Thread: I finally got to drive around to some other local displays (Cary, Apex)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default I finally got to drive around to some other local displays (Cary, Apex)

I'm embarrassed to say tonight was the first night I've had a chance to go exploring other displays!

Between getting our own display up and running, then dealing with major power issues, and throw in basketball season for my daughter- its been chaos!

Anyways, I loaded up the locator app and started driving... here's where I visited tonight:
    Coronado Way (trainnut)
    Balmoral Drive (bartkiewicz)
    Crimmons Circle (kidcole)
    Sharp Top Trail (Lorbacher)

It was really fun looking at someones ELSES work after staring and obsessing over my own for the last few months!

I definitely got some ideas for improvements for next year:

1. I realized my house seems kind of bare without the top eaves decked out with icicles :-(
    2. I may need to bite the bullet and assign my arches their own channels to better chasing (right now I have 2 sets of 3, but all three on each side are daisy-chained)
    3. I need a better sign for my radio station... mine looks pretty damn cheesy compared to the rest :-)

Anyways, it was fun to cruise around other members displays... Im going to map out some more stops for tomorrow night as well!

If anyone knows any that are relatively closeby and perhaps NOT on the locator- let me know!

Also, I was curious to see if anyone else was doing singing faces? If so - let me know- Id like to see some other folks work on those as well.

Cheers!

Paul Lowe
    https://www.facebook.com/lowefamilylights

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: I finally got to drive around to some other local displays (Cary, Apex)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say tonight was the first night I've had a chance to go exploring other displays!

Between getting our own display up and running, then dealing with major power issues, and throw in basketball season for my daughter- its been chaos!

Anyways, I loaded up the locator app and started driving... here's where I visited tonight:
    Coronado Way (trainnut)
    Balmoral Drive (bartkiewicz)
    Crimmons Circle (kidcole)
    Sharp Top Trail (Lorbacher)

It was really fun looking at someones ELSES work after staring and obsessing over my own for the last few months!

I definitely got some ideas for improvements for next year:

1. I realized my house seems kind of bare without the top eaves decked out with icicles :-(
    2. I may need to bite the bullet and assign my arches their own channels to better chasing (right now I have 2 sets of 3, but all three on each side are daisy-chained)
    3. I need a better sign for my radio station... mine looks pretty damn cheesy compared to the rest :-)

Anyways, it was fun to cruise around other members displays... Im going to map out some more stops for tomorrow night as well!

If anyone knows any that are relatively closeby and perhaps NOT on the locator- let me know!

Also, I was curious to see if anyone else was doing singing faces? If so - let me know- Id like to see some other folks work on those as well.

Cheers!

Paul Lowe
    https://www.facebook.com/lowefamilylights
    Hi Paul. I wish you had stopped to say hi .. As you noticed, I am not doing the show this year. We've been going to a lot of family parties and other things. The family had issues with me for missing everything .. and we were worn out from the crowds last year.

If you are out tonight, a great show to see would be @Don Williams .. just drive to downtown Wendell and there will be signs all over the place for Lake Myra Christmas. Don has over 300K lights and 700 (or more) channels of LOR. Tonight is a particularly good night because Judy Pancoast is singing there live. Her big hit is House in Christmas Street. We had her sing at our TASL convention a couple years ago ..

I am DJ-ing a Christmas Karaoke Party tonight (for friends), but I'm leaving my wife to run it so I can go out to Don's show. For anyone going out tonight, I plan to get there around 5pm .. It's particularly fun to see a big display at dusk, although I am not sure exactly when Don will fire it up. Certainly by 6pm. But I also want to socialize and say hi. I'll message you my cell phone in case you come out. I will probably only stay till about 7pm ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: I finally got to drive around to some other local displays (Cary, Apex)

It was like 9PM so I didnt want to disturb you....I'll send a note in advance next time!

Our family has started arriving from out of town today and we have a family dinner tonight (and tomorrow night, and so on...)- so not sure if Id make it to Wendell till LATE.... any idea what hours she's performing?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It was like 9PM so I didnt want to disturb you....I'll send a note in advance next time!

Our family has started arriving from out of town today and we have a family dinner tonight (and tomorrow night, and so on...)- so not sure if Id make it to Wendell till LATE.... any idea what hours she's performing?
    Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been online since Saturday afternoon .. You cal always contact me until 9:30 pm .. or even later if the lights in the house are on. Of course when my show is running (next year), I am always here (with the exception of the TASL tour evening) ..

Judy was on at 7pm for an hour .. I saw Dariusz before I left (around 8:15), so I hope you two tied out ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been online since Saturday afternoon .. You cal always contact me until 9:30 pm .. or even later if the lights in the house are on. Of course when my show is running (next year), I am always here (with the exception of the TASL tour evening) ..

Judy was on at 7pm for an hour .. I saw Dariusz before I left (around 8:15), so I hope you two tied out ..
    Dariosz and I DID connect and chatted for a while!

He also gave me a few displays in Morrisville to check out - planning to do that tomorrow (since tonight looks like Ill be babysitting GFCI's :-( )

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Last night we loaded up the car and checked out our Morrisville/Cary neighbor displays as well!

Sorry, I don't know everyone's name yet, but we hit:

Highcroft Dr, Cary
    Morris Branch Ct, Cary,
    Hortons Creek, Cary,
    Station Drive, Morrisville,

I may have some mixed-up in my head now, but:

Very cool RGB tree at the first stop (Cosmic Ribbons?). My daughter suggested a "guitar hero" style song where the notes come down the ribbons :-)

Morris Branch had 5 (or 6?) homes linked together... very neat. Liked the sequenced icicle lights and LOVED the spoof sequence!!!!

Also saw a house that was 100% smart pixels... (snowflake design on garage door). Pretty radically different from everything see we saw... it was like a time machine trip into the future.... my wife was like, "you need to get to work for next year"

Doh!

Anyways, we are pretty lucky to have half a dozen displays within 10 minutes of our house! Thanks to all for sharing!!

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Last night we loaded up the car and checked out our Morrisville/Cary neighbor displays as well!
    Morris Branch had 5 (or 6?) homes linked together... very neat. Liked the sequenced icicle lights and LOVED the spoof sequence!!!!
    Great to meet you and the family last night, Paul! Stop by anytime!!!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry, I don't know everyone's name yet, but we hit:

.................................................. .

Also saw a house that was 100% smart pixels... (snowflake design on garage door). Pretty radically different from everything see we saw... it was like a time machine trip into the future.... my wife was like, "you need to get to work for next year"

Doh!

Anyways, we are pretty lucky to have half a dozen displays within 10 minutes of our house! Thanks to all for sharing!!
    I am curious where you saw this pixel house ? I am not aware of any members houses with all pixels ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm guessing it's the Station Dr house. I've seen the others and they aren't all pixels...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am curious where you saw this pixel house ? I am not aware of any members houses with all pixels ..
    218 Station Drive, Morrisville, North Carolina

Maybe Im wrong- but it looked 100% smart rgb/pixel to me.

-13218016-1387125681-120x90.jpg

I found one of his shows on youtube... after watching- perhaps the trees and bushes aren't pixels - but the arches, giant snowflake, star, mega tree, house outlines, etc sure look like it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am hoping to do the same (road trip) next season. There are so many displays I haven't seen.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    I am hoping to do the same (road trip) next season. There are so many displays I haven't seen.
    Would be great to see you Wayne .. Let us know in advance ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I certainly will. I really wanted to do this season, but free time was very rare this month.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas