Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default How did your teardown go ?

Usually by now we've been sharing our teardown stories. So I'll kick off with mine.

The weekend after New Years my helper group came over. We were able to get everything disassembled, packed and stored in about 5 hours. It was a little different this year because the main stuff needed to be stored for two years. But Helen wanted some of the lights for next year, to do a static display. That made me exhausted because things were moving so fast .. but I managed to pull it off. I also did something different this year for myself. I mounted all my pixel related stuff (RGB Tree and Coro Flakes) on pegboard near each other. And then this weekend I wired them all so I can easily plug in my switch and run them on the wall. It will be handy over the next two years having quick access to them to see how my new sequencing looks. So as of today I am completely finished with teardown and storage...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: How did your teardown go ?

Tear down?

We're supposed to tear down our display?

Actually, this head cold has kept me inside, so I haven't started mine yet. I'll probably be putting the stuff near the road away in the evenings this week.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I too havent done a whole lot. I've been busy with many other things. The megatree and house lights are down and in the garage. Everything else is still up.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Shoot I had mine down in about two days total, Sat. before last. 8 full days to put up and 2 to get it down lol.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm 80% completed on teardown. I would have beed already done but I didn't have all the time availavle during past 2 weekends. Everything went well and I was able to find storage space for all new items.

Dariusz

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

helper crew whats that every thing is down except the wreath i for got every thing is in the shed i was going to start checking things but marie and i are doing a house upgrade and that will take about 2 weeks but the new storage building is full i already see im going to have expand it working by my self i have to work about 30 mins and rest for 30 tear down took almost 6 days i would not wish m/s on my worst enemy son you say oh he found a way out of it this year but i got me a plan he he he.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We should discuss having a crew. I learned after my first year that I was not going to be able to handle a large display unless I had help. So I concentrated first on getting the storage space along with buying a LOT of Rubbermaid tubs for things. The my neice put the group together very quickly and everyone likes helping. I also consulted others with large shows and found out that they are doing the same thing.

I would suggest to any of you who are thinking of growing .. put a group together. It's fun and very helpful. And people really like helping. We used to take them all to 5 guys burgers and buy them lunch afterwards. But last Fall we started having a barbeque at the house and everyone likes that even better. We also provide coffee and breakfast snacks early .. which gets people here sooner. All in all it's a fun time and well worth the cost on our part.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Carl B Zachary

We are 100% tore down, but still have 1/3 of the blowmold to store away.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have it all down but its now in my garage....

Now to storage....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm still have about 25% stuff still out in the yard/house. I was hoping for a warm day this week without much rain to be able to pull down the stuff off the house and the last big pixel fan, but it didn't happen. So we'll get this frozen stuff and then see what we can do about getting stuff down...

I had some other projects that I've been working on that have kept me from focusing on teardown. Oh, well
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default How did your teardown go ?

My trees are still wrapped, but everything else is put away in the basement. By put away I mean stacked in box in the middle of the floor...
    - Scott M.
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    I'm still have about 25% stuff still out in the yard/house. I was hoping for a warm day this week without much rain to be able to pull down the stuff off the house and the last big pixel fan, but it didn't happen. So we'll get this frozen stuff and then see what we can do about getting stuff down...

I had some other projects that I've been working on that have kept me from focusing on teardown. Oh, well
    Are you going to leave your Coro columns on the house again ? That's an interesting experiment for how we can expect our display items and lights to weather .. Tell us a little about those, such as how long they have been out, and what lights are inside. And have you seen any problems with them yet ... ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just so it's clear - I didn't leave my coro columns or verticals up on the house this year. I did leave up my pixel line that is embedded in flat coro under the eaves. These are the 2801 pixels with 4" spacing. Each coro piece is 8 ft long, and has 32 pixels inserted in holes drilled thru the coro. The panels got put up there in early November 2011 and haven't come down since. It's not that sheltered, but is just under the gutters on the front of my house. It's a southern exposure, so it gets sun all year round.

I haven't noticed any yellowing of the coro, and it doesn't seem that brittle. The coro was bought at a local sign shop, I believe, so it may have some UV protection. It's not the coro that Mel Welch got for some of us, since those pieces were cut in half for transport.

As for my coro columns, they sat outside for part of the year in my back yard. When I tested them before putting them up, some of the LED strips had failed and either wouldn't lite up or one color was out. Note that these are dumb 12V RGB strips about 2 ft long, and had just the rounded silicone over the front. The coro columns don't have a top or bottom covering the strip, just the rounded fluted coro in front of them. I replaced some of the strip, but shortly after they went back up on the house, I had a section on 2 different columns that had one color go out. Add to that a bad channel on one of my Ren48LSDs that drive them, and it was less than perfect for color.

The RGB strips were purchased sometime in late 2010 or early 2011. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd either get smart strips or get some in the sleeve to be better protected from the weather. I think that newer strips have better waterproofing than these.

Since it was nice out today, I got everything down from the house and yard today, except for the 9 poles with strip in them. Still have some cords to collect as well, but most everything is at least out of the front yard. Some things are stacked in the back yard inside the fence, and will get put in a shed shortly.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is great information @mschell! I am particularly impressed that you found no yellowing or going brittle. And you put as much weathering on them as we would typically do in 10 years .. probably worse since yours were out for the summer months. This tells me that the Coro is a good product for our display effects !

I had similar results with the dumb 12v RGB strips that I wound inside my Snowmen. Some sections have one color or another out. Fortunately you can't see it since the strips are wound around a PVC pipe. I would be very unhappy with those if I had mounted them in a straight line where the dead section could be seen ! I am working on some RGB Flood ideas using strips for higher density LEDs. I plan to share the design here and also offer a TASL workshop. I think those will also survive losing a section or two. But I wish they were more reliable. This is another topic that we should discuss this year. And maybe share with Ray Wu ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

denny at our store we had some coro signs that were out in the weather for 3 years when we moved them thay were found to be dry rotten and had to be destroyed just saying