Thread: Im cringing looking at the weather forecast for the next 2 days....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Im cringing looking at the weather forecast for the next 2 days....

Based on previous experience, the rain plays havoc with my tomato-cage mini trees.

Last year, ANY prolonged wet weather knocked me out for HOURS until they dried out. This year, I've doubled down on the potential problem with twice as many trees :-(

I tried covering the connections, insulating the bottom from the grass, etc last year to no avail.

I had a LITTLE luck yesterday getting my mini's up and running. I ran separate power supply cords to each side of the mini tree controllers (2 of them) and fed each side from different 20A circuits. I wasn't sure if that would help- because I wasn't really reducing the loads, just spreading the same total load - but it DID result in my lights not tripping in the list misty rain we got.

Ive also got garbage bags over my trees during the day now to try to keep them from getting soaked before they are needed.

Any other suggestions from the veterans here?

btw: the mini-trees are made up of 1200 incandescent lights.... lots of juice! :-(

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Im cringing looking at the weather forecast for the next 2 days....

Hey Paul,

Yeah I am having the same issue as the only circuit I have with a ground fault keeps tripping, I was able to move it to another circuit without the a GFC outlet and it ran without any issues. Those things really don't like the rain do they. I thought I had them all removed but I guess I missed this one.

I hope it misses us or better yet turns to snow!!!

Ted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's bad. No display this year at all thanks to the rain. I just got it working Sunday and haven't been able to run it!
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I just pulled the plug for the night. Not for the rain, but we have lightning here now too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i have only had to skip 1/2 night due to rain the only trouble i have had with my minis is the wind blows over the topper stars
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No show tonight GFI are popping.
    Not much rain today just a mist all day long.
    See what happen tomorrow.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just had to shutdown 2 controllers.... 1 driving 10 mini-trees, the other across the street driving all the ancillary lights to the megatree...

Sigh....

down to critical elements:
    megatree
    singing faces
    font yard mini-trees...

If I lose anything else- ill shut it all down.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sadly I've been offline too for the last two days, and tomorrow's weather forecast of 100% of thunderstorms means it looks like no display for Christmas Eve

However to brighten our mood, Christmas Day is all sun!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow .. we need some positive posts in this topic !

I was running good through the heavy rain, but when it really hit hard I didn't want to press my luck. I think it was around 7:20 that I shut off the display. But the rain was light about 30 minutes later, so I cranked it back up again. My show stayed up all the way to 9:30 (my regular stopping time).

It was massively packed here not long after I turned the show back on. Then the police spent some time making all the cars keep moving. When I looked out, the police had scattered about 15 to 20 cars, and there were at least 30 cars on the parkway waiting to get in. The standard reaction when the police get the cars moving is for a lot of them to park and walk up .. So a few minutes later the yard and front of the driveway was loaded. The rain didn't seem to slow them down. I was thinking about going out to chat (like I usually do when the crowds are large), but Helen and I were getting pretty tired about then ..

Christmas Eve (tonight) is always the most hectic. I keep all the cars moving starting at 7pm when Santa (about my height) is in the driveway to hand out candy canes. I switched to "Bob's Peppermint Stripes" wrapped candy balls this year. They a better wrapped and they taste better than the little candy canes. I have 1600 to hand out this year, unless the rain keeps some of the cars away.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Popped GFI twice at beginning of show. When out and put cardboard under a few mini tree tomato cages and I'm up and running.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The ground is too wet and mine keep tripping. I need more GFCI outlets. I can plug each cord on an outlet in independently and it will work, but both together will trip it. I also noticed that when energizing pixels that the power factor ratio of the power supplies will be enough to trip the GFCI's. It's really odd.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We had trouble with the really heavy rain tripping our GFCIs too but ran all day on Christmas. Need to a better job of planning out our display next year and even out the load better too. That part didn't really occur to me much as I was putting lights here and there. Lol bad me. Next year will be better

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    We had trouble with the really heavy rain tripping our GFCIs too but ran all day on Christmas. Need to a better job of planning out our display next year and even out the load better too. That part didn't really occur to me much as I was putting lights here and there. Lol bad me. Next year will be better
    Power planning is my specialty. We can get you up to speed on the things you can do to keep your power balanced.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ok cool!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The rain kick our butt's too. Since we had rain for the next couple of day's after Christmas, we just gave it up for the rest of the season. Everything is down and put away now.