Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
    I think I have narrowed the culprit(s) down to two circuits causing the gfi to trip. One circuit is one channel of our mini trees and the other circuit has some of our deer on it.
    If you need my Kill-a-watt to read your loads, I can get it to you. part of my Cary property had a lot of leaves and needles. I used to make sure that all my connections were out of the water. I used cheap sandwich bags and tape. It does not completely solve GFI breakers from tripping but it helps.

We were on the west die of Cary last night, so we stopped at a few houses, Eric, Paul, Joe and Peter. I was bummed that Paul was not running :=( @EricR, you have added a lot this year ! Helen loved the trees wrapping around the back, and your stack of snowflakes. Joe's house is awesome this year. About the same as last year but nicely laid out. Good show! Peter's was amazing as always .. He added a few pixels to his lower roof edge that really embellished that area, AND this year his same show is running in a single Falcon Pi Player (FPP). Over 16,000 pixels (approx 50K channels) on a single Pi.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny and Helen. I added 3 more controllers and my first rgb's. I borrowed the snowflake idea from CaptainMurdoch on the Falcon forum. I posted my mods to his design on that forum. Those additional elements have kept me sane during these past 6 months dealing with family issues. My show is almost exactly 30 minutes long and starts at 5:30. I admit that the first 5 songs are better than the last 3, but I ran out of time to fix that and I got them free. I am changing the show all the time as I work out the kinks in the first 5 songs. Next year I am going to incorporate several old classic songs that my wife has requested and those last 3 will disappear. My extra LOR controllers helped alot in the back. The back trees are made to chase each other and circle the yard. It will be more evident next year with some better music. My first year with rgb has been a big learning experience. I also am running my show using FPP and 2 Pi's. I could have used 1 Pi but decided to use 2 in case 1 died. It was much easier than I thought it would be and I will gladly help anyone who needs it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    If you need my Kill-a-watt to read your loads, I can get it to you. part of my Cary property had a lot of leaves and needles. I used to make sure that all my connections were out of the water. I used cheap sandwich bags and tape. It does not completely solve GFI breakers from tripping but it helps.
    Thanks for the offer of using the kill-o-watt meter but I don't think that would tell me much. I know it's not a wattage/amp draw issue since nearly everything is LED and only several strings per channel. It is a water issue and maybe a nicked wire or two. We have most all of the plugs off the ground and held up with plastic c9 bulb holders. I also have as many of the plugs as I could with the female side facing down so they don't collect water, along with using baby plugs in the ones I couldn't face down.
    Everything worked just fine yesterday in the light rain we had. Today's rain is too much and tripped the gfi even with disconnecting the two channels I think are the main culprits. So I turned off the show and only a few things are on...
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Eric, I know this is off the subject but since we're in the same area, I'd like to check out your show. Can you give me your address?
    Bob
    See more on our Facebook page we're working on!
    Wheeldon Family Lights:smiley

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

PM sent.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 2016 - how's your show setup coming along?

Thanks @kidcole. We've been slammed this year remodeling our master bedroom closet, bedroom, and bathroom. A 3 month project that took 6 months. We just about gutted everything. The bathroom down to the studs and had to even rip the floor boards up to change plumbing. It's all done and looks amazing. We did almost all the work ourselves but saved a ton!

As for our show I wanted to add a lot more but alas that didn't happen. I finished my p10 tune to sign enclosure just yesterday so Denny I hope you got to see it. I took pictures during the build and will do a write up soon. I usually run rain or shine without problems (knock on wood) but the rain tripped me two nights this week and I think I found the culprit connection today. Not sure if I want to leave my sign out all night though. I'm worried someone may think it's a tv and steal it.

I added the wrapped light balls from @AnniesSS and they look amazing with the new rectified leds from our group buy. The original plan was to use the one LOR controller I have to sequence these but I never got the approx 250 feet of lamp cord and vamp plugs (anyone have extra they want to sell?).

I changed my arches to the new style HDPE ones and thanks a ton to @EricR for answering all my questions, 3D printing the bases, supplying other parts, running the order for the pipe, giving me a few emergency cables, and answered a bunch of questions. I couldn't have done it without you.

Tara got a deal on 4 nice hand made mice plywood cut outs. She refinished them, painted them, sealed them and they are out now. I really like them. We added a few new blow ups too and I fixed some that were missing from the show for a few years. Also we added a few sequences to the rotation.

I never bought pixel icicles like I really wanted to do this year. This was my one complaint last year and I just procrastinated too long again. Instead I bought some new led cool white icicles to replace the failing warm white ones. This is just for this year. On Black Friday we got a steal on a new Christmas tree for the house. It has lights already on it that can change white or colored, can do chases and such, and ROTATES! Haha.

Problems:
    The rain problems mentioned above. I also had a bad stutter on my FPP pixel network for a few days. And if I ran everything (ribbon tree, arches, floods, etc) every 30 minutes or so my network would just flake out and all pixels would rapidly pulse bright full white until I reset everything. Very annoying. replaced the ancient wireless router with a dedicated switch (just what I had lying around). I also found out I had a bad network cable so swapped that out. Since those changes I'm back to rock solid.

I've not changed over to all warm or cool white so don't shoot me people. I did try not to put them close to each other. I also have some un-rectified LEDs even though I still have rectifiers. There are more strawberry sized pixels that I bought but still haven't put out. They are hooked up to a Pi hat and work great, just don't have them sequenced in. For that matter I have other songs that don't have the arches or other pixels - want to fix that this week. I also have some GECE's that line the street that I wanted to cut the cord on and wire up to my e6804 but didn't.

So how's it going? Not as well as I had hoped but I'm not dissatisfied with our display
    I feel I've been distant from all things TASL this year. I've been absent from the forums and everything. Sorry guys. I'm still here and ready to go now that the master suite is done.
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes rcktpwrd, kidcole liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Finally about ready to go live on my property.... neighbor across the street wont be done till Saturday, but we DID get the 20' mega tree up this past weekend.

I swear my move to pixels has angered the incandescent gods, because, even though i only have TWO LOR controllers remaining in my show (down from 12 - 2 years ago), I have another one thats gone glitchy on me today! During a sequence a channel will randomly stay on, and then a couple challenge will seem to get "crossed." Its NOT the sequencing- because I can swap the controllers and it goes away. I had a couple go wonky on me last christmas, and now I've had 2 acting up this year....so I now have a box of 4 CTB-16s that are out of commission. Aggravating.
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Tripplett I have wire and plugs if you seriously want some. I know I have 250 but have no idea how much. I have a fairly full roll of spt1 and some spt2 as well. I have both size plugs. Let me know if you want it and you can pick it up and let me know what you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    @Tripplett I have wire and plugs if you seriously want some. I know I have 250 but have no idea how much. I have a fairly full roll of spt1 and some spt2 as well. I have both size plugs. Let me know if you want it and you can pick it up and let me know what you use.

Much appreciated but I won't be changing it for this year. They are up and static and I'm ok with that for now. I'd love to just buy a few hundred feet and plugs eventually. I had to go out and buy about $100 worth of more extension cords and 3 way splitters this year just due to layout and those wrapped balls ate up all my extra cords for sure. If I can acquire some in the next 8 months I'll be happy.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

3 of 5 houses are up and running for me. Need to finish the one to my left. My trees are getting wrapped today. And the neighbor up the street will require a couple hours to get modified. Still trying to figure out when I'll do that....

- Scott M.
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Finally about ready to go live on my property.... neighbor across the street wont be done till Saturday, but we DID get the 20' mega tree up this past weekend.

I swear my move to pixels has angered the incandescent gods, because, even though i only have TWO LOR controllers remaining in my show (down from 12 - 2 years ago), I have another one thats gone glitchy on me today! During a sequence a channel will randomly stay on, and then a couple challenge will seem to get "crossed." Its NOT the sequencing- because I can swap the controllers and it goes away. I had a couple go wonky on me last christmas, and now I've had 2 acting up this year....so I now have a box of 4 CTB-16s that are out of commission. Aggravating.
    Glad to see you are finally getting the show up ! I had that channel locking issue with LOR also. I never did fully resolve it. It would stop for a while and then come back. I called LOR about it and the best they could tell me was to reset the firmware, and check all their RC485 lines to make sure they were not running parallel with any lights. I am dropping LOR completely and moved everything to Lynx Express controllers. Mostly so my entire show can be DMX without have to worry about DMX adapter cables, etc. Seems like the best way to go whole hog xLights (and FPP) is to start fresh !

Joe ! @Tripplett Thanks for the summary. We knew you were being consumed by the remodeling projects. I'd like to sign you up for some things at the February TASL meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    3 of 5 houses are up and running for me. Need to finish the one to my left. My trees are getting wrapped today. And the neighbor up the street will require a couple hours to get modified. Still trying to figure out when I'll do that....
    Excellent Scott. Glad to hear it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's alive!! So apparently setting up 128,806 channels takes quite some time. Who knew? That's over 250 universes for anyone counting...
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Guess you should have started earlier

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    It's alive!! So apparently setting up 128,806 channels takes quite some time. Who knew? That's over 250 universes for anyone counting...
    How many p10 panels are you using? Or is it a surprise?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    What's the breakdown between pixel bulbs, P10 sign(s) and light string channels ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole