Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default High School Band in trouble - Brain storm session

Ok gang, I am the treasure for our High School Band Boosters.

We have pretty much no budget. A long list of needs. Support from the district is very low and that in not going to change anytime soon. On top of that I have an enormous Athletic Booster club fighting me every step of the way.

I need ideas for raising money, obtaining donations, hooking up with organizations that would offer discounts. Places you can get merchandise cheap. Any kind of help I can get.

I have Marching, concert , jazz and pep bands. A dance and flag team. We lost our Orchestra program this year due to budget cuts and I don't want to see the band lost. I am afraid it's on that path.

Our needs -

A big year end trip for the entire band program
    Awards Ceremony For our Seniors and outstanding underclassmen
    Summer scholarships
    Pavilion on our practice field
    Travel expense fund for away games, festivals and Parades
    Trip to Battle of the Band in Atlanta, Ga
    Fund for Band Camp 2011/2012
    Fund to aid under privileged band students with expenses
    Operating Fund for Band Boosters
    More funds to purchase merchandise
    Funds to Build a float for parade
    Advertising and marketing fund
    Popcorn machine
    Tent

The major issue is next year we will be responsible for assistant salaries as well.

My goal this year is to raise a minimum of $15k

Any ideas?
    Out of the box stuff.

We have car washes and doughnut sales.
    All the normal crap. I need some good stuff.
    Jen...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: High School Band in trouble - Brain storm session

Jen
    How about having a Pancake Breakfast Most of the Applebees Will cook the pancake check and see if they do in SC our lions club did one.
    Charity

Carl B Zachary

My 1st thought is have them learn some songs that Kenny (since he so close ) has programmed for his show and have them preform live during the show. Of course have the donation box out there for everyone to contribute.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks.

I already have Applebees lined up to do a breakfast.

I would love to try and get Kenny involved and LOR involved. One thing we are going to do this year that is new is the booster club is going to have a float in the parades. One town has enough sense to have their Christmas parade at night. I want to make it one extra nice.

I am kinda scared about syncing the music to what the kids are playing. If they mess it it will make it all the more obvious and we are having a rough start this year.

I wonder how some lighted props that could be rolled onto the field for the homecoming show would look? We need more impact because our band is small.
    Jen...

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Jen -

Andy's also does the pancake breakfast thing; the cost is about the same as Applebee's. I don't know what you have available in your area.

As far as synchronizing lights to the band instruments on a float or similar......I just did a quick search and couldn't find it (but it was just a quick search) Someone had written a LOR driver (outside of S2) that would that would effectively turn the LOR controller into a graphics equalizer - not time synchronized, but frequency and input synchronized, so you could have a light string or two for the trumpets, another one or two for the trombones, another for the tuba, more for the woodwinds, and of course, several for the drums.

I believe I saw references to it on the LOR forum back in 2010. While it wouldn't get you the spectacular effects you can program for recorded music, it would have the benefit of being synchronized to whatever they'd be playing at the time, or even just a drum cadence.

How adaptable are the various bands to playing music with minimal practice? Can the dance band play accompanyment to someone like Judy Pancoast (www.judypancoast.com) or Brian Kinder (www.kindersongs.com) Brian's general target audience is younger than high school, but but both of them look for ways to promote themselves, usually helping out local organizations while doing that.

And yes, I understand the problem with the athletic supporters. I played trombone when I went to high school; it was always "oh, yeah, there's a band.....but have you seen our football team? Our basketball team?"

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks....

I don't think we have an Andy's , I have never heard of them. I am going to a fundraiser breakfast Saturday at place called Fat's Cafe. I am going to look into that and see what the offer.

That LOR driver sounds like something I could use.

Somebody made this on their own or Dan made it?

I was thinking of trying to get Judy involved. I just don't have my Christmas dates confirmed yet. I never heard of the other guy. I will check him out.
    Jen...

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

http://www.kindersongs.com/

I've been thinking about using the above song as a show opener; just have two effects "talking" until the comment about plugging it in.

The LOR driver wasn't from Light-o-rama; it was a separate piece of software someone put out into the public domain.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Jen, I gave this some thought. The strong suit of where you live is local entertainment with lots of out of town guests. If you could leverage that you would be at an advantage as bake sales only go so far.

Before I became a Silverado truck person, I was a sports car person. Every year the Corvette Museum raffled off a vette, and I bought a ticket every year. I loved it. I talked crap about the person that won the car but every year I bought a ticket. The museum kept the total tickets sales low so that the odds of winning were quite good which attracted me. At the same time the cost of the tickets were somewhat high--about $100 or more I can't remember. The raffle stipulated that X number of tickets had to be sold before the raffle would go through. Every year the raffle sold out. If you had a similar fund raiser, you could align yourself with a local car dealership with an agreement of similar means. You could then get a place like the Palace or similar tourist attraction and get them to help advertise it which would be an excellent cause for them and would allow you access to out of town folks too. If you held the raffle over Christmas, people might buy a ticket as a Christmas present. Furthermore, you could sell tickets to out of state people like me. I would buy a ticket if it were something like a nice truck or a vette, and I would talk crap about the person that won it. This would be a huge amount of effort to begin, but you could do this each year and it would gain momentum each year. You could also raffle a Harley or something along those lines. If you make it for a lesser expensive car then some people that would afford a higher price ticket would not participate, and you would need to sell lots of tickets. The internet would be your friend in an endeavor of this sort.
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 09-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al has a great idea. Now, the fun is getting a dealer or some other business to buy in. This is where networking with the parents can come in. Find a parent that has a connection to a dealership or business, and get them to make the connection. Doesn't have to be a car, but something worth the work of a raffle.

Don't know what the restrictions on raffles are in SC, but be sure to check that out before going too far down that road. There are rules that need to be followed.

And don't discount cozying up to the athletic boosters. Make sure they know you're not trying to compete with them for funds, but to work together for the good of the team/band. Again, a parent of a student in the band and someone in athletics (perhaps in an off season sport) is a good contact.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!