Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Share your bummers, mistakes and problems ..

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Share your bummers, mistakes and problems ..

I keep a book. It has two things in it. A link to Christmas Carolina . Com and a link to the LOR site. Then it's always up to date!!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Share your bummers, mistakes and problems ..

Got home from dinner tonight to find my show doing NOTHING. Turns out the wife (my sweetie love muffin) unplugged my computer to plug in an extra lamp; I run my show from our library. Of course the computer battery died about 5 min after the show started. Good thing I was only for for 3 HOURS!!!
    144 Channels - 75,000 LED Lights
    Blowmolds, Virtual Santa & other good stuff
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Swapped computers earlier today so I could have a dedicated machine for the show. Show time came and I kept getting errors while the computer was trying to read the various sequences. It dropped one sequence all together and kept going. Flipped everything back to the computer I had things running on between cars outside and got things fired back up without too long of a delay. Will need to sit down with the other machine and run more tests to figure out what the issues are.
    The Grinch: MAX. HELP ME... I'm FEELING.....and as always, Keep Clam and Chive On!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I keep a book. It has two things in it. A link to Christmas Carolina . Com and a link to the LOR site. Then it's always up to date!!
    then its not complete, your missing one

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yea you forgotAUSCHRISTMASLIGHTING.COM
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    yea you forgotAUSCHRISTMASLIGHTING.COM
    If I did anything HALF as fancy as what Eddy and the rest of that group does, I would have that bookmarked. My show is "simple"...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd like to say my show is stable and no more bugs .. but to the contrary, I am dealing with something new today. And I can see a separate posing with a full summary coming later. For now I need to resolve a major issue that popped up last night and made me very unhappy with the show all evening. BTW - I did not sit around stewing about it. Instead, I started handing out candy canes .. Usually I wait until Christmas Eve in my Santa suit for handing them out .. but Rob brought me a nice pile of extra bulk pack candy canes last night ! The good kind <SPANGLER> too ... THANKS ROB !!!!!!!!!

Here's my issue:

Last night when I plugged in my RGBs (the ones with the China 3-channel controllers) everything looked fine. All of the controllers go into test mode when they are powered. In test mode I can see all 16 RGB effects slowing moving between Red, Green and Blue. It's a nice way to know that everything is still 100% (with no loss of LEDs). But when the show started two of my RGB snowmen were not responding to their designated channels. And the same with one of the Ornaments. The ornament had actually moved to a new channel that matched up with one of my 12" mini-trees ! very odd .. Even tho these little controllers can handle fairly heavy loads (up to about 4 amps each), when you group a bunch of them to gether you will notice a heavy surge when you power them on at the same time. I combined them into a CG-1500 box with two 100W 12v power supplies and apparently that's a pretty big load to power up all at once.

I will explain a lot more later (such as why I have to power them off everynight) .. but for now I have to tear the darned controller apart to remove the DMX lines from each of the "problem" controllers... so I can set the DMX address <AGAIN> ! To net this one out for now .. I think I have discovered that the China 3-channel controllers WILL lose their DMX address. And for that reason I now consider them to be NOT reliable for a complex show. I have some spares in case I find out that the units will not take their DMX address, but hopefully I won't need to resort to that.

I am glad I tried mixing a lot of different technolgies this year. Even tho I hit some walls that I didn't like (such as with the Renard clocks)....I'm am getting to the point where I can show some good pluses and some minuses of each.

PM Update - Gee what a fun day <not>. I worked straight through until now to fix the programming. I found Snowman 1 starting on channel 45 (45, 46, 47) but it was programmed to start on channel 301 (301, 302, 303) for my how. Likewise Snowman 4 originally programmed to start on 310 was found on channel 54 ! Ornament 4 was programmed to start on channel 170 and it had reset to channel 1. This is quite possibly a good reason not to use these little controllers. At least with the standard DC controllers, the DMX address is set with DIP switches so it cannot change. Another alternative would be to make sure that they have connectors on all three wires (Power, DMX and the RGB outputs). Then have spares that are ready to program and pop into a live show very quickly. I am not sure if it's worth all that. This will be some good discussion at our first TASL meeting of 2013 !
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    I have 5 of these in each of my 2 CoroFlakes. I have had ZERO problems with them. In fact, they sat unpowered in my shed most of the year, and are still at the same addresses they were from last year.

