Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: What are your 2015 Plans

My plans might be changing slightly (still with the possibility that we could sell the house before the end of the year) .. But, assuming we stay for one more Christmas, I just had a new neighbor move in directly across the street. Both my wife and I were shocked when they said they used to live down the street and they are excited about the Christmas lights. They have been coming here since I first started. So .... I suggested to him that we might consider putting a couple controllers in his year and he said "sure." .. We didn't have but a few more minutes to talk at the time, so I need to probe further to see if he is really thinking of doing this. I currently have a couple ELLs and several spare controllers, so I can cover the hardware for this year. But I really liked using the ELLs to get the the far side of the house. All my light "freeze" problems went away when I used the ELLs instead of a long ethernet cable.

If he is really serious, I might be looking to buy one ELL. In this case, does anyone have a single ELL they would sell me or loan to me for one season ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    Ordered and already built my E1.31, ordered Renard SS24's, will assemble when they arrive. For me, I haven't done the programming of the E1.31 or the Renard for DMX, dont really understand at this point how to add the E1.31 and DMX controllers to LOR. How to migrate sequences from LoR 16 Channel to LoR + DMX controllers. Should be simple subjects for anyone who has already done it but the cost of what I am paying for the Renard is nothing compared for the LoR controllers... So the overall subject of E1.31 bridge, Renard SSXX, enclosure selection, in box mounting, pic programming, power supply selection, LED hacks for on board status (I bought 1000 SMD LED's & resistors for this), adding to existing networks, may be interesting.
    I can meet you to help with setting up LOR for DMX and for E1.31. Both are in the Network Preferences page. You will be surprised how simple that part is. Then you need to decide what DMX adapter you want to use for the Renards. The first bank of your E682 is a DMX adapter and I recommend using that. It's a much better solution compared with using a separate USB DMX adapter. But did you plan out your pixel lanes so you don't need the first bank ? That still leaves you with 12 outputs.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am not using any pixels this year. I am using the E1.31's on the network so that I can do everything over Ethernet and not worry about a USB to DMX adapter... I am basically replicating what SamJ did with his E1.31 in the CG2000 enclosure with the network switch...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    I am not using any pixels this year. I am using the E1.31's on the network so that I can do everything over Ethernet and not worry about a USB to DMX adapter... I am basically replicating what SamJ did with his E1.31 in the CG2000 enclosure with the network switch...
    Sounds great .. That is what I did this past year (except for the LOR network). btw - I just assumed you had bought the E682 device from SanDevices. But you never really siad which E1.31 controller you bought. Let us know which one.

Give me an idea of how soon you want to know how to configure LOR for DMX and E1.31 .. we'll set up a meeting. Another idea is we could have a session at the May 2nd TASL meeting, if you are coming.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got the software and ordered another controller with the mad grab sale! So we will have two controllers, 32 channels to play with. I need to get into soldering up some of the rectifiers we got and start planning our layout...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
    I got the software and ordered another controller with the mad grab sale! So we will have two controllers, 32 channels to play with. I need to get into soldering up some of the rectifiers we got and start planning our layout...
    Great news Joel. TASL members like to join into Coffee shop meetings now and then. You can get a lot of perspective by calling a meeting at a Starbucks. First have your ideas drawn out on paper .. maybe a few versions for different ideas. People will come out for a coffee and to discuss your plans an alternatives with you. We've used the one on Lake Boone Trail (right off the beltline) as a central spot between Raleigh and Cary.

One planning item that I learned from others in my early days is to plan your light movement as wide and as deep as possible. You can group lights together when you need to save channels. You get a bigger look that way. One item I always kept for my display was grouping lights on both sides of my house (one channel for each side of the house). Over the years I have had more channels that I could have added there, but always kept those as "anchors."

We should plan a beginner software training session one evening soon. It can save you many hours when you see where LOR hid things.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Joel would love to meet at a Starbucks ;-)
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Great news Joel. TASL members like to join into Coffee shop meetings now and then. You can get a lot of perspective by calling a meeting at a Starbucks. First have your ideas drawn out on paper .. maybe a few versions for different ideas. People will come out for a coffee and to discuss your plans an alternatives with you. We've used the one on Lake Boone Trail (right off the beltline) as a central spot between Raleigh and Cary.

One planning item that I learned from others in my early days is to plan your light movement as wide and as deep as possible. You can group lights together when you need to save channels. You get a bigger look that way. One item I always kept for my display was grouping lights on both sides of my house (one channel for each side of the house). Over the years I have had more channels that I could have added there, but always kept those as "anchors."

We should plan a beginner software training session one evening soon. It can save you many hours when you see where LOR hid things.
    Sounds good Denny. I have read some of the LOR software info and played with the software a little, but there's nothing like getting the info from an experienced user!

LOL Starbucks is my home away from home... all day everyday for work.
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sounds good Denny. I have read some of the LOR software info and played with the software a little, but there's nothing like getting the info from an experienced user!

LOL Starbucks is my home away from home... all day everyday for work.
    That's funny ! So you work there ?

We held all of our meetings at Starbucks for the first two years of the club. Then we transitioned to renting the hall at CrossRoads.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

He makes sure all the equipment works so people can get their coffee fix lol

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    That's funny ! So you work there ?

We held all of our meetings at Starbucks for the first two years of the club. Then we transitioned to renting the hall at CrossRoads.
    Yeah I kind of work there... Outside vendor that takes care of all the Starbucks, Like Annie said I keep the equipment up and running.
    Thanks AnniesSS thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah I kind of work there... Outside vendor that takes care of all the Starbucks, Like Annie said I keep the equipment up and running.
    What a great job ! Somebody has to test the machines right ? Hmmmm .. I could get used to that :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole