Thread: been working on electrical stuff!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thumbs up been working on electrical stuff!

Annie and I put together 54 rectifier boards last week and I made a few rectifier jumpers with plug ends from bad light strings. I have since been working on rewiring LED light strings to work with the rectified power...
    Its interesting how some of the strings are wired 'correctly' and some need to be switched around in the middle to correct the polarity.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: been working on electrical stuff!

I tried a few days ago to post with photobucket pics embedded and it wouldn't let me...

so here is the link to the pics: Christmas Stuff by j g | Photobucket
    Likes Jack Stevens liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

lookin good
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
    Annie and I put together 54 rectifier boards last week and I made a few rectifier jumpers with plug ends from bad light strings. I have since been working on rewiring LED light strings to work with the rectified power...
    Its interesting how some of the strings are wired 'correctly' and some need to be switched around in the middle to correct the polarity.
    If they work unmodified, they're all wired 'correctly' but the cross-over in the center is the manufacturer's attempt to balance out the power consumption, using both halves of the AC sine wave. It actually does help attempt to "smooth out" the flicker caused by only being half-wave.

Making a string full wave by using those boards sure make them look a HECK of a lot better.
    Likes rcktpwrd, AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I tried a few days ago to post with photobucket pics embedded and it wouldn't let me...

so here is the link to the pics: Christmas Stuff by j g | Photobucket
    This looks great. We usualy mention having to switch the polarity of the some sections. Many of the larger strings have three sections and then you have to turn them both around. Well worth it tho. Your lights will be about 15% brighter, dimming will be smooth instead of jerky, and they will stay lit much lower. UNrectifiedstrings will simply drop out when you try to dim them down real low.

I also notice the silicon gooping out of the ends of the heatshrink. VERY nice job ! You get a better bond when you let them goop instead of trying to wipe them clean.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks guys!

Most of our light strings only have one crossover section in them, nice and quick to fix when needed! We do have some long strings and they seem to take forever to rewire! They have 5 or 6 sections each!

In the end it will be well worth it. The difference in brightness and the lack of visible flickering is fantastic!

Have any of you done this on mesh strings? We have several and I haven't tried messing with them yet...
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Forgot to add that putting the silicone into the heat shrink around the rectifier is nice and messy!
    I did build one that I used marine heat shrink on, much cleaner to do! I have a small selection of it from a kit I got at Harbor Freight. The marine heat shrink has glue inside of it, so it seals very well to everything and when it's still warm you can squeeze it to itself to really seal up the ends!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks guys!

Most of our light strings only have one crossover section in them, nice and quick to fix when needed! We do have some long strings and they seem to take forever to rewire! They have 5 or 6 sections each!

In the end it will be well worth it. The difference in brightness and the lack of visible flickering is fantastic!

Have any of you done this on mesh strings? We have several and I haven't tried messing with them yet...
    We have not tried mesh strings but the wiring technique should be the same. Although there might be some parallel loops. Let us know what you find as you apply the rectifier.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control