I bought mine from HolidayCoro, but I'm sure they're the same models as what Ray Wu sells....

Now, I only have 5 of them on a single power supply, and I run them from my j1sys ECG-DR8, but that shouldn't matter...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Denny,
    I have 5 of these in each of my 2 CoroFlakes. I have had ZERO problems with them. In fact, they sat unpowered in my shed most of the year, and are still at the same addresses they were from last year.

I bought mine from HolidayCoro, but I'm sure they're the same models as what Ray Wu sells....

Now, I only have 5 of them on a single power supply, and I run them from my j1sys ECG-DR8, but that shouldn't matter...
    All of mine came from Holiday Coro. The two the changed to channels 45 and 54 are in a CG1500 case with another 6 (8 total), and two power supplies. The supplies each of two outputs on them, so I have two 3-chan controllers on each power output. It is particularly strange that they changed to addresses that are the exact same number of channels in between. But they are not in the typical RGB order that starts with "1"

ALSO - - I would be interested in hearing your comparison of the ECG models and the E68x models. ECG offers a lot more capacity variations. What about their setup and control features? Grouping ?
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Another update. Last night at the start of the TASL tour, my final Renard quit working. I have no idea why. Pilot light on. Just won't work. 21 Channels of lights lost for the entire night last night. Today I pulled the Renard controllers and replaced them with LOR (THANKS David !). And I also got my first two TIR Flood lights going today. Wow ! An amazing effect. I put them in several songs .. it's a different kind of sequencing with Spot lights. I am starting to see what I like and what I don't like. They really throw dramatic color on the house. I had planned for the TASL tour to see the floods but I spent all my time trying to fix the #@$%^ Renard.

Update on the flickering issues. Those might be the fault of something in my laptop. Sam noticed that there was still a ton of switch activity even when song were not playing. I had figured the status lights on the switch just worked that way .. But this may be related to where the flickering was coming from when I tried using two different DMX Universes from the E681. Instead I have been using my DMX King (ENTTEC Clone) adapter that I bought for testing. I am sure glad I had it !

The show is really clean tonight. I like the floods so much I will add at least a 3rd tomorrow .. maybe a 4th ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I really had my share of issues this season. Maybe more than my share. I had another issue yesterday when 20 pixels started flickering inside one of my CoroFlakes. Thinking it might have something to do with moisture, I pulled the cover off the CoroFlake this morning and it was dry inside. I put the E681 in test mode and sure enough the pixels were still messed up .. I turned of the power to the E681 and pulled off the waterproof 4-pin connector and there was moisture inside on the pins !! These are the connectors that also have the little o-rings to seal out the water. The connector was tight, so I cannot see how water got in there. I cleaned it out with electrical lubricant and closed it as tight as I could. The pixels worked perfectly. I am using 28 of these connectors in my show so I randomly checked a dozen of them .. no issues with moisture. Ugh !

I felt happy that I didn't have to replace any pixel modules .. so I spent some time putting 3 TIR <RGB> Floods into the show tonight. I finally got the show to 100% with only two days left to run. Talk about sliding into home plate ! I am very happy with the TIR Floods, and they will be in my videos (yet to be shot). My show in two years will use 7 or 8 of them. I also need to replace my old Mighty Mini spot lights .. many of the LEDs have died inside and they are just worn out. I plan to replace the Mighty Minis with more powerful 5050 LEDs inside. This might be a good workshop for 2013, if others are interested.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole