Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Crowds Heating Up This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Wow Larry. Congratulations. The new parking lot did the trick.
    Thanks Al the new parking lot helped but there were 4 nights that we were full to capacity and they were parked along the highway. We had a lot of media coverage this season that brought a lot of new visitors. Pilot News, Mount Airy News, Winston Salem Journal, Piedmont Parent Magazine and Fox 8 news. Also Facebook was a boost in visitors this season.

It sounds like everyone had a good turn out this year and that is the reason that we all do this or at least that is the reason we have a display is to share and put smiles on faces.
    Larry & Rachel Charpiat
    Pilot Mountain Christmas
    Web Site: http://pilotmountainchristmas.com/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pilot.m.christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yep it is good to keep up with some of these numbers. We had to keep a close eye on the visitor count this year since we will moving into the town next year. The town police really helped us by installing electronic counters. Problem there was that the counter was so busy that the battery went dead the last 7 days. LOL But it is going to give us a pretty good count of the traffic flow which they need for next year.

Counting people is hard because they are always coming and going. A walk thru display would be easy. A lot will sign the guest book but a lot did not. I am going to work with the police next year and see if we can come up with a pretty accurate count.

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I have not thought much about mine until now. I ran 4.5 hours on Weekdays and 5.5 hours on Fri and Sat. We were never less than 20 cars per hour on the very slowest times, and over 200 cars per hour on the heavy days when the cop was managing and when "Santa" was in my driveway. I passed out 1350 candy canes in 90 minutes. So that was roughly 900 people per hour. I figure Christmas Eve was 1000 cars total at least. I made a quick spreadsheet estimating the daily loads. Of which 6 days were very heavy traffic (Dec 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 25). A VERY conservative estimate is 7200 cars for the month. Most likely more. No way to tell how many people. There were lots of repeats, but quite a few busses and stretch limos. The retirement homes came every hour with 20 people per run on Christmas Eve and Christmas night.

For the off days it was mostly one driver and bunch of kids (or just couples). On the 4 days through Christmas the cars were packed. I think at least 10,000 people saw my show this year (removing the repeats).
    That is so awesome! It is great to see the hard work rewarded with so many people enjoying it!