Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default What are your 2015 Plans

Post your ideas/plans for 2015. THis may also give us direction for what to do with the May 2nd TASL meeting. The middle meeting is usually smaller, so we can concentrate on solving design problems and training new skills that might be needed.

Here's mine:

So I'm keeping my expansion simple for this year. Add the new 10' pixel tree that I made last year but didn't get itup .. And I have 16 plastic globes to make ornaments to spread around .. I might put 8 on the front side of the upper frame of the megatree, and 8 on the bottom ring of the pixel tree. This would multiply the theme of my "Tube Tree" across the yard and driverway.

We're seriously planning a much smaller house, maybe 1800 to 2000 sq ft .. We want a brick ranch (hopefully), which means getting rid of all my big stuff and go all pixels, blowmolds and wireframes. I could sell off at least a dozen LOR controlers and keep 7 or 8 for the 110v stuff. Sell the megatree frame. I would not want a pixel tree any taller than 10ft. Cut my setup time down to just a few days. I would need a big power cut (like many of you already have). All my blowmolds and wireframes are LEDs and my shooting stars or going LED this year. We're looking between Garner and Clayton (roughly South to Southeast of Raleigh). I hope to end up on a small street somewhere where I won't draw too much traffic. Then I can chill out to play with the technology and not worry about the rest.

Anybody in the Raleigh area know of a big storage area for rent? It needs to be able to be locked up.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: What are your 2015 Plans

My motto: "go big, or go home". Strangely enough, I am at home, but I'm going BIG. I'm planning to double the amount of pixels I have, and also have added another 120 AC channels. Commercial spotlights and RGB matrices are in the future as well. I plan to break 100,000 lights and 100 universes.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    My motto: "go big, or go home". Strangely enough, I am at home, but I'm going BIG. I'm planning to double the amount of pixels I have, and also have added another 120 AC channels. Commercial spotlights and RGB matrices are in the future as well. I plan to break 100,000 lights and 100 universes.
    You've turned into a pixel wildman !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We are going to get the LOR program finally and do something with it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    You've turned into a pixel wildman !
    Yes, I just have to remember to order them before October. This may be my last show for a while until I get my own place. I want to go out with a bang. This could quite possibly be the largest show in the city of Raleigh.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    We are going to get the LOR program finally and do something with it.
    That's awesome. I have been teaching the beginner classes, so let me know when you want to install it up and learn. It's not worth guessing because there are some many time saving things to learn that we can shouw you. We'll set up a trainining meeting at a Starbucks or at my house. The sooner the better. You will likely spend at least 20 or 30 hours at creating your first sequences. Of course that depends on how many channels you have. I started with too many (96) and put at least 60 hours into my songs that year.

Yes, I just have to remember to order them before October. This may be my last show for a while until I get my own place. I want to go out with a bang. This could quite possibly be the largest show in the city of Raleigh.
    Wow Sam .. You and me are equal on that one. This will be my last at this address. There is a slim possibility that we could even sell sooner, but the house may take a while to get ready. There is renewed concern at Lenovo that most of the IBM jobs will head to China. So I might get laid off .. which could accelerate preparing the house for sale. The layoff would have a package so the fixups would be fully funded .. Lots of scenarios and no idea which path we'll hit. Once I sell, I will be off for most likely one season. I can offer up some of my gear to others, and provide a lot of help with my "spare" time.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm sure well need some help and questions. Joel is waiting for the program to go on sale and he's planning on buying another controller at the same time :-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    I'm sure well need some help and questions. Joel is waiting for the program to go on sale and he's planning on buying another controller at the same time :-)
    Sounds good. I am not sure if LOR ever discounts their software. Perhaps others can chime in. But they do discount their controllers. I believe they call the next one the Mad Grab Sale. You have to be aggressive for that one, so you jump into your order within seconds. The standard controllers are usully gone in 10 mins or less.

Last year the sale was April 2nd. And the CTB16PC kit was $176. That kit comes with a fully assembled controller, plus the box and wires. It's easy to follow the wiring instructions to plug in all the wires. It just takes and hour or so to complete. My son Bobby has been assembling them since he was around 12 .. easy to follow instructions. The next one up is the ready to run model with everything wired .. probaby around $30 to $40 more (guessing) .. I bought the fully assembled controllers separately (less than $150 each) and put them in my own CTG1500 boxes. Lots of choices.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Thanks AnniesSS thanked for this post
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I just ordered some parts for 2015. My Amazon order includes 1000 more feet of cat5e cable for DMX, as I like to have a separate color for every protocol (power, Ethernet, Renard, DMX) so I don't plug the wrong cable in somewhere! To start with my 2015 additions, I have ordered a commercial outdoor DMX spotlight, PAR64 style. The idea is to have 10-12 of these mounted on posts in the backyard pointing to our pine trees. @kidcole has always suggested adding depth to the show, and now I will have encompassed a space 180x80x80 feet. Hopefully the test planned for next weekend makes this a viable idea so that I may order the rest of the components.

Currently, there are 30,000 unused incidents in my inventory. I'm trying to plan something with them, maybe a bunch of midi-trees? I'd throw them all over the house if I wasn't so afraid of heights!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We've already added 6, 3" trees that will trim out our walkway (Need a few more). We're hoping to add two colors to the front porch, also. And our second controller and FM signal Transmitter,

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    We've already added 6, 3" trees that will trim out our walkway (Need a few more). We're hoping to add two colors to the front porch, also. And our second controller and FM signal Transmitter,
    Excellent .. I can't wait to see it. With 32 channels and good channel planning, you will get a lot of choices of different patterns of light movement left to right, and front to back. I always suggest that if a group of lights don't contribute strongly to the movement, then consider grouping some of them into one or two channels. Wide area movement contributes to a more dramatic display than things that are close together. At least until you have enough channels to do both.

If you are coming to the May 2nd TASL, that would be an excellent chance to share a drawing with the group and get comments.

I just ordered some parts for 2015. My Amazon order includes 1000 more feet of cat5e cable for DMX, as I like to have a separate color for every protocol (power, Ethernet, Renard, DMX) so I don't plug the wrong cable in somewhere! To start with my 2015 additions, I have ordered a commercial outdoor DMX spotlight, PAR64 style. The idea is to have 10-12 of these mounted on posts in the backyard pointing to our pine trees. @kidcole has always suggested adding depth to the show, and now I will have encompassed a space 180x80x80 feet. Hopefully the test planned for next weekend makes this a viable idea so that I may order the rest of the components.

Currently, there are 30,000 unused incidents in my inventory. I'm trying to plan something with them, maybe a bunch of midi-trees? I'd throw them all over the house if I wasn't so afraid of heights!
    Sounds spectacular .. You are now the poster child for good habits !

If those spots are in by the August 22nd TASL meeting, I think the group would love to see them. That would also be a bood meeting to discuss cost and features of RGB spots, since we've not covered that topic in details for two years or more. The RGB Spot offerings have changed quite a bit since then.

btw - what does "unused incidents" mean ?
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-29-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Sounds spectacular .. You are now the poster child for good habits !

If those spots are in by the August 22nd TASL meeting, I think the group would love to see them. That would also be a bood meeting to discuss cost and features of RGB spots, since we've not covered that topic in details for two years or more. The RGB Spot offerings have changed quite a bit since then.

btw - what does "unused incidents" mean ?
    Sorry, that should be "incandecents". Auto-correct can be evil. I need more power, and it's up in the air if it's possible right now. As for the spots, the first unit should be here tomorrow for testing purposes. I'll see if I can take a video of it and post it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry, that should be "incandecents". Auto-correct can be evil. I need more power, and it's up in the air if it's possible right now. As for the spots, the first unit should be here tomorrow for testing purposes. I'll see if I can take a video of it and post it.
    Great .. There may also be folks here who could use the incans ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

well im sitting here waiting on my order from ray my year so far has been hectic to say the least.We put moms house on the market today all of the work we were planing on doing to it is complete.as far as my display plans i will be adding rgb light circles and something im planing we ll call mini light sticks thay will be rgb as well just think of Luke Skywalkers light saber.All this added to what i allready have color trees mega tree blow molds wire frames mini trees 6 foot light stick.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ordered and already built my E1.31, ordered Renard SS24's, will assemble when they arrive. For me, I haven't done the programming of the E1.31 or the Renard for DMX, dont really understand at this point how to add the E1.31 and DMX controllers to LOR. How to migrate sequences from LoR 16 Channel to LoR + DMX controllers. Should be simple subjects for anyone who has already done it but the cost of what I am paying for the Renard is nothing compared for the LoR controllers... So the overall subject of E1.31 bridge, Renard SSXX, enclosure selection, in box mounting, pic programming, power supply selection, LED hacks for on board status (I bought 1000 SMD LED's & resistors for this), adding to existing networks, may be interesting.