Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Is It Worth It ?

Well everyone I am still around and as all of you know I am working on the display and will be for the next 7 weeks, so if you do not hear from me much on our forum, this is the reason. As I was working today I thought of a true story that I would love to share with everyone here. This is a little long but I believe you will find it worth reading. We all put so much time and money into our displays and you might ask yourself one simple question.

IS IT WORTH IT ?

I am 63 years old and have had a display as long as I can remember. I have used computer control for some years and have been using LOR since it open its doors. I would like to share a letter that I received 5 years ago :

Dear Sir,

About a week & half ago my dad was diagnosed with liver cancer. They say he is already so bad that he is beyond there help. They gave him a month to two months to live, but in just a few days he is already bed ridden. Before he got this bad, a friend of ours told us about your Christmas light show. So we took my dad to see them and you would not believe how happy they made him. And the story about the candles made all of us feel good. I know that it must have taken a tremendous amount of hard work to put together a production like that, and I just had to let you know that you gave me and my family Christmas Spirit in a time we thought that we could not have had any. Thank You so very much !

And the letter was signed my this young girl.

I tried to locate this girl with out any luck. And then about a week went by , I was speaking with some of the spectators at our display. I was talking with this fellow that was extremely interested in designing his on display like ours. I said to him if he would like to see the behind the scenes of a computer display. You could really see the excitement in him and his family. A couple of nights went by and this family was back again and I told him about the letter.

Now this is when the excitement happens !!!

This fellow took out his cell phone and made a call. He then said ; This girl you are trying to find will be here shortly . Sure enough she arrived and all of us had tears.

This was the most wonderful experience I have ever had related to our display.

We receive a number of letters and cards every year but this letter was special. The following year we dedicated our Four Candles of Light display to her father in our private community show.

You can read more on our web site www.lakemyrachristmas.com . Just go to Displays.

Is it worth the time, and investment ? It really changed my life !

Guess who this fellow is that I was talking to ?

One of our members Mike Hunter. We are now best of friends. He helps me with my display and I help him and we share ideas. We talk to each other almost on a daily schedule.

I know I will continue until I past and hopefully God will let me share the Christmas Spirit for a many more years.

Hope you have enjoyed this story and you never know ; Your display can change your life, so keep up the hard work .

Happy lighting to everyone

Don Williams
    Lake Myra Christmas
    Wendell, NC

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Is It Worth It ?

WOW ! Thanks for sharing that with us Don
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you Don. I don't know what to say, except thank you.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Don,

That was beautiful.

This is why we do what we do.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

The Voice Of Christmas thedementedelf's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Don:
    Thanks so much for sharing that. Its moments like that, that truly make all this worth it. I'm in my third year of doing animated lights, before that a static display. I always have my lights turn on 6pm Thanksgiving night. My family and I moved into our house 9 years ago. I noticed the first few years a young girl about 6 and her Grandmother would be standing in front of the house by 6:05 every Thanksgiving. It had become a part of their Thanksgiving, have dinner then walk down to see the lights. A couple of years ago I noticed a different woman( the mother) with the young girl. I went out to say hi and asked about the Grandmother. They told me she had passed away during the year. The girl is now in her mid teens and every Thanksgiving her and her Mom are outside by 6:05. It's now a tradition for them and as the girl says, its a great way to remember her Grnadmother.
    Demented? yes but in the best possible sense.

thedementedelf@charter.net
    www.thedementedelf.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's a great story....
    Jen...