Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Ferris Wheel 7' Diameter 500 12mm bullet RGB Pixels Made out of PVC

I wanted to share with you the Ferris Wheel i made last Christmas (2016) I am in the process of finishing up the drawing to make it all out of aluminum and building it in section for the easy and convenience of storage.

Don't forget to subscribe to get notified when i finish the upgraded Version. I will be using the Falcon v3 controller to control the Ferris
    Wheel, Mega Tree, and 3 3'x8' long matrix screen plus a lot more

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Ferris Wheel 7' Diameter 500 12mm bullet RGB Pixels Made out of PVC

Nice custom gadget ! How did you do the pixel wiring so the thing can spin without winding up the wire ? Wireless Pi ? Of course you still need power onboard.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Nice custom gadget ! How did you do the pixel wiring so the thing can spin without winding up the wire ? Wireless Pi ? Of course you still need power onboard.
    Thank you. I glad you like it.
    I used the pixlite 4 controller. The LEDs are connected in 3 groups of 170 for a total of 510. i connected them to 3 outputs of the controller. i could have used just one output from it because i think 1 output is capable of 680 led.
    I used 2 slip-rings, one in the rear to run Data only. One slip-ring in the front for Power (12volts) i used a 24volts gear motor for wheel rotation. My show is schedule thru the raspberry pi. I used Xlights to program my sequences. The video i uploaded to youtube, I've purposely degraded the audio because sometimes youtube removes videos with high quality songs.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very impressive. I suspected slip rings for power, but for data as well? Must be good quality slip rings to avoid the introduction of "noise" into the data. Something commercially available, or do you have the skill set to manufacture them yourself?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very cool, nice work. If you run a FPP wireless remote mounted to the inner frame you wouldn't need to slip ring the data. However it looks like it is working fine as is.