is minimal.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Done!
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter
    Likes AnniesSS, scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks like our Saturday evening opening is a GO! Just some 'last minute' details, one of which is my LOR network was being flaky on this evenings testing. controllers being found 3 days ago are not now, others coming up with weird controller numbers. Will be doing a full initialize in the daylight tomorrow. Never got my P10 panels operational, when I got the wireless working, discovered it was too far from router. Decided to run Cat5 the 350' but I messed up something on the network tab on the BBB. Typing all this while waiting for the new image to load on BBB, hopefully will work and have a working sign for start of show. Hoping everyone has a successful light season!
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We spent quite a few hours finishing up yesterday - more time then I thought, but I'm so glad it was a beautiful day and we had a couple of helpers with us too

We have a glitch with our FM transmitter, which Joel will have to work on today. I made some changes to the display - both accidental and on purpose - so I have some changes to make in my few sequences, but other then that, we had some great traffic last night, made some new friends and had a blast!!!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    We spent quite a few hours finishing up yesterday - more time then I thought, but I'm so glad it was a beautiful day and we had a couple of helpers with us too

We have a glitch with our FM transmitter, which Joel will have to work on today. I made some changes to the display - both accidental and on purpose - so I have some changes to make in my few sequences, but other then that, we had some great traffic last night, made some new friends and had a blast!!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your first sequenced display with FM broadcast ! Very exciting.

As for making changes in sequences, I have never stopped. Over the years as I watch the display, I see changes that need to be made. So I write them down and the next day I update the sequence. Sometimes it is fixing timings and other times I just see something that could be better. I am sure I have had well over 100 different versions of my display, with small ongoing changes.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We're up and running, but have a couple one issue to get past.
    We're using Light O Rama controllers, and my son and I each program the lights to music on our own computers.
    This year I've put about 24 songs, sequences on a new thumb drive to transfer to Tim's lap top, that is closer to the front of the house. He's having problems getting my stuff to load onto his lap top. So we just have his stuff playing. But I'm hoping we get it all fixed before the weekend is over.
    Now, to get back outside, and tape connections.
    See more on our Facebook page we're working on!
    Wheeldon Family Lights:smiley

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's what we've done for our controller box's. Looks good from the yard, should be water resistant too.-christmas2016-13.jpg-christmas2016-15.jpg-christmas2016-17.jpg
    See more on our Facebook page we're working on!
    Wheeldon Family Lights:smiley
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post