Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Renard SS series buys

  1. #1
    Registered User JediKnight2's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    128
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Mentioned
    2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23

    Default Renard SS series buys

    Are you guys going to do a phone tree thing for the first round of Renard SS boards...I think I am going to get one this year and try it out for next season. Just curious as they seem to sell out QUICK

  2. #2
    Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsboro, NC
    Posts
    1,499
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    78
    Mentioned
    39
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    They do sell very quickly; ones I've been involved in quite often last only a couple of hours before they hit the group buy limit. I remember the first one closing in only 47 minutes or so.

    I now have 5 Renard SS 24 controllers to match my 5 LOR CTB16PC controllers. That's 200 channels of AC control. I think I'm going to concentrate more on DC/RGB control this coming year.

  3. #3
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    I am very luke warm on Renard right now. I have two assembled into a 48 channel box. And I have a thrid spare one that is unbuilt. Thursday night one of the Renards simply started blowing fuses .. SO I had to put my spare LOR controllers into service (which I didn't want to do) .. The second RENARD SS24 board has been working, but I am getting a really bad flicker from it 9when all lights are full intensity). I have been trying different things every night so see what it might be. Tonight I am going to swap in some new PICs (3 per board). The flickering is REALLY annoying and I might have to find a couple more LOR controllers if I can't fix the mess soon. I have never had issues like this with LOR. I was excited about getting lower power Renards for about $2.50 per channel compared with $11 for LOR. But now I am not sure it's worth all the trouble. It could be something in my own cables. Maybe some crosstalk .. but I am not sure. It's not in the DMX because I am also running 16 of the little China 3-channel RGB controllers on the same DMX line - - and those are clean !

    BTW Jack, I like the little 3-channel controllers. They are a small pain to program the DMX address but other than that they work nicely with no issues.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  4. #4
    Registered User Samj435's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    670
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Mentioned
    59
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    196

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    I'll be planning to get at least 2 more SS24's, and maybe an SS16 or SS8.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

  5. #5
    Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsboro, NC
    Posts
    1,499
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    78
    Mentioned
    39
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am very luke warm on Renard right now. I have two assembled into a 48 channel box. And I have a thrid spare one that is unbuilt. Thursday night one of the Renards simply started blowing fuses .. SO I had to put my spare LOR controllers into service (which I didn't want to do) .. The second RENARD SS24 board has been working, but I am getting a really bad flicker from it 9when all lights are full intensity). I have been trying different things every night so see what it might be. Tonight I am going to swap in some new PICs (3 per board). The flickering is REALLY annoying and I might have to find a couple more LOR controllers if I can't fix the mess soon. I have never had issues like this with LOR. I was excited about getting lower power Renards for about $2.50 per channel compared with $11 for LOR. But now I am not sure it's worth all the trouble. It could be something in my own cables. Maybe some crosstalk .. but I am not sure. It's not in the DMX because I am also running 16 of the little China 3-channel RGB controllers on the same DMX line - - and those are clean !

    BTW Jack, I like the little 3-channel controllers. They are a small pain to program the DMX address but other than that they work nicely with no issues.
    Denny -

    I had a similar issue with the Renard that was running some of my leaping arches. It was something stupid on my part; I had made channel configuration changes from last year and had some of the channels defined twice. Once I resolved that, no more flickering problems. I'm not saying you have the same issue but it's something to look for.

  6. #6
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Denny -

    I had a similar issue with the Renard that was running some of my leaping arches. It was something stupid on my part; I had made channel configuration changes from last year and had some of the channels defined twice. Once I resolved that, no more flickering problems. I'm not saying you have the same issue but it's something to look for.
    I am digging into my channels and I could not find any duplicates on the DMX network. BUT, I did find a couple spares that were defined to channels that dont exist. That happened when I moved some channels off the Renard SS24 that "blew out" on me. I will keep looking closely tho. It's easy to make a mistake. I'll test this out tomorrow. I appreciate the help !
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  7. #7
    Registered User mschell's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    40
    Mentioned
    24
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    There's been lots of discussion on the Renard flicker. Personally, I think it's poor EMI filtering in the power supply section of the board. The simple answer that is given on DIYC is to put a surge suppressor on your AC input. That's just extra EMI filtering that takes up space.

    I have 2 or 3 Renard DC boards that I have the DMX firmware on. They work great, and since there's a proper DC power supply with filtering on it, it doesn't have the flicker problem.

    I have plenty of AC controllers already, so no new Renard AC for me.
    Mark

    New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

  8. #8
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    There's been lots of discussion on the Renard flicker. Personally, I think it's poor EMI filtering in the power supply section of the board. The simple answer that is given on DIYC is to put a surge suppressor on your AC input. That's just extra EMI filtering that takes up space.

    I have 2 or 3 Renard DC boards that I have the DMX firmware on. They work great, and since there's a proper DC power supply with filtering on it, it doesn't have the flicker problem.

    I have plenty of AC controllers already, so no new Renard AC for me.
    I don't have any references for a surge suppressor circuit. Can you post a schematic and parts list ? Or do I need to buy one retail ? Seems like I used to have them around for my old computers, but not in the last 20 years ..
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  9. #9
    Registered User Samj435's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    670
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Mentioned
    59
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    196

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Denny, I have one you can borrow to see if that will fix it before you spend $ on some that might not fix it.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

  10. #10
    Registered User mschell's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    40
    Mentioned
    24
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79

    Default Renard SS series buys

    They were recommending a $20 one from WalMart. It had to say EMI on the box. To me, this says that the controller needs one built into it, but no one has proposed a modification to the current design.
    Mark

    New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

  11. #11
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Denny, I have one you can borrow to see if that will fix it before you spend $ on some that might not fix it.
    Thanks Sam. I am not sure how soon I can get up there. I may just grab one ..
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  12. #12
    Registered User Samj435's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    670
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Mentioned
    59
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    196

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Thanks Sam. I am not sure how soon I can get up there. I may just grab one ..
    I work in cary now. Can bring it over tomorrow if you want.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

  13. #13
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard SS series buys

    Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I work in cary now. Can bring it over tomorrow if you want.
    Excellent. Yes, I'd like to try it .. I started up the show tonight and it looks horrible. SOmetimes there is flashing where I did not even have any sequencing. And then other times the flicker is not there at all.

    I think I will also query the group to borrow or purchase another LOR. The Renard needs to go offline anyhow, to fix the dead one. And if your surge suppressor does not help, then I'll need to replace the controller anyhow ..
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •