Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Christmas Eve Traffic

We hit some new records last night. Since more people are telling more people .. the numbers are growing. I always go out as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve starting about 7:15pm to give all the kids a big Merry Christmas and hand out candy canes. Last year I handed out 1400 candy canes in 90 minutes. I recall being exhausted and sore last year, so I only bought 1200 candy canes. But then Rob <THANKS !!!!> saved my butt and dropped off more candy canes on Sunday night. And I am very glad, because I grossly underestimated the crowd.

I took a couple Naproxen pain relievers this year before it started. And I went out with the usual family elves in Santa Hats. But this time I had my oldest daughter Stacy handle a second basket of candy canes. This kept the cars moving a lot faster. With the pain meds coursing through my veins, I was able to last for two hours. We gave one candy cane per person in each car (usually 3 to five) .. one van with about 5 rows of seats had 12 kids and two adults. The mom in the passenger seat said it was all their family !! I figured it must have included adoptions, but ya never know. We handed out 2000 candy canes last night ... I still have a couple hundred left for tonight ... :-)

TONS of people were thanking me for the show, and asking why we were taking next year off. I told them that we needed some time off to visit other family members, so they don't always have to visit us. Everyone was very nice (of course) and said they would be back in two years to see us. And my Psycho Lady did not show up honking her horn last night! She made her two appearances last week, as far as I can tell. She loves that horn and making everyone mad at her !

If I include repeat visits, then we're probably running in the range of 15,000 viewers this year. Hmmmm, I wonder if we can double that in two years ? Plenty of time for everyone to tell others not to miss the show. I look forward to helping a lot of other CC members next year, and since I won't be shackled to the house, I'll be getting around to see everyone!

I am sad that Don Williams was not able to run after the wind storms. I spoke with Don a couple days ago and he said he may also try to get around to visit some houses next week.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Christmas Eve Traffic

WOW! Those are some crazy numbers. Last night I hit big numbers myself. I counted at least 250 cars and that was just what I saw. The way most of the vehicles came in to visit, they didn't even get near my Tune-to sign, so I believe it was just a collection of everyone that came by during the month, and not that many new visitors. One thing is for sure though, people are telling their friends.

Next year with the additions to the show, I'm going to easily create traffic congestion on our local roads as we are the second house in from the street. Our subdivision of 50 homes has 3 entrances/exits, so it's not so much a problem for the neighbors as it will be for north Raleigh rush hour. People cut out a busy light by cutting through our neighborhood and speeding, so by clogging the road with visitors, I plan to put a stop to that next December.

If you want lots of people in 2014, you may be in luck Denny. By then I hope to have my own place and not be at my current location anymore. This means I will use your sign idea and point past visitors to other displays. I can send my 2000 visitors (and their friends) to you.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Christmas Eve Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    WOW! Those are some crazy numbers. Last night I hit big numbers myself. I counted at least 250 cars and that was just what I saw. The way most of the vehicles came in to visit, they didn't even get near my Tune-to sign, so I believe it was just a collection of everyone that came by during the month, and not that many new visitors. One thing is for sure though, people are telling their friends.

Next year with the additions to the show, I'm going to easily create traffic congestion on our local roads as we are the second house in from the street. Our subdivision of 50 homes has 3 entrances/exits, so it's not so much a problem for the neighbors as it will be for north Raleigh rush hour. People cut out a busy light by cutting through our neighborhood and speeding, so by clogging the road with visitors, I plan to put a stop to that next December.

If you want lots of people in 2014, you may be in luck Denny. By then I hope to have my own place and not be at my current location anymore. This means I will use your sign idea and point past visitors to other displays. I can send my 2000 visitors (and their friends) to you.
    That's awesome Sam. Most of us run one of the Christmas Carolina announcements made by Demented Elf. And I get lots of people thanking me for the reference to ChristmasCarolina.com. They hit the site on the home page and select the Display Locator. I know they have been finding Dariusz house that way. Unfortuntely his house does not have a way to control the congestion .. We're discussing whether (or not) I should put a sign up for his house next year. 20 cars would jam his place .. at least until they all got moving. It's not wide enough for cars to get by in both directions, so when one stops then the whole street can get stuck.

I look forward to seeing your show in the TASL tour !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control