Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Catching Up .. Communications .. TASL Tour 2017

With so many site choices, and an outrageous number of xLights training videos, there's not as much reason to keep up around here anymore. In our "hay day" we talked LOR 24/7. But with 75% of our users on Xlights (or moving to Xlights), the LOR conversations have quelled.

Over time I hope members can use this forum to post their issues and get help. Of course this is a great forum to keep the local clubs in communications, particularly during December when we can tour each other's displays ..

I hope the engineering types can check in here often, to see who might need help.

TASL TOUR 2017

Around the middle of December I'll be querying participants for the two day TASL tour. Our tradition has always been the West side displays first, then the East side displays. We always hold the TASL Tour nights somewhere between Christmas and New Years. We have attempted to hold past TASL tours on a weekend night. But it was very hard to get good participation on weekend nights due to so many family and friends party activities through the holidays.

Mike @mpurser - - if you'd like to come down to my place in Clayton during the day of a TASL tour, you could ride with me and spend the night (since it's 3 hours to your place from Raleigh). I know it's tough to leave your own display, but I thought I'd throw out the offer in case you'd like to plan to join us. There are more displays to see on the West side night - OR - some of the largest displays on the East side night.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Catching Up .. Communications .. TASL Tour 2017

denny thanks for the invite BUT i am also converting over to xlights this year due to lors lack of support although i will still be using my lor boxes in dmx mode off of my new f16v3 just so much time left i have not thought that far ahead yet.

are you sure we checked every bulb?why is that one pixel staying on
    ]www.thelightsonpurserroad.com20200 rgb channels for2018

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    denny thanks for the invite BUT i am also converting over to xlights this year due to lors lack of support although i will still be using my lor boxes in dmx mode off of my new f16v3 just so much time left i have not thought that far ahead yet.

Denny. I check here every couple days but not a lot going on for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Denny. I check here every couple days but not a lot going on for sure.

I think it's mostly because there are so many sites to help with where most of the club is headed. And we don't (yet) talk enough xLights here.

I can probably send a TASL email now and then. I can attach a link back here for discussion. This is still a great place to get local support .. for those who need it.

My status, plans and questions - Ray Wu says all my new pixels are shipping this coming week. So they will be here before the end of the month. Several of us ordered a boat load of rectangle pixel cables, already made up and ready to install quickly into the RBLs. I also just realized that Ray Wu will make up pixels strings with connectors on both ends for the same price as buying the strings bare. His connections are always very waterproof. So there's not much reason to have to install your own ends ! I am working away at my AC controllers. They are all Lynx Express. Turns out they are 4 amps per channel if you put double AC cords on them. That's twice as much as I had thought. And they offer several dozen different light curves so you can get LED dimming to match up with your incandescents! 14 of the boards are soldered with 5 to go. All boards are mounted in cases. I added two Falcon F16V3s to the display. Just one of them can handle almost 50,000 pixels if fully configured, so I am loading one up with differential and expansion boards. And I'll keep the other as a cold spare. If any of you have a problem with your Falcon and need a spare during December, you can contact me to get back up quickly. I only ask that you order another one right away from Falcon to pay me back within a few days. That way we can always have a spare on hand except for a few gaps. I am moving my AC megatree up from 32 channels to 64 channels (16 each of Red, White, Blue and Green), and if there's time I'll add a 32 string pixel megatree that's less than 10" tall (but with 2" spacing instead of 4"). I am still picking away at my xLights config. I might need to visit someone for help in managing my overlapping channels. I like the Universe/channel method, but I'm finding that it's hard to tell from the xLights config alone. So I'll have to make a spreadsheet to keep track. I have about 6 Sandevices controllers, and my brain is so full of xLights and Falcon lately, I forgot how to handle the Sandevices to make sure I could swap in a Falcon if needed. Ugh ... I'll have to ask around. I'll also want to go over my IP address plan. I've never been able to get unicast to work with my Sandevices. My show would not work unless I configured them all as multicast. I hope to fix that, but not sure how .. Lastly the Pi players. I've had so much to do I have not worked on the 3 FPPs and one BBB. I'll deal with them after the display is up and mostly running. I hope to use a Pi with Pi Cap for the two matrixes on my roof. So that means I'll have to get the Master Pi working too. These little shits don't like me !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

More time out of town for work, getting normal stuff done around the house, etc and it leaves me little time to make the updates I want to make or check here very often....
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    More time out of town for work, getting normal stuff done around the house, etc and it leaves me little time to make the updates I want to make or check here very often....
    I remember. I used to work there. Time was hard to come by!
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm confused about this post - is it about bashing LOR, or about signing people up to use Xlights.... or is it to remind people of the tASL tour... or something else.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    I'm confused about this post - is it about bashing LOR, or about signing people up to use Xlights.... or is it to remind people of the tASL tour... or something else.
    Yup .. But not bashing. The LOR people have all but stopped talking here. We've offered training for two years at TASL meetings and no interest. And those who have moved to xLights have lots of other places to consult, grab training videos, etc. Live training is pretty much old school for xLights, since it's easier to go through the latest videos on You Tube.

Notice this is in the Carolina Talk section. Not topical. This section is just for general talk, comments .. status. Whatever anyone wants to bring up.

I was just pointing out that we've been drifting to a new mode for this club ..and commenting that I'll be using a different system to keep people caught up as a whole.

Yes, I reminded about the TASL tour to give plenty of notice. We'll get posts going for picking optimal dates in Nov or early Dec, so we can pick the dates with the best participation. And I threw in my own status towards trying to have a whole display this year.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Annie sorry i didn t mean to bash LOR even tho as i moved closer to pixels lor S 4 slowed to a crawl (its 32 bit software)i moved to x lights much faster (64 bit) and easier to use once you get used to it yes i still ask questions but who doesn t spent my last dime on bought software.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny I am curious. A 32 string pixel tree under 10'. How many degrees around are you going?

If anyone needs a backup LOR controller during December I will have them this year.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post

I check here periodically as well. I will try to check more often. I am far behind on getting my display set up. My Country Christmas is set for Nov 4th this year and I am afraid that I might not be ready. Looking forward to TASL tour.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Denny I am curious. A 32 string pixel tree under 10'. How many degrees around are you going?

If anyone needs a backup LOR controller during December I will have them this year.

The tree is 360 degrees, using 16 100-pixel strings with 2 in spacing. They will be zig zagged with 50 pixels each way. The lights will be about 100 inches high, but I am also using a ring about 18" off the ground. I also have that 50 pixel metal star for the top. I am not going to build the tree until everything else is working tho .. It's expendable if things get behind. In 2018 I may add something to the bottom of this tree.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Guys we're staying LOR but adding a lot of commercial frames that were donated to us. we've added some ccr affects partly thanks to Mike purser and have doubled controllers since last year. We were decorating part of a .5 mile drive thru and hopefully will be covering the whole drive this year. I tried X lights and found LOR to be a little more personal if that makes sense. I'm hoping to have everything running Thanksgiving night. I'd love to see everyone's display and if it works out we will. Our first year on the tour!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mike if you and Tonya can make you ll love